The cost of Healthy Food vs. Junk Food

Options
12346»

Replies

• caffeinated_frog
    caffeinated_frog Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Sadly, in our case there is also the question of food allergies. Many of the less expensive additions that are healthy, i.e. eggs, whole wheat, rice, many of the fruits, we are allergic to. In our case, yes, eating 'healthy'is going to cost me more than what many are willing to pay for their weekly grocery bill. However, I utilize my chest freezer as much as possible, and Costco is great for bulk veggies. You just have to be willing to eat 3 pounds of broccoli in a few days. I :laugh:

Oddly, the farmer's market nearby is more expensive than the grocery stores for much of the produce. And, it's not worth time/money to drive to 5-6 different stores to get groceries. That must also be factored into the budget. 2-3, sure. If they have good deals, but I've talked this over with my co-workers and the college students are much more willing to pay for ready-to-eat food than they are for something they will have to cook.

Regarding the % that we are willing to spend of our monthly budget on food, I must say that it is my second biggest expense, after rent. I would rather my kids eat healthy and well. Plus, I like eating. :heart:
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    I agree, and I always will...I'm not sure that most of the people on here understand when some people say "junk" food is cheaper, they mean JUNK food.

When I say cheap food I am talking about ramen for 10 cents, a whole (totinos type) pizza for 1.00, a box of mac n cheese for 35 cents, a pack of bologna for 1.00, white bread for 90 cents, a bag of pasta and a can of tomatoe sauce for 1.39, a pack of hot dogs for 65 cents, generic canned soup for 49 cents, fake cheese slices are 89 cents, generic chips and snacks (a whole bag/box) for 1.29, 2lbs of chicken nuggets for 3.00, 16 oz sugar cereal for 1.00, generic rice a roni or hambuger helper for 1.00, and less quality meats are always cheaper....I could go on but you get my drift.

There is NO way your beans and chicken are cheaper for my family of 6 than thost things! Some people do not understnad what being poor is..

Bologne, Hot dogs and chicken nuggets are your only proteins. I stock up on sales so that I often pay $1 per lb of boneless chicken breasts, but thighs and drumsticks are regularly under that and still healthier than the nuggets.

A package of hot dogs or bologne is usually less than a pound, but is the same price as a pound of beans, which will actually go further when cooked.

Oatmeal is often available bulk for $1 a pound, just like the sugary cereals.

Brown rice is often cheaper than pasta.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I agree, and I always will...I'm not sure that most of the people on here understand when some people say "junk" food is cheaper, they mean JUNK food.

When I say cheap food I am talking about ramen for 10 cents, a whole (totinos type) pizza for 1.00, a box of mac n cheese for 35 cents, a pack of bologna for 1.00, white bread for 90 cents, a bag of pasta and a can of tomatoe sauce for 1.39, a pack of hot dogs for 65 cents, generic canned soup for 49 cents, fake cheese slices are 89 cents, generic chips and snacks (a whole bag/box) for 1.29, 2lbs of chicken nuggets for 3.00, 16 oz sugar cereal for 1.00, generic rice a roni or hambuger helper for 1.00, and less quality meats are always cheaper....I could go on but you get my drift.

There is NO way your beans and chicken are cheaper for my family of 6 than thost things! Some people do not understnad what being poor is..

My husband is disabled. We have been on food stamps before, so yes, I know *exactly* what it's like to be poor. That's *exactly* how I figured out how to shop/eat on a budget!
  • jbug100
    jbug100 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    In a perfect world, a shopping trip would consist of a woman breezing throuh the grocery store adding fruits, veggies, and organic stuff into her cart. Reality is a woman adding snack cakes, white bread, canned fruits, etc., etc. into her cart. because that it all she can afford. In order to eat healthy, you really have to starve to death because the prices make it impossible to purchase more of what you need. I have a family of 5, and it is so much cheaper to buy the bad stuff. They should lower the prices of healthy foods and increase the price of junk food so that it would help us all out.

I'm afraid I must respectfully disagree. While there are some items that are undoubtedly more expensive - whole grain bread versus store-brand white bread for example - for the most part I find loading my cart with unprocessed fruit, veg and meat to be comparably priced with, or cheaper than, loading it with processed convenience foods.

The trick is actually eating it when you get it home, and not deciding that it's too much work and ordering in pizza instead. That's what makes healthy grocery shopping expensive - waste.

