I sweat a lot when I workout...DO YOU?

Options

Replies

• selbyhutch
    selbyhutch Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    I sweat a lot... no matter what. Even at 110 lbs, I would walk outside (live in FL) and back inside 5 minutes later and be dripping.

There are also genetics involved. I have nose sweat most of the time in the summer... so did my dad & his 2 children.
  • XFitMojoMom
    XFitMojoMom Posts: 3,255 Member
    Options
    I'm a sweaty person, I sweat in my sleep for crying out loud! I'm so sorry for my girls, but so do they :embarassed:
    My mom was always sweating too. I'm jealous of those who barely glisten during a workout. But I'm proud of leaving it all there on the floor :wink:
  • Opera_Bound
    Opera_Bound Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    I love this thread! I'm glad I'm not the only person who sweats an insane amount. I tell people that I could be in the Arctic Circle, Eating a Freeze Pop and I'd probably still be sweating! :ohwell: It's quite frustrating, but when I'm working out, I LOVE to be drenched. I mean, to the point where it drips off my elbows and fingertips! haha.

I'm gonna chalk it up to water intake/hydration levels. I notice when I'm not as well hydrated, I sweat a lot less. So, let's drink up :drinker: and enjoy the sweat! :glasses:
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    lol Yeah, I sweat like crazy. :happy: I told the girls in my Turbo Kick class one day that I was starting my own water park. They thought that was hilarious.
  • starkiss100
    starkiss100 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    I do too. Our gym hands out towels when you first walk in and I always have it on the machine with me when doing cardio. At least you know you are sweating out toxins, so that's a positive way to look at it. Just make sure you drink water after you work out or even during to replenish the hydration you are losing.
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    I sweat tons! Plus my face gets really red, just my face, nothing else. Just yesterday I was red faced and had sweat dripping off my face when I was doing my stretches after the treadmill. I could actually see the sweat drips on the floor! My hair on the back of my neck gets really wet too, which sucks because I have curly hair that I flat iron everyday!

Amen! I get REALLY red too... and having to wash and flat iron the hair after every work out is a pain... but it's soooo worth it. :bigsmile:

Same here!!!!!! I love my Chi :happy: My face get's extremely red and sweat drips like crazy. People probably think I run a marathon everytime I'm running down by the lake!

I'm another sweaty pig with curly hair..except I started getting it chemically straightened and it's SO AWESOME! No more Chi for me!

I usually leave the gym with a big ring of sweat on the front of my top that goes about halfway down my bubbies.

The only thing that bugs me is that I have to wipe my face constantly to keep sweat out of my eyes and mouth.
  • MissingMinnesota
    MissingMinnesota Posts: 7,486 Member
    Options
    I, like my mother, am a head sweater. I come out of the gym and it looks like I showered when I haven't. My face also gets really red. It is just recently that other areas are starting to sweat too and I am leaving the gym with neckless of sweat. I used to hate to sweat. The only issue I have is that it drys out my scalp so I get itchy scalp. I used to take 2 days off from washing my hair a week to help the oils come back but now I can't do that and some times take 2 showers a day. Any one know a good shampoo and conditioner to counter act it?

Oh and yes another sweaty curly haired person but I have pretty much given in to the curls. They are going to go wild anyway with the southern humdity.
  • Yurippe
    Yurippe Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    I, like my mother, am a head sweater. I come out of the gym and it looks like I showered when I haven't. My face also gets really red. It is just recently that other areas are starting to sweat too and I am leaving the gym with neckless of sweat. I used to hate to sweat. The only issue I have is that it drys out my scalp so I get itchy scalp. I used to take 2 days off from washing my hair a week to help the oils come back but now I can't do that and some times take 2 showers a day. Any one know a good shampoo and conditioner to counter act it?

Oh and yes another sweaty curly haired person but I have pretty much given in to the curls. They are going to go wild anyway with the southern humdity.

