Sugar

Options
I just put in 2 cups of 2% milk which was 25 sugars. Well I am already over my sugar intake just for breakfast!!! I don't like skim milk (I don't know if skim milk has any less sugars or not). Would almond milk be better to drink as far as sugar?

Replies

• ltlemermaid
    ltlemermaid Posts: 637 Member
    Options
    I just started her recently and have found that I am always over my sugar counts for the day. Usually after lunch for me--I love my fruit and that is what does me in. I don't worry about it too much as long as its not extremely over, and I try to keep my other counts where they are supposed to be.

As for using Almond milk--I hear its good for you but I have never tried it. You can always go to the store and read the label to see the sugar content per serving. If its still too much maybe use 1/2 serving instead that way you can still have some.
  • lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    Options
    Unsweetened almond milk = zero grams of sugar.

Skim milk actually has more sugar that whole milk.

I tend to watch my added sugar rather than my lactose/fructose. But, that's just me.
  • emilymorene
    emilymorene Posts: 56
    Options
    Thanks for the help!! I did put in almond milk to see how it compared to 2% and it is a big difference!!! I am going to have to start drinking that!
  • hamton
    hamton Posts: 245
    Options
    I'm going to start drinking almond milk as well. I didn't know you can get it with 0g of sugar. Does Costco sell it?
  • emilymorene
    emilymorene Posts: 56
    Options
    I am not sure. I went to costco.com and put it in and it didn't find it but maybe the store you go to does. I do know that food lion carries it. I do believe that lowes foods carries it. You can also buy online (I prefer to buy it at the store!). If there are any other places you know of let me know!
  • allykat8
    allykat8 Posts: 237
    Options
    I used to worry about my sugar and avoid many foods due to the amount of sugar. Then I went to a nutritionist and she explained to me that sugar in yogurts, fruits (fresh and dried), veggies, etc. do not count against your daily sugar intake as they are all natural sugars.

Hope this helps a bit!
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    I used to worry about my sugar and avoid many foods due to the amount of sugar. Then I went to a nutritionist and she explained to me that sugar in yogurts, fruits (fresh and dried), veggies, etc. do not count against your daily sugar intake as they are all natural sugars.

Hope this helps a bit!

That's a slippery slope.

It's really not true, but I understand why it was said. Lactose and fructose don't digest as quickly as sucrose (table sugar) or HFCS, so you don't get the blood sugar spike, and it's more of a controlled release, which means your body has a better chance to burn it over time as opposed to being flooded as with table sugar. But that doesn't mean you can go crazy and drink tons of milk, and eat tons of fruit. You should still temper it. I agree with limiting your sucrose (added sugar) to about 15 or 20 grams a day, but you should still try to keep your total daily sugar to between 30 and 40 grams a day, with 1/2 of it being non-sucrose sugars (the less sucrose the better).
  • hamton
    hamton Posts: 245
    Options
    I've been trying to drop the last few body fat % and was stuck around 12% for a while. I then figured sugar was the culprit. I reduced my skim milk intake since I drink a lot of it. Now I only consume a cup of milk for breakfast and 1.5 cup after a workout. After about a month, I'm seeing results. I'm at around 11% bf now. I think the no sugar almond milk will really give me the boost I need. I just need to find a convenient place to get it.
  • jurgitafit
    jurgitafit Posts: 112
    Options

Hope this helps a bit!

True about yogurt only if it's PLAIN. Most yogurts have so much crap in them that instead of being beneficial they become harmful to our bodies. Also, go easy on dried fruit. Especially when losing weight!

I'd say, the only sugars that are not worth counting are from FRESH veggies and fruits, PLAIN yogurt and milk. :wink: