Need suggestions with 1800 cal 40/30/30

Options
Joluru
Joluru Posts: 89 Member
After quite a bit of reading recently, I've adjusted my macros to 40/30/30 and am fitting it into my 1800 cal/day plan. Trouble is, I can't seem to get enough protein without going over in fat.

My menus aren't perfect but you can see what I'm eating in my food diary and perhaps give some suggestions? (I didn't track M/T/W this week, but have been off and on since Jan 1, and was pretty much on track M/T/W just busy with kid stuff.)

I'm also having a hard time hitting 1800 calories without overindulging. I planned today's meals and am not quite at 1500 calories for the day. I'm not usually hungry for breakfast but am eating something just to get the day started on the right foot. Lunch is over and I have planned dinner of BBQ turkey burgers and Brussels sprouts with turkey bacon - 650 calories, should be plenty filling! I'm short 52 (!!) grams of protein, but am close on carbs and fats for the day.

I'm having a lot of fruits and veggies (including a green smoothie each morning) and more fiber than I was previously eating, plus plenty of good fats, and I find that I'm just not as hungry as I would expect to be.

Still, I've lost steadily and am down nearly 10 lb. since Jan 1, so I'm not complaining about speed of loss. I just want to do this in a healthy way and don't want to add junk food just to meet my calorie count.

Replies

• jr1985
    jr1985 Posts: 1,033 Member
    Options
    fish is generally pretty low fat, and the fat that they do have is a healthy fat too... chicken is pretty low fat. And beans are very low fat, high protein, high potassium... they really are super foods!
  • abbyrae1
    abbyrae1 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    chicken and turkey are lean and high in protein, egg whites are also great. for breakfast, try mixing a few egg whites with seasoned ground chicken/turkey for a protein punch in the morning.

As far as not hitting 1800 calories everyday without induldging, are you finding that you are snacking mindlessly on things to fill the calorie void? If thats the case, stop, try to have healthy snacks only (ie veggies, fruit, proteins, etc). If you are full off of 1500 calories that day, I don't see a problem with staying at that. There are some days that i will be full and only have eaten 1300, and its because of what I'm eating (lots of protein, good fats, complex carbs from veggies). I think once you find some recipes you like with lean meats, you will find that they are lower in calories and fat, but still fill you up from the protein.

Also, and this is just my personal opinion, and I'm not a doctor :) but i would go protein heavy in the mornings, try to watch your processed foods, and eat more veggies than fruits. Turkey bacon is highly processed and doesn't necessarily give you the goods you are looking for. Whole foods are the way to go...
    Keep up the great work!~ 10lbs is a fanastic start!!
  • lewcompton
    lewcompton Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me... Doing 40/30/30 and only consuming about 1500 per day generally speaking. Take a look at my food diary for some ideas. Nonfat Greek yogurt makes its way into lots of my food as if it were sour cream.
  • Gramps251
    Gramps251 Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    I like your diet and your macros are close to mine, 35/35/30. For extra lean protein, broil a bunch of boneless skinnless chicken breasts. and freeze them so you can pull out what you need, cut 3 or 4 oz and enjoy.

Just watch your food choices and change them around to get what you need.
  • Joluru
    Joluru Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I'll add Greek Yogurt for more protein. I'm eating lots of beans, chicken, and fish (last night tilapia, yuck! so bland and no texture!) I'd prefer to not lean so heavily on animal products, but quinoa and beans hit the carb limit fast.

I'll have to keep playing around with it to get the right macros.

I'm not mindlessly eating, and except over the weekend (too much junk last weekend!) I'm planning my day in advance to try to get enough fruits and veggies, dairy, healthy fats, hit my macros, etc.
  • seena511
    seena511 Posts: 685 Member
    Options
    get 1% milkfat cottage cheese...it has like 13 g of protein per serving and only 1 or 2 g of fat. you can eat it with fruit, or add some vanilla, cinnamon, and sweetener to make it taste like ice cream
  • dickinsonrd
    dickinsonrd Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    A whey protein shake might be a way to supplement your protein. I get 26 grams of protein, 7 grams carbs and 2 grams of fat out of mine for about 160 calories when mixed with water.