Avocados...

Options
MrsRamseyForever
MrsRamseyForever Posts: 28 Member
I was wondering if anyone had any good ideas on ways to use avocados. Or even to just keep them from browning if you only use a portion of them (I know lemon juice but when I have made guacamole before it still has turned brown- how much should I use?). I like avocados but don't think I could eat a whole one (and really, a whole one is quite a few calories and fat) in one sitting. So- how do you use and keep avocados?

Replies

• smae1980
    smae1980 Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    One way to keep the top of guac from getting brown is to put it in a bowl and rather than cover it with a lid, cover it with plastic wrap pressing the air out and pressing the plastic right to the top of the guac.
  • AggieFan2011
    AggieFan2011 Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    I don't know how to keep them fresh for a long period of time, but if I keep them in a sealed container the other half typically lasts from lunch until dinner. So I try to plan on incorporating it in both meals that day. Or I just eat the whole thing. They do have a higher calorie and fat content than most fruits, but they are just so darn good I can't help but eat the whole thing a lot of the time! Haha

As for how to use them... I found this recipe on Pinterest and it was really good! Perfect for lunch! http://iowagirleats.com/2012/08/20/5-minute-lunch-turkey-avocado-hummus-wrap/
  • IronGirlShae
    IronGirlShae Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I love making whole wheat toast and spreading avocado on it instead of butter. I sometimes add sliced ripe tomato (local or home grown is best) and a sprinkle of salt and pepper for an open faced sandwich. YUM. Also I make 'salad dressing' by mashing 1/4 avocado with lemon juice and salsa. Really tasty on a grilled chicken salad w/ tomato, onion, shredded carrot, and cucumber.
  • fatalis_vox
    fatalis_vox Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    To keep avocado from turning brown, leave the stone in, or put in the guac, or whatever. Avocado isn't a highly structured fruit, so if the flesh is touching the stone, it will continue to absorb the nutrients and chemicals it needs to keep fresh.
  • bossmodehan
    bossmodehan Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    ive read that keeping the stone in the part you want to save can help to preserve it, aong withe lemon juice and cling wrap tips :-) keep refridgerated too, of course.
  • AggieFan2011
    AggieFan2011 Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    I love making whole wheat toast and spreading avocado on it instead of butter. I sometimes add sliced ripe tomato (local or home grown is best) and a sprinkle of salt and pepper for an open faced sandwich. YUM. Also I make 'salad dressing' by mashing 1/4 avocado with lemon juice and salsa. Really tasty on a grilled chicken salad w/ tomato, onion, shredded carrot, and cucumber.

I've never thought about putting avocado on my toast! That sounds like it would be super good. I'm going to have to try it now!
  • julieorme
    Options
    Leaving the stone in and cling wrapping works really well. I always eat my avos over a few days and they stay nice and fresh
  • oldernotwiser
    oldernotwiser Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    The average Haas avocado I buy weighs between 4-5 ozs without the skin and pit. That's 200-250 calories. Use that in a salad with a minimal amount of olive oil & lemon and you still have a meal with only 300-400 calories.
  • silencethelamb
    silencethelamb Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Great tips here!
  • crunchybubblez
    crunchybubblez Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    I use mashed avacado for guacamole, or sandwich spread.
    Cubed in a quinoa mexican salad.
    I put avacado and tomato in a food processor with ketchup for my kids.
    You can also use it to substitute some butter in baking recipes to cut calories and fat. I've seen it on pinterest.
    And Smoothies...
  • MrsRamseyForever
    MrsRamseyForever Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much for all the great ideas :)! I didn't know that leaving the pit/stone in would help keep it from browning- I will definitely try that next time!