I totally agree with this. It's one thing to buy the healthy good stuff and quite Another to actually eat it. This was hard for me at first, and I did waste a lot. Now I get a kick out of how far I can stretch my good food. It feels great when you can transform leftovers into something healthy and yummy. Cooking/ preparing good food does take some time and planning, but it is well worth the effort.
  • weird_me2
    weird_me2 Posts: 716 Member
    Options

Sometimes you really do have to sacrifice and pick and choose where you spend your money, but sometimes you can do better with more effort. How man of those $1 pizzas do you need to feed 6? I know that my 6 year old can eat a whole one on her own, so I'm guessing that you're looking at at least 5 pizzas if not more to feed everyone (if you don't have any sides). So, yeah, $1 is cheap, but there are tons of meals I make that are less than $1 a serving. There's nothing wrong with a pot of spaghetti for dinner. Buy some cheap veggies and it's even better.

At Aldi's you can get a 2 lb bag of carrots for the same price as a bag of their potato chips ($1.29). I can guarantee you that the 2 lb bag of carrots will go A LOT further than the chips. You can snack on the carrots, you can chop them up and steam them and add just a bit of seasoning for a side, you can add them to your spaghetti or lots of other meat dishes to help bulk them out without adding too many calories or too much cost. At our Aldi's, you can also get a bag of russetts and sometimes sweet potatoes for the price of the chips. I'm pretty sure that 5 lbs of potatoes will feed a lot more than 1 pound of potato chips will.

How many servings do you really get out of the $1 bag of cereal? I would guess 6-8 at most since a single serving is not enough to fill up pretty much anyone. So, if you are getting 8 servings, that's 12.5 cents per serving. You can get old fashioned rolled oatmeal for about $2 for a 2 lb cannister that has about 30 servings. That's about 6.7 cents per serving, or almost 1/2 the price. This will leave you a little money to get a couple pieces of in season fruit and spread it between the servings. Or, you can probably get a dozen eggs for about $1 (assuming here since you seem to live somewhere that's even cheaper than me) and each person can have an egg + some fruit or something.

When you shop sales and stock up when stuff is on sale, you really can make it work. I bought ham's at my local Aldis when they were marked down and paid about $.80 per pound. I cooked a ham for dinner one night, we had leftovers for lunch another day, then I used the leftover bone and meat to make a big pot of ham and bean soup. I would say we got about 10 servings of ham/sides for meals and the soup made another 14 servings. Total cost for the ham, sides and all the soup ingredients was $16 and we got about 24 servings out of everything and got lots of protein and veggies and everything. That's because the veggies I used as sides were canned goods bought on sale for $.29 a can and fresh sweet potatoes bought on sale and the soup ingredients were also bought on sale and saved for the time they were used.

The truth is that for the "average" person, it's just not that fun to eat completely home cooked meals all day every day. We like to eat our junk and we like our convenience, and when you are talking junk and processed foods, yeah, unhealthy is way cheaper and easier than healthy. If your budget only allows so much for groceries, yeah, it's more fun to buy the junk that might cost the same as or just slightly less than the healthy stuff because if you spend your $$ on the healthy stuff, then you have nothing "fun" to eat and who wants that?

By the way, my family eats hot dogs occasionally and sugar cereal and other junk, too, but we maintain balance and have found plenty of ways to do this on a budget.
  • wmoomoo
    wmoomoo Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Mmm...... I live in California and go to Asian/Chinese supermarket..... Fresh fruit/veggies and meat are cheaper than junk food. 1lb of chicken costs the same as 1 bag of the smallest potato chip in the store. But I think it could be because most junk food in Asian supermarkets are imported. >_>
  • stumblinthrulife
    stumblinthrulife Posts: 2,558 Member
    Options

My husband is disabled. We have been on food stamps before, so yes, I know *exactly* what it's like to be poor. That's *exactly* how I figured out how to shop/eat on a budget!

I grew up in a household where on many nights my mother's dinner was whatever I left on my plate. The first time I proudly presented a clean plate and said "look mummy, I ate it all!" my mother went without dinner. She made ends meet by growing our vegetables in the garden. She made up for lack of money with increased effort.

I'm now lucky enough, due to her excellent stewardship as I grew up, to not have to worry about my grocery budget. If I want it, it goes in the cart. But I still remember the effort she put into my nutrition, and I do the same for my daughter. I've had times when I fell into convenience food, I must confess. But currently we eat extremely healthfully. And regardless of extravagances I throw in the cart, my weekly grocery bill is rarely more than $150 for a family of four.
  • bunyapine
    bunyapine Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    We've started growing some of the basics ourselves and it doesn't need to take up much room. Zacchini, beans, tomatoes, capsicum, cucumber, radishes - they are big fruiters and surprising for a few plants what they produce. At present 4 tomtato plants and we are giving them away cause we cant eat quick enough. It isn't a big committment, just time to get it started and very relaxing to maintain.
  • MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Options

Bologne, Hot dogs and chicken nuggets are your only proteins. I stock up on sales so that I often pay $1 per lb of boneless chicken breasts, but thighs and drumsticks are regularly under that and still healthier than the nuggets.

A package of hot dogs or bologne is usually less than a pound, but is the same price as a pound of beans, which will actually go further when cooked.

Calorie for calorie everything you listed healthy that supposedly costs the same costs more. It's per calorie, not per meal or serving.

For example, for around $1 I can buy three days worth of calories of snack cakes. Or I can buy three days worth of calories in steak for $30. We can all see which is cheaper.
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options

Calorie for calorie everything you listed healthy that supposedly costs the same costs more. It's per calorie, not per meal or serving.

For example, for around $1 I can buy three days worth of calories of snack cakes. Or I can buy three days worth of calories in steak for $30. We can all see which is cheaper.

Snack cakes don't compare to steak, they compare to rice. I don't have any info on your snack cakes, so I can't work out the math.

Hot dogs compare to beans. The average package of hot dogs has six 180 calorie dogs. A pound of beans makes twelve 100 calorie servings so assuming they are the same price, you have gotten slightly more calories out of the beans.

I doubt that your two pounds of nuggets has more calories than my six pounds of whole chicken, but they could be that bad.
  • stumblinthrulife
    stumblinthrulife Posts: 2,558 Member
    Options

Snack cakes don't compare to steak, they compare to rice. I don't have any info on your snack cakes, so I can't work out the math.

Hot dogs compare to beans. The average package of hot dogs has six 180 calorie dogs. A pound of beans makes twelve 100 calorie servings so assuming they are the same price, you have gotten slightly more calories out of the beans.

And the beans will keep you full for longer than the hotdog.
  • WendyTerry420
    Options

Or you could buy a week's worth of potatoes/rice.
  • fitnwhole
    Options
    When things were tight, the following were my staples:

Whole oats - bulk
    Dried beans- bulk
    Brown rice - bulk
    Frozen veggies
    Fresh apples
    Fresh bananas
    Eggs

Yep!
  • WendyTerry420
    Options

I grew up in a household where on many nights my mother's dinner was whatever I left on my plate. The first time I proudly presented a clean plate and said "look mummy, I ate it all!" my mother went without dinner. She made ends meet by growing our vegetables in the garden. She made up for lack of money with increased effort.

I'm now lucky enough, due to her excellent stewardship as I grew up, to not have to worry about my grocery budget. If I want it, it goes in the cart. But I still remember the effort she put into my nutrition, and I do the same for my daughter. I've had times when I fell into convenience food, I must confess. But currently we eat extremely healthfully. And regardless of extravagances I throw in the cart, my weekly grocery bill is rarely more than $150 for a family of four.

I am just the opposite. I grew up suburban middle class. We used to sneak things in the cart when Mom wasn't looking, and while we got an earful, she bought it anyway. We used to throw away a TON of food. It is *very* rare today that my family will throw away anything. I have learned to remake any leftovers into something new, or take them to work for lunch. I have learned to buy in bulk and pre-plan everything.

