Got REAMED by doctor today.

Options
124»

Replies

• Lifting_Knitter
    Options
    Report her. To her employer AND your health plan -- they hold the real purse strings.

^^^ this, i was thinking the same thing.
  • HotDolphinMama
    HotDolphinMama Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    UGH!
    I hope that you are able to see someone more supportive. Your MD should be on your team & a cheerleader & advisor for you on this journey. Keep looking until you find someone who will help you.
  • Royalsbatwench
    Royalsbatwench Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Yeah she sucks. But I did want to chime in that she might have a point about the sex. Just do it. You'll have fun every time. And seriously, the more you do it the more you want to do it.
    She really is an *kitten*.
  • MissJanet55
    MissJanet55 Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    That is inexcusable. If you really like your doctor, complain. If you don't, find a new one. Or maybe find a new one AND complain.

Apart from the terrible weight loss advice, to suggest you have sex whether you want to or not is appalling. The 21st century is perfectly nice, she might want to join us here.
  • gillad
    gillad Posts: 15
    Options
    not quite the way to go about it. You've obviously started to make some inroads into your weight loss and that is to be praised and really keep up the good work. You've already made the decision to lose weight thats the first step .. well done and keep at it.
    It's hard at first and we all feel a bit 'not ourselves' when we start to try lose weight but you will feel better in your self once your body adjusts. I used to love chip shop chips .. now I don't think I would even want them let alone eat one chip.
    Keep at it you're doing great :)
  • JessicaPacheco39
    Options
    Hi I am truly shocked by that np behavior being in the health industry myself i have never treated any of my patient this way. I am so sorry for the way u got treated it is just unethical to treat someone this way. That being said i would advise you to refuse to see that np anymore. You shouldnt havve to leave the drs office feeling badly. They are supposed to be there to help care for you . As far as the diet goes dieting has never been easy . I see you have lost some weight congratulations on that YOu should be proud of yourself. Make small goals for yourself . Maybe try to see a nutritionist sometimes that can help. I think you are doing great. Just dont give up on yourself you are more than worth it:heart:
  • hypotrochoid
    hypotrochoid Posts: 842 Member
    Options
    *hug*

according to studies, faking it during nookie can increase the chances of wanting to paint your ceiling beige by 80 to 90%.
  • tweak222
    Options
    The medical industry is fueled by synthesized chemicals that do more harm than good. Go see a nutritionist. Find a doctor who studies and supports treatment through natural remedies. Tell that Nurse "Practitioner" to go Practice quitting her job if she's going to be an insensitive ***** because she picked the wrong field in which to work for that kind of crap attitude. :) If you feel awful from dieting then you are likely missing some important nutrients or just not getting enough, maybe too much of a deficit? Idk. I for one focus on trying to balance my diet and I feel great and I sleep better for it! If I miss a meal I'm gonna be a grouch and turn into a diva haha
  • janerfitnesspal145
    Options
    Those comments were really inappropriate for a medical person to say to a patient! Don't get discouraged, getting started is half the battle. My neurologist was very supportive when I started trying to lose weight several years ago. I had dropped 40 pounds from the previous year's visit and he congratulated me and asked what I was doing (probably to make sure it was healthy!), and told me to keep it up The best thing my husband and I ever did was buy a wii and the wii fit. It makes exercising so much easier and fun. Being able to work out in my home with my own "trainer" made a world of difference! Not to mention that it shows you how many calories you burn with each exercise, which helps keep me from eating junk food...since I can see how long I'd have to exercise to burn off those calories. Just remember that you do need time off so that your muscles can rest. I know when I first started trying to lose weight I cut calories and was exercising, but the weight wasn't coming off. I finally figured out that I was consuming way too much sodium. We have a "what I want" for dinner night one night a week, nothing crazy mind you, just something that feels like a treat (I get a chocolate milkshake!).
  • Deedsie
    Deedsie Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    That NP is bad at her job, but that's been covered a lot.

The big issue is that she didn't help you. I don't think you should be feeling bad and tired all the time, especially at 5 weeks in and since you aren't under-eating or over-training per your information above. I would go to a doctor that has strong references preferably from ppl who have lost weight and then I would ask for a thyroid test, full blood work to check all your vitamin levels and hormone levels and possibly allergy testing. I have foods that make me so tired and it turns out that I'm allergic to them, not severely but enough to cause problems.
  • itsmelynn15
    Options
    I would have your thyroid levels checked. I had the same symptoms 3 years ago and went to the doc and found out my thyroid decided it didn't want to work anymore...lol....I was extremely fatigued, emotional, achy, and also had no sex drive. I have since been on synthroid and my levels are in the normal range. It was like night and day within about a month after starting the meds. I felt like a new person.
  • brookehe
    brookehe Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    I am sorry you had such a bad time with your NP. Since dieting makes you feel so bad have you thought about seeing a nutritionist? They have much more knowledge about what your body needs for fuel than your current medical practitioner.