Shampooing that much will dry out your hair. Some people with oily scalp make it worse by over washing (same thing with oily skin on your face). Try washing with shampoo only every other day (or every third day). If you get your head wet and just use conditioner on the non shampoo days I think you'll see an improvement.
  • chgraham
    chgraham Posts: 122
    Options
    I was wondering if I was just that out of shape until I saw this thread. I have to take a towel to the gym when I use the cardio machines. I do love leaving the gym dripping....makes me feel like I have accomplished something. I have wavy hair that I straighten, so it is usually straight home after the gym and into the shower for me.
  • HealthyChanges2010
    HealthyChanges2010 Posts: 5,831 Member
    Options
    bump
  • marioz49
    marioz49 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I hate getting hot and sweaty...yuk. I prefer walking or swimming just so I don't have to sweat.
  • SimonLondon
    SimonLondon Posts: 350
    Options
    I LOVE this thread :laugh:

I have been increasing my workouts considerably over the last few weeks and where I only used to head sweat I now leave the gym soaked. I used to be able to put my running gear straight into the washing basket...now I have to let them dry off first :laugh:

I don't feel like I've really pushed myself unless I have the sweat marks all the way down the front AND back of my t-shirt :laugh:
  • CreativeRedhead
    CreativeRedhead Posts: 2,166
    Options
    Awwww please don't feel embarrassed. I sweat a ton even after just doing yoga. But it's like this, I feel that if I haven't sweated, then I wasn't working hard enough. I'm not sure if that's entirely accurate but it's my theory and I'm sticking to it. I usually look forward to the nice hot shower that's awaiting me after I workout and that makes me want to sweat more. LoL
  • Lorimichewicz
    Lorimichewicz Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Wet shirt, red face person here when I work out. I think it is great, I feel it is proof of a great workout. I was complaining to a trainer that I didn't like the fact that it took me so long after I was done to stop sweating and he let me know that it was a good thing. That my body is like a furnace and it was still working to burn calories after I worked out. So now, I look at it as a bonus that I am resting and my body is still working.
  • Bleux
    Bleux Posts: 186
    Options
    Sweating is your bodies way of cooling its self down. The more fit or use to exercise you are, the quicker your body will recognize that it is going to get heated and will start to "cool-down", making you sweat more. This is why it is so important to drink a lot of water before, during and after your workouts, including when you go swimming!!! I sweat a lot, and I notice when I am in good condition I sweat sooner and more than when I have taken too much time off! That is the first thing that tells me I took too many days off when I was on holiday or something! Haha.

As for the people who wear sweat shirts with hoods up in the gym to sweat more, this isn't bad unless you do it every day. It is something recommended by lots of trainers for special events where you want to look really good, really toned for. You have to make sure you drink at least 50% more water too though. Sure it is mostly water weight they are losing, but done right and for a short time (like 7 days at most) it isn't neccesarily bad.
  • tavander
    tavander Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    SimonLondon - Haha! I thought I was the only one who had to dry my soaked sweaty clothes before tossing them in the hamper :)
  • mspraul
    mspraul Posts: 21
    Options
    I sweat a lot and always have. There is no gentle "glistening" when I work out -- I sweat. And since I teach aerobics, I'm always aware of what I wear because I don't want to look like a complete mess.

Put it this way, one time after class the spouse of a participant was standing nearby and actually commented, "wow, you really sweat a lot...and you're the instructor."

What can I say?

I figure if sweating helps get rid of any toxins you have going on, I must be very clean on the inside!
  • deckerp
    deckerp Posts: 4,365 Member
    Options
    I've always been a person that sweats a lot. I don't really get red in the face like some people say though.
  • jodi_bannister
    jodi_bannister Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I am another sweaty betty with a bright red face!! Glad to know I am not alone : )
  • SayRah
    SayRah Posts: 104
    Options
    I sweat a lot too. My hair is thick, dark, and wavy, so I guess it retains heat pretty well. It also frizzes up reallyyyy bad after I exercise...or even if I step outside into humid weather. I'm known by my friends as 'the Lion' because of my 'mane' :tongue: