Snoring gone after weight loss?

Options

Replies

• cmccorma
    cmccorma Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    My hubby lost 60 lbs. his is gone except for after a few drinks!
  • cjsacto
    cjsacto Posts: 1,421 Member
    Options
    I never wanted to admit that my snoring was linked to my weight, and I'm not sure if it is. It has caused a problem in my relationship, because my bf is a very light sleeper. We actually have a tough time sleeping in the same room unless I wear an uncomfortable mouthpiece. :(

I am hoping that as I lose weight, my snoring will decrease. (btw, he snores too, but I can fall asleep anyway)
  • KarenJean91
    KarenJean91 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    I know that as soon as my dad lost 80lbs, his snoring completely stopped.
  • BigG1978
    BigG1978 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Apparently I used to snore, but after loosing a few pounds it's almost gone (or so I'm told!).

I don't get nudged to stop snoring anymore, now I just get nudged for other reasons :bigsmile: lol
  • RadioactivePirate
    Options
    I was a very mild snorer before losing weight, but I have been informed that I don't do it at all now.
  • keeponkickin
    keeponkickin Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    I lost 110 pounds and snoring is completely gone and I sleep so much better and wake up refreshed.
  • bluesky248
    bluesky248 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I had sleep apnea too but it is gone for the most part after losing almost 32 pounds. Hubby noticed I only snore about once a week now and I no longer use my CPAP machine. Sleep on your side or stomach if possible, that helps some what but weight loss is the solution I'm thinking! good luck on your journey and keep on logging, it works!
  • Bigpelly8
    Bigpelly8 Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    I'm told I don't ever snore anymore....the Mrs. is thankful!!
  • marinegirl92
    marinegirl92 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    You're doing great!

My husband never used to snore... now that he's carrying an extra 30 - 40#'s he snores like a freight train. Especially after steak dinners.

WIth my weight loss... he's started to jump on the treadmill a few extra times per week :)

Here's hoping he stays with his exercise/eating program so I can sleep again in peace!
  • Gapwedge01
    Options
    http://apneos.com/twotypes.html

Weight loss helps with obstructive sleep apnea. Some with central apnea or jaw alignment issues may suffer apnea regardless of weight loss. I was diagnosed with severe sleep apnea in 2009. I have lost 30 pounds and still have it, but much less severe. Hopefully a few more pounds it will disappear.
  • JEG2012
    JEG2012 Posts: 158
    Options
    Sadly yes ... when I lost all my weight before, I didn't make a sound. Now that I've put some weight back on, it's a chain saw concert in the bedroom. :mad:
  • AmazonRDH
    AmazonRDH Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    I work @ a hospital and I hear this all the time......... weight gain increasing snoring and weight loss decreases or eliminates it, usually. It depends on the cause. my hubby, for example, is not overweight in the least and snores like a bear, his is caused from a deviated septum....... so again, it just depends but sounds like yours had the onset w/weight gain? so i'd be willing to bet it will improve or go away w/weight loss.... :smile:
  • beattie1
    beattie1 Posts: 1,012 Member
    Options
    I used to snore. I've lost weight in the past and regained again, more than once, and I think I've pinpointed the weight at which I start and stop snoring. I'm now well below that, but I reckon it's at around 220 lbs for me.
  • Tishy78
    Tishy78 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    As my ticker shows, I was very over weight. My hubby says my snoring has completely disappeared. My sleep also feels a lot more restful.
  • Bakkasan
    Bakkasan Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    Mine went away with my loss, I still use my mask because some nights I still do, but not often. I hate the random sore throat.
  • afrazier02
    Options
    I had the same problem. I had to have a cpap machine to set at 18 to help me breathe at night. 70 pounds lighter two months ago the md official put it in my chart that i no longer have sleep apnea.
  • 1yoyoKAT
    1yoyoKAT Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    I have experienced my sleep apnea going away as I lose weight. The loud snoring was gone after about 30 pounds.

One good thing about being diagnosed and treated for sleep apnea though was that getting better sleep has really helped me lose weight and change my eating habits. I used to be so tired all the time and I realized that a lot of my mindless snacking was rooted in attempting to snap out of the tiredness fog. Although my type of obstructive severe sleep apnea was caused by obesity, the untreated sleep apnea was itself a causative factor in my obesity. A vicious cycle.

The CPAP machines nowadays are low profile and almost silent. I would urge anyone who thinks they may have sleep apnea to see a physician about it and have a sleep study done if indicated. Once treated, the difference in the quality of sleep and the positive impact it has on the quality of life is truly amazing.
  • rxman13
    rxman13 Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    APNEA the most overdiagnosed "disease"in america
  • Melissa26point2
    Melissa26point2 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    I started snoring 7 years ago when I got pregnant with my first child and had gained 45 lbs. In the last 2 years, I have lost 40 lbs and stopped snoring completely, thank goodness!
  • TrishLG
    TrishLG Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    When someone starts snoring when they had not been, it is a sign of high blood pressure.
    Losing the weight probably brought down your blood pressure, so you don't snore anymore.
    Great sign.