I have actually but I don't think my insurance pays for one. That was one of the reasons I was going to the doctor. This woman just didn't seem interested in helping me.

Check with your insurance, you will probably (hopefully) find that if your MD refers/prescribes a nutritionist it will be covered. Stay positive and trust your instincts, don't let this one experience derail you. BTW I agree with others who've suggested contacting your Dr. Office and informing them of what went down. I know if it were my practice I'd want to know!
  • amyreafleng
    amyreafleng Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    It's a two way street...should you feel bad for improving yourself? No. But I see in another post you mention constant pain. Was the NP stating you need to stop exercising to allow your body to repair? Was the NP trying to be mean and nasty when she said you have a long road? Or did you take it personally? Had you seen this NP before?

Sometimes Doctors and other health care have to say things that patients don't want to hear so it p!sses them off.

I am not saying the NP was right. The approach / bedside could have been different. We were not there to truely know.

I am sorry you had an unpleasant experience with the NP. Do not lose focus of your goals. See another doctor...ask to have blood work...as the patient you are in control! Best of luck
  • stormtruck2
    stormtruck2 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    You should immediately call and then write the NP's boss; your insurance company. Also file a complaint with your states medical board. Then call and ask for an appoinment with the senior, manageing, what ever they call them, physican at that practice. Take in a copy of the letter you sent the insurance company, and the complaint you filed with the medical board. two things will happen, the NP will be disciplined if not terminated, and you will be treated like you are their only client from now on.

As for the fatigue, low sex drive and aches and pains. As others have said up your protein macros. I set mine at 25/55/20 C/P/F. You need not set tehm that high, but a 2:1 protein/carb ratio seems to work well. Be sure it is lean protein, like fish and chicken. Not only is protein needed for energy, it is used for building muscles, tendons, cartlige, and other body parts. As for the carbs, I highly suggest getting them from low glycemic index sources. That will help your body inflamation also. Stop all carbinated beverages also. The carbonation is CO2, which can accumalite in joints and muscle tissue making you feel stiff and achy.

If you wish to add me as a supportive freind feel free too. I'll try to give you all the encouragement I can.
  • eileenchristine
    eileenchristine Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    You have lost 15 lbs in 5 weeks! Wow, that is freaking unreal. Hope this crazy lady you went to is not in Iowa. I would rip her a new orifice and maybe take names afterwards. I have only lost 25 lbs in 5 MONTHS! And I feel pretty damn good about it.

Don't let one person throw you off. You are doing EXCELLENT! Its a life style change and I think its fine that you went to McDonald's once in 5 weeks. I rarely eat out so when I do its not fast food. Besides I don't like fast food, but I do indulge in pizza now and then.

Get some friends on MFP who are committed to their weight loss and their logging. It encourages me a lot to see their successes.

Nothing wrong w/your exercising that often unless you are lifting heavy that much might be a problem, muscles need time to build up, but if its cardio or reps of light weights, why not that often? I am lucky if I get an hour in! And I didn't exercise at all the first few months, only recently have I added exercise.

Be kind and gentle to yourself, you are doing great!
  • emmalouc93
    emmalouc93 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    How does that woman have a job in that field? :O

What a B...........

Complain!
  • Cullinanmarti
    Cullinanmarti Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    You should definitely call the Doctor's office and to speak to the doctor... the doctor does not know the situation if y don't speak up. At the very least, Iwould request a nutritionist consult. Check with your insurance company, it my be paid for under some ICD-9 codes. Also, contact your local diabetic society. Even if y are not diabetic, these people really get low cal, high protein diets. They will sometimes help with diets for weight loss. I am a type II diabetic and was on both Metformin and Byetta injections. Through weight loss and exercise, I am lucky to be finally off both. I got free consultations. It's worth a try....everything can help. Don't take her poor nursing skills into yr heart. Believe me, I am a nurse and not all of us should be listened to. You are making the right decisions about your body and your know yr body best. Stay positive and centered and you will be fine. I pulling for you!!!!!!!!!!!
  • pspetralia
    pspetralia Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    You need a new doctor all together. Would you really feel comfortable going back to this office? I would let the office or main doctor in the practice know why they are losing you as a patient.
  • crubinetti
    crubinetti Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    *hug*

according to studies, faking it during nookie can increase the chances of wanting to paint your ceiling beige by 80 to 90%.

:laugh: