Running and knee arthritis...

Options
Long story short... I am a running who has done several 5ks, a 10K, a half, a warrior dash... this past summer I fell onto my left knee. Since then I have had pain with running. Went to a physcian in September and got written off as having runners knee. When I rested it a good bit of time and tried to run again and got the pain, I went for a second opinion. At that time I got an injection and they said if no better in a month of continued nonrunning they would send me for an MRI. The MRI said I had a meniscal tear and some arthritis. Yesterday I had arthroscopic surgery and it turns out I did not have a tear but it was the amount of fraying from the arthrtitis that made it look that way. I will not know more until I see my doctor in 2 weeks but I know he told me depending on what they found, my running days may be numbered... I am devastated about this.
Anyone have such a case of knee arthritis and still running?? What adjustments have you made? Can you still do distances.

Replies

• Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    I have Rheumatoid Arthritis and so every morning my knees are usually swollen and extremely hard to bend. After an hour or so they loosen up. Pain is always there. I do a lot more biking these days, but when I want to kick up some dirt I found that running uphill is a lot less stressful on my knees. Downhill is a different story.

I am currently training for a 10-12 mile military style obstacle course this year so I have to see how that goes.
  • josiereside
    josiereside Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    Sorry you have daily pain... I only get the pain when I run or if I pivot wrong on that particular leg... I believe my is considered either ostearthritis or degenerative joint disease so I believe a bit different situation than RA.
  • mcrower
    mcrower Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I can hear your passion for running in your post....however, my suggestion is to find another sport that you can workout hard and get satisfaction from without injuring your knees any further. Once you have osteoarthritis...it does not get better. Weight loss helps with pressure on your knee and keeping active really-really helps, but it is not going to completely heal and go away. There are a number of active sports you might consider....road biking, mountain biking, rowing, swimming.....the list goes on and on. Please take care of your knees or you will end up like I did with knee replacements after several surgeries to repair ACL tear (snow skiing); mensicus repair (twice) and finally total knee replacement. I wish you all the best!
  • myfitnessval
    myfitnessval Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    its not a fix-it, more of a delay-it but i supplement with glucosamine (look into it, its wonderful) and it totally helps with my early arthritis issues. since ive been on it ive had NO issues or runners knee flare-ups.
  • josiereside
    Options
    its not a fix-it, more of a delay-it but i supplement with glucosamine (look into it, its wonderful) and it totally helps with my early arthritis issues. since ive been on it ive had NO issues or runners knee flare-ups.

I have been taking a glucosamine/chondroiten supplement for some time...
  • josiereside
    Options
    I can hear your passion for running in your post....however, my suggestion is to find another sport that you can workout hard and get satisfaction from without injuring your knees any further. Once you have osteoarthritis...it does not get better. Weight loss helps with pressure on your knee and keeping active really-really helps, but it is not going to completely heal and go away. There are a number of active sports you might consider....road biking, mountain biking, rowing, swimming.....the list goes on and on. Please take care of your knees or you will end up like I did with knee replacements after several surgeries to repair ACL tear (snow skiing); mensicus repair (twice) and finally total knee replacement. I wish you all the best!

Unfortunately, I don't have a passion for the other activities, mountain biking terrifies me, road biking I am not a fan of unless it is a leasurely hill-less route. No place to swim on a regular basis... my gym does not have rowing... I don't really have much weight to lose but I am sure every little bit helps... I guess I will know when I go in for my postop how bad it is and see what the doctor recommends..
  • NormInv
    NormInv Posts: 3,295 Member
    Options
    Sorry to hear that. I am in a similar boat. I had knee pain one mile into running in the right leg. I had to rest a season. Then I started running with a knee brace and was ok. I ran all year long. But then suddenly one day my left knee started hurting even more. And now I cant run. I was depressed for a couple months and now switching to spinning. But its not the same.

When my right knee first started hurting I went to a sports doctor. He told me to go to a physical therapist. They made me do simple exercises, when in fact at home I was able to do P90X leg workout without pain. It was only during running that I got the pain. They also checked my running stride etc via video analysis and my posture was good and my stride was neutral. So that wasnt the issue. Anyway, I gave up therapy because I wasnt seeing any point in that.

You should be careful with the doctors because during my research I found out that some will give you a run around toward more expensive treatments. I am not ready yet to have steroids or have an operation. I am able to spin for an hour with no pain at all. Just be careful in how they go about treating you. Do your own research online.
  • ladypenel
    ladypenel Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I have osteoarthritis in my spine and find that running on treadmill with an incline of 1-2 works However outside running is more hit and miss for me but again, uphill seems ok. You risk speeding up your condition if you push over what your body tells you and may finish your running days permanently. Good luck and hope the pain settles. :)
  • Ely82010
    Ely82010 Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    I also have torn meniscus and OA in both knees. At the present time surgery is not needed but I get twice a year Euflexxa injections (sodium hyaluronate), to increase the lubrication of the knee. It is paid by my insurance. It helps a lot but it doesn't repair the tear, it just makes the OA symptoms much more manageable. I also take glucosamine twice a day.

The injections allowed me to continue with my fitness classes, including ballet, but running/jogging, deep squats, side lounges, jumping, and/or high impact exercises are not recommended, and they do bother me a lot if I decide to engage in any of these activities. It sucks when we are limited by our aches and pains, and when we can't do the things that we like.

Just do the best you can and follow your doctor's recommendation so you don’t end up with knees replacements and with more restrictions. Listen to your body and respect your body and all its part.
  • josiereside
    Options
    Thanks all... I certainly won't do anything until given doctor's okay... he does want me up and moving and walking right now so will have to settle for that... unfortunately, I cannot work upper body due to tendinitis in my elbow...
  • tenajh
    tenajh Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    Sorry to hear this josiereside ( ?josie? for short ?? ) I have OA, it is end stage, have had surgeries on foot/knee and recent total wrist resonstruction. I also have MS and asthma. I do hear your frustration and I do feel my own. I am currently walking on an incline on my treadmil in the basement and seeing a holistic chiropractor, I have DJD and have had a neck fusion with graft and plate. I have been through all the shots and meds etc as well as PT. They suggested water therapy but I got worse. I hope to find a personal trainer this month at a gym and see if I can join for a couple of months. I wish you the best (( hugs ))
  • josiereside
    Options
    Sorry to hear this josiereside ( ?josie? for short ?? ) I have OA, it is end stage, have had surgeries on foot/knee and recent total wrist resonstruction. I also have MS and asthma. I do hear your frustration and I do feel my own. I am currently walking on an incline on my treadmil in the basement and seeing a holistic chiropractor, I have DJD and have had a neck fusion with graft and plate. I have been through all the shots and meds etc as well as PT. They suggested water therapy but I got worse. I hope to find a personal trainer this month at a gym and see if I can join for a couple of months. I wish you the best (( hugs ))

Sorry to hear of all your issues.... I also have had neck fusion. I wish you the best also... frustrating getting older!! I still think the most important thing to do is keep our bodies moving. I plan on doing acupuncture as that helped me with some hip issues I was having and hoping it can do the same for my elbow and knee. I also might try a workout that my acupuncturist recommended qi going (spelling??)
  • Corey16Point35Tri
    Options
    First off, I am sorry about the run around and the bad news. Hopefully I can give you a but of hope...I am 40 years old and became a runner 3 years ago. I have had 2 orthoscopic surgeries, and 10 years ago next month, I had my ACL reconstructed. I explain that because in the 3 years I have been a runner, I have done 2 Full Marathons, 2 Half Marathons, and over 30 other races (including a Warrior Dash also!!). You can run again, you just have to take a different approach. There is a GREAT book called "Run Less, Run Faster" and "Marathoning for Mortals" that have been like my running bibles. Also, have you considered switching to minimalist shoes? I have both the New Balance Minimus and the Fila Skeletoes (cheaper version of the Vibrams...toe shoes, if you will) and I read "Running Barefoot" to learn how to run in these shoes (take the time to learn, don't just jump in those shoes, trust me), and I have NEVER had any knee pain in either marathons or any less mileage races. When you learn to run in minimalist shoes, you change up your form where the pressure is taken off all of your joints (shins, knees, hips, etc). You have to do a little research (unless your doc is a runner, don't just settle for his advice) but you can still continue to run, and it be pain free. Also keep a steady supply of KT Tape or Rock Tape in your house as well for any minor aches and pains. I truly hope that helps, and if there is anyway I can help, please let me know! Happy Miles!!
  • josiereside
    Options
    First off, I am sorry about the run around and the bad news. Hopefully I can give you a but of hope...I am 40 years old and became a runner 3 years ago. I have had 2 orthoscopic surgeries, and 10 years ago next month, I had my ACL reconstructed. I explain that because in the 3 years I have been a runner, I have done 2 Full Marathons, 2 Half Marathons, and over 30 other races (including a Warrior Dash also!!). You can run again, you just have to take a different approach. There is a GREAT book called "Run Less, Run Faster" and "Marathoning for Mortals" that have been like my running bibles. Also, have you considered switching to minimalist shoes? I have both the New Balance Minimus and the Fila Skeletoes (cheaper version of the Vibrams...toe shoes, if you will) and I read "Running Barefoot" to learn how to run in these shoes (take the time to learn, don't just jump in those shoes, trust me), and I have NEVER had any knee pain in either marathons or any less mileage races. When you learn to run in minimalist shoes, you change up your form where the pressure is taken off all of your joints (shins, knees, hips, etc). You have to do a little research (unless your doc is a runner, don't just settle for his advice) but you can still continue to run, and it be pain free. Also keep a steady supply of KT Tape or Rock Tape in your house as well for any minor aches and pains. I truly hope that helps, and if there is anyway I can help, please let me know! Happy Miles!!

