Weight lifting gloves?

Options
In this past month, I started lifting heavy weights. I find myself almost struggling with the pain in my hands more than anything at times. I used to think those gloves that people wore while weight lifting were kind of silly...oh, how wrong I was. Any suggestions on what kind I should get and where to find them? My hands can't take much more...ouchie!

Replies

• Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    You were right before, it is silly. However, since most gyms don't allow chalk to be used while lifting, ya' gotta do what you gotta do. I prefer callouses, but to each their own.

Check out:
    http://www.southcarolinabarbell.com/Accessories-Belts-Gloves-and-Straps/
  • lsjd2000
    lsjd2000 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    I bought a pair at ****s Sporting Goods, have also seen them at walmart. Most sporting goods areas should have them - try them on if you can to see if you like the fit and have the right movement in you hands before buying a pair.

---ok I can't help the stores Name why is it blocked out?
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options

---ok I can't help the stores Name why is it blocked out?

No dirty talk allowed! :laugh: Unfortunately it doesn't discriminate between the male member and the name D I C K S
  • songbirdtree
    Options
    haha the auto-censoring is hilarious. I saw some weight lifting gloves at Marshalls today so that might be a good place to check!
  • lsjd2000
    lsjd2000 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    :blushing: really should watch what I type :laugh:
  • jfan175
    jfan175 Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    I don't like the padded lifting gloves, so I just use thin work gloves from Menard's. They fit, well, like a glove and they breath well. You can find them on sale at times for 4.99 a pair.
  • Bakkasan
    Bakkasan Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    The really cheap thin ones work great. And it's nice that some people like callouses. I don't. I especially don't like them on deadlifts which is when I wear gloves. I tend to rip them.
  • AuntieKT
    AuntieKT Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys! I don't really want ones with padding either. And YES about the dead lifts! They are the main reason I want these gloves in the first place!
  • Coquette6
    Coquette6 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I have a pair of very lightly padded Nike ones and I love them. They make such a difference. I have small hands, so I already can't grip barbells and dumbbells as well as bigger people can due to the length of my fingers. I didn't want to the rest of my muscles to have to lift less than they could because of the pain in my hands. The gloves make all the difference!
  • bellesouth18
    bellesouth18 Posts: 1,072 Member
    Options
    You could order a pair of hand guards that gymnasts wear when they work out on the uneven bars. Don't get the ones with dowels in them, but the kind for beginners. Order them much smaller than your hand if you do. They're meant to fit you by hugging your hand while it's in a semi closed fist position and not completely open. Worth a try.
  • GalaxyDuck
    GalaxyDuck Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    I'd just like to point out that gloves don't actually mean no more calluses. You can still get calluses using gloves. I suggest taking a better look at the way you are holding/gripping the bar while you're performing your deadlifts, etc.

Here are some links to check out:
    http://stronglifts.com/deadlifts-callus-formation-treatment/

http://stronglifts.com/3-reasons-deadlifting-wearing-gloves-sucks/

http://www.killfatme.com/2011/02/19/how-to-avoid-blisters-from-crossfit-pull-ups/#.URE-naWdO_y
  • Leadfoot_Lewis
    Leadfoot_Lewis Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    I've used gloves as long as I've been lifting. Never had one callous or have they ever hindered any of my lifts. That said, whether you use them or not is up to personal preference.
  • OkieTink
    OkieTink Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    I have hot pink gloves with Swarovski crystals from Femme Fitale Fitness...cute, comfy and the quality is great. They aren't padded, but they do have double layer leather palms with sueded grips.

http://www.femmefitalefitness.com
  • justicer68
    justicer68 Posts: 1,223
    Options
    I have a pair of very lightly padded Nike ones and I love love love them. I've been using them for about 3+ years and I haven't gotten the first callus. I refuse to get another pair until I can find some more like them....and I really do need another pair, these have a few holes in them. lol
  • xoalynnxo
    xoalynnxo Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I have hot pink gloves with Swarovski crystals from Femme Fitale Fitness...cute, comfy and the quality is great. They aren't padded, but they do have double layer leather palms with sueded grips.

http://www.femmefitalefitness.com

i have under armor ones that i got from D I C K S Sporting goods for about $20. I like them a lot. They are hot pink and black and have leather padding in the palms like OkieTink's
  • LissaK1981
    LissaK1981 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I got a cute little pair of gloves with black leather palms and woven backs at Sport's Authority for around $15.
  • bltrexler
    bltrexler Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Bionic- they have some wrist support and nice coverage on the palm of the hand but enough exposed finger to get a good grip. I love my pair, plus they have some pink in them. :happy:
  • darkguardian419
    darkguardian419 Posts: 1,302 Member
    Options
    I got a $4 pair at Ross. I intended to use them for deadlifts, but keep forgetting them in my bag. I've since gotten past needing them. Your hand will adjust.
  • fitGgirl
    Options
    i love my gloves and can't workout without them! fingerless are best
  • thatsnumberwang
    thatsnumberwang Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    I sucked it up through the initial hand pain and now I'm deadlifting 215 glove- (and pain-) free. Wear gloves if you *want* them, but don't convince yourself you *need* them.