We spend about $100 a week for the four of us, but when we buy what we want, such as when we get our tax refund, we will easily spend several hundred dollars stocking up canned goods and such that will last us a year.
  • Food4Fuel
    Food4Fuel Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I had to change my mentality about food. Eating shouldn't be viewed as an arbitrary act of putting something edible in your mouth because it's time to eat, you're bored, sad, or celebrating. Food's primary purpose is to provide energy for your every day activities and allow you to be the best you can be. If you change the way that you view food, you will no longer view 2 dollar brownies or heavily processed pre-prepared dinners as an option because they aren't serving your food's primary purpose. It's not even a competition. Hence my username "Food4Fuel."
  • fitnwhole
    Options
    I have a family of 5 and when I need extra money for expenses that are not typically budgeted I usually hit my grocery budget first. Why? Because I've learned tricks that will allow me to feed my family of 5 for $100/week if I need to. When I shop I normally don't buy convenient food unless it's Digorno pizza (for Fridays or a sweet that I'm desperately craving). Typically I cook from scratch, avoid buying a lot of convenience food, and check the circulars for the meat that are on sale for the week so I can menu plan for the next week with that as a guide.

Here are a few staples that are fairly cheap and last a long way and I included in parenthesis some ideas for each item:

Oats (Oatmeal, baked oatmeal, cookies, bread, add to smoothies
    Bean ( Rice & beans, add to soup, use in casseroles)
    Rice
    Whole Chicken (Roast it one day, Leftovers or make soup with the leftover meat/carcass, use leftover chicken for chicken salad for lunches, one pot chicken and rice meal with leftover chicken)
    Whole Wheat flour (I make all of these from scratch: pancakes, waffles, bread {banana, applesauce, or pumpkin}, rolls, Sunday morning biscuits)
    Cheap cut of beef (throw in slow cooker for a roast use leftover to make soup)
    bananas ( cheap fruit!!! I never waste any because I can freeze for smoothies, use in banana bread for breakfast or snack, and of course a grab and go fruit)

To sum it up eating healthy becomes expensive when you try to maintain a diet of process foods IN ADDITION to healthy foods.
  • blu_meanie_ca
    blu_meanie_ca Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    It is true, ramen noodles are cheaper than brown rice. I don't know where some one get's canned spinach, but, I would guess it's cheap for a reason (eeewwww... soggy).
    The whole point of side "B"s point of view isn't really an item for item break down. There are costly, and cheap items on both sides. THe point is , it's do-able, IF you willing to be creative, and sometimes repetative, to eat healthy on a budget. My grocery budget at it's lowest was 100/week (including diapers, ect). It's not always easy, it's not always fun, and you will get dish pan hands... but you also will get to eat.
  • Andrew_peter
    Andrew_peter Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Healthy food is more expensive than junky food.
    But cooking from scratch (with healthy base ingredients) which does take time and some skill is cheapest out of the bunch.
  • chadgard
    chadgard Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    By the way, most don't know it, but beef is already very heavily subsidized by your tax dollars. If it weren't your average American wouldn't be able to eat it.

Unfortunately, you need to qualify that statement. Feedlot and grain-fed beef is very heavily subsidized. Grass fed beef is usually not. The latter, though, when done right is much better for the environment (can actually have a negative net carbon production and all but no runoff if pastures are managed properly, all without any synthetic fertilizers), and is nutritionally superior. Some folks don't think it tastes good, but I'm in the group that thinks grass fed tastes much better. I'm not sure if that's my knowledge of what a CAFO and slaughter house is like vs. watching my neighbor raise cows and having them processed at a local processor skewing my tastes, of if I would think the same in a blind taste test (it would have to be blind, though, 'cause it does look different)...

The trick there, though, is that you can't affordably buy it by the single cut. Often, you can't buy it at all by the single cut! I usually buy (or barter...) a half beef, which lasts about 2 1/2 years. Some farmers will offer it by the quarter as well (mine doesn't). 2 1/2 years of outstanding beef ends up costing about $600, including processing, but you do have to have quite a bit of freezer space. Now, the hamburger is more expensive than store bought. On the other hand, a ribeye or t-bone is the same price as hamburger, and you get the bones for making stock, tounge, heart, liver, etc. that are hard and expensive to find otherwise. The last two times I actually got the whole cow's worth of soup bones, because the person purchasing the other half didn't want them.

Oh, and if you like stew... Have them cut stew meat from the shin. Commercial stew meat is a "parts is parts" kind of thing, and generally doesn't have enough connective tissue and too much fat to make good stew. By default, shin is thrown away or made into hamburger by most custom processors (in this area, anyway) as well, so you have have to ask. But the results in your stew are well worth the question!
  • mojohowitz
    mojohowitz Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    Don't forget to factor in the sodium and fat content.. Hot dogs have much more salt/fat than beans and thereby drop the nutritional value. Same goes for chicken nuggets.