Thank you Corey! I do have vibrams but have not run much in them due to some other issues but I think once (if ) I start back running, I will go that route. I have read Marathoning for Mortals but will get the Running Barefoot book. Thank you for giving me encouragement that running is not a thing of my past but hopefully in my future!! I will be going to PT in a few weeks and will have them show me the right way to use k tape for my issues.
  • belizsera
    belizsera Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Long story short... I am a running who has done several 5ks, a 10K, a half, a warrior dash... this past summer I fell onto my left knee. Since then I have had pain with running. Went to a physcian in September and got written off as having runners knee. When I rested it a good bit of time and tried to run again and got the pain, I went for a second opinion. At that time I got an injection and they said if no better in a month of continued nonrunning they would send me for an MRI. The MRI said I had a meniscal tear and some arthritis. Yesterday I had arthroscopic surgery and it turns out I did not have a tear but it was the amount of fraying from the arthrtitis that made it look that way. I will not know more until I see my doctor in 2 weeks but I know he told me depending on what they found, my running days may be numbered... I am devastated about this.
    Anyone have such a case of knee arthritis and still running?? What adjustments have you made? Can you still do distances.

I had a similar surgery December 17. I assumed I had a jacked up meniscus (which I did) but the pain was coming from arthritis. My doc didn't know until he got in there with the scope. He did a micro-fracture partial meniscetomy and I gotta tell you I am in pain often, even five weeks out from surgery. Ice, Advil and Pennsaid are my friends. I am unable to bend my knees even now.

I hope you get good news or some relief from your doctor.
  • DiscoLemonade25
    DiscoLemonade25 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately arthritis is a degenerative condition which is exacerbated by weight-bearing activities and running puts a lot of stress on the joints so you will probably need to look into biking, swimming, and or the elliptical. However, there's a lot of research out there, so maybe you or your doctors will be able to find a way. Best of luck but please don't try to run through the pain as that will lead to more problems, more pain, and potential further loss of function! I'm sure this news was tough for you to take but runners are resilient so I'm sure you'll get through this.
  • avalon42
    Options
    I had knee swelling and pain in both knees starting in June of 2012. It would come and go, and I managed to complete two 50-mile running races, and one 100-mile race. I did go see chiropracters, sports doctors, and physical therapists. I was diagnosed with runner's knee, but no one could figure out why I was getting the amount of stiffness and swelling. I got a cortico-steriod shot in each knee, and felt like Wonder Woman for most of Spring 2013. I earned PRs in the half and full marathon, and was getting stronger and faster. This was until the issues came back in my left knee. I still ran a successful 50k, but then the right knee started acting up again. I went to see another sports doctor, he recommended different tests, and now I'm under treatment for an inflammatory arthritis. Unfortunately, even with another series of steroid shots, I'm in more pain than I was last year. I'm hoping to get through a 100k that I've been training for, and then will ease back my running schedule. I'm hoping that rest, along with arthritis medicine finally taking effect (it takes 3 months for the current medicine to build up in my body), I can still be an ultra-marathon runner. There is still so much that I want to do, so many races that I want to run and finish. I've already planned out my next three years of races, if my knees and the rest of my body hold up. For now, I'm running in knee braces, shock-absorbing inserts in my shoes, and doing most of my miles on soft surfaces. As I write this, my right knee is feeling fairly stiff. Maybe I'll go out for a walk, and hope I can be okay with my intended 9 training miles in the evening. I should say, also, that not a single one of my doctors has told me to stop running. My rheumatologist has told me that if I weren't a runner, I'd likely have far worse arthritis. Keep moving, and don't stop running. Just try to run smarter.
  • Heronimos
    Heronimos Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately, I don't have a passion for the other activities, mountain biking terrifies me, road biking I am not a fan of unless it is a leasurely hill-less route. No place to swim on a regular basis... my gym does not have rowing... I don't really have much weight to lose but I am sure every little bit helps... I guess I will know when I go in for my postop how bad it is and see what the doctor recommends..
    Try a kickbike. A sort of running, without putting 3 to 4 times you weight on you joints. I love it, can't run because of a Compartment syndrome in my shins. But now I'm hooked on kickbiking.
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    You will need to deal with second best for at least a while. Get your doctor to give you a list of alternatives and give them a fair try. A fair try means more than once. Runners high is addictive and will be a temporary loss you'll have to deal with. Taking care of yourself now may keep it from becoming permanently off limits. Good luck.
  • jonnyman41
    jonnyman41 Posts: 1,031 Member
    Options
    depends on your age but ALL adults have some sign of wear and tear = arthritis and docs are quick to write people off when actually there is so much that you can do. I have hip arthritis and doc said not to run however I paid for sports physio and lo and behold I can run again, (still building up) Seriously I recommend at least having one visit to sports physio. Lots of knee pain is actually caused by other things , poor form/weak hips etc so if you enjoy running and want to continue, give this a try. There are many things that can be done that still lead to you continuing to run.