Stopped weighing myself.

Options
Soooo. I have stopped weighing myself completely. This was not exactly voluntary at first (my scale broke), but I have found that the less I weigh myself the easier this process is. I do not get discouraged when I see number bounce all over the place due to other factors. I know that if I log everything that I eat and make choices to eat mostly whole foods then I will lose the weight. The less focus I have on weight loss, the easier it is to make this journey a life style change rather than purely for smaller numbers on the scale. Also, I think when I finally do weigh myself down the line, it will be far more rewarding to see a larger decrease.

Anyway, my question is.....how often do you weigh yourself and does anyone stay away from the scale?

Replies

• deladypilot
    deladypilot Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    I only weigh myself once a week as I know the body fluctuates daily and it can be frustrating. I do agree that if you concentrate more on eating right and exercising then the number on the scale is not that important. Do what feels right for you
  • Kennkaru
    Kennkaru Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I weigh once a month, but don't put much stock in it. Once a month, I also take my measurements. That and how I feel overall are the important factors in my journey.
  • mimiwin
    mimiwin Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    My best friend stopped using the scale too and she feels a lot more liberated and it has actually helped her on her life style change !!! as you say you trust your actions and your body follows !! + She says she feel much better about herself now and she looks amazing :) it has defo not had any bad impact on her journey to the contrary !!!
  • kbodnaruk
    Options
    I weigh myself daily - I had to go on an out of town 2 day trip - no scale - but my eating was horrible but still within my daily limit but not enough water and when I came back I gained 2 pounds. Weighing myself daily keeps my mind in check and to see just how far I have come and to stay determined. I know the scale can go up and down during the week - but I like to see these changes - I guess that is the OCD side of me - haha!
  • RunDoozer
    RunDoozer Posts: 1,699 Member
    Options
    I just use the mirror and go based on how I feel thats good enough for me.
  • Rodderick89
    Rodderick89 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I weight pretty much daily and also use the tape measure once a week... I prefer to weigh daily and work out an average for the week, that way I don't get frustrated if the scale goes up!
  • nebslp
    nebslp Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    I was a weighaholic for 40 years and used the numbers as an excuse to pat myself on the back and treat myself to something good to eat because I had lost a little. Or I could use the numbers as an excuse to say "what the heck, I'll never lose anyway" and chow down on something stupid. I tried hiding the scale on the top shelf, put it in the basement, even brought it to my neighbor's house for a few days. I couldn't go through the day without weighing at least once, maybe twice, and then judging myself on the numbers. It was crazy! I hated it but couldn't stop. Then about a month ago I joined MFP and knew I had to stop living my life according to a number on the scale. I had to start a program and trust the process. That's what I did. I made several goals. One of them was to only weigh in on Mondays. I pay myself $1 for each daily goal I meet. (I have 3 goals). I am working toward buying a new ipad and plan on having enough money "earned" by June. I can't believe it, but it works. Nothing else ever worked!! I haven't lost that much on weigh in day yet, but that's OK. Thanks to the amazing people on MFP, I'm learning so much and have more inspiration and encouragement than I've ever had in my life. So for me, staying off the scale has been so liberating. Now I walk by the scale once in awhile and think about getting on it. Then I just continue walking and am not even stressed by it. It's wonderful! Everyone has something that works for them and this is what works for me.
  • gabegrammy
    gabegrammy Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself about every 2 to 3 days. But I set a monthly goal starting today, and I will not weigh myseft till Feb 28th. MMMMMMMMM can I do it? I will try very very hard.
    Viki
  • crazy4lulu
    crazy4lulu Posts: 822 Member
    Options
    once in a GREAT while...... not often. i go by how my clothes fit!
  • TheCaren
    TheCaren Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    I weigh in weekly, but the constant fluctuations aren't upsetting to me because I know I'm eating right and the natural result of that ultimately will be the weight loss I desire. Monday is weigh in day, and if I hop on the scale Monday and it goes up from the previous week and I know I've eaten right, I don't log the weight. I just weigh in Tuesday and see what it looks like. And Wednesday if Tuesday looks bad. My weight loss has kind of stalled recently, but I took my measurements a couple days ago and I've lost another two and a half inches since the first of January. So I'm good with that for now.
  • IslandDreamer64
    IslandDreamer64 Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    I got to 280 pounds by not weighing for 20 years, so for me it's an act of accountability. I weigh every day. I know my weight can fluctuate a lot during the week, and I don't let the numbers mess with my head. But avoiding seeing my weight is a slippery slope.
  • raynavee
    Options
    I got to 280 pounds by not weighing for 20 years, so for me it's an act of accountability. I weigh every day. I know my weight can fluctuate a lot during the week, and I don't let the numbers mess with my head. But avoiding seeing my weight is a slippery slope.

This was my problem too. I weight every single morning as a reminder to myself that I'm doing this for a reason.
  • tinaharris374
    tinaharris374 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I stopped weighing myself. especially after the scale said more with clothes off..haha
  • tcs1012
    tcs1012 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I have only been doing this for a month and up until today have been weighing everyday. However, because I am easily frustrated I decided that I will weigh in only on Fridays and take measurements on the first day of each month. I will assess my progress based on how I feel and how my clothes fit.
  • striveforhealthy
    striveforhealthy Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Yup. I weigh myself once a month. I was getting too emotionally caught up in the number and it wasn't healthy. I feel a lot better about myself now.
  • jha1223
    jha1223 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    I have my numbers dialed in for my calories and macros so regardless of what the scale says, if I am or am not hitting those numbers, that scale means nothing to me. I still weigh so I can update my weight and adjust my numbers as needed. However, if I were to weigh what I do now, but be in large clothes instead of XL, what does the scale matter?

Good on ya OP.

P.S. if you need to weigh yourself every morning to remind yourself to keep eating right ... then by all means keep doing it.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    I stay away from the scale. plan to weigh once a month. at a gym if invited to one. will not keep scale at home for fear of ending up carrying it all around the house with me like a boppy.
  • sweetpea129
    sweetpea129 Posts: 755 Member
    Options
    Im a daily weigher. I find i put too much stock into what it tells me though. I went on a cruise for 9 days and it was liberating being away from it. I think im going to go to once a month or at least twice a month.
  • isitsororo
    Options
    At least two times daily on most days. I weigh in the morning to record it on here, and at night to get a "preview weight" for the next morning, because usually I'll lose about a pound during sleep.
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,306 Member
    Options
    I regained all the weight I lost by not weighing myself every day when I reached my goal. So I look at the scale as an honest friend who doesn't weigh and tell. It is a great way to be honest with yourself.

I weigh once a week now to track my loss and to make sure what i'm doing is working. It just makes sense. When I reach goal I will weigh everyday to keep my weight in check. I'm never coming back as a "I gained it all back" gal ever again.

I will add that when i lost my weight last time..there were many weeks the scale didn't move..but i was shrinking. So you can lose inches without the scale going down. Accept these truths..weigh, try on your tight clothes, measure. and be real with yourself to get the job done.