I don't want to be one of those people....

I know you are all probably sick of hearing from people who can't figure out why they aren't losing weight, only to see they are doing something stupid, but I think something is wrong.

Since Sunday I have gained eight and a half lbs. I know this isn't possible unless I somehow am creating matter out of nothing.
Background:
BMR:1400
TDEE:1850ish
Medical conditions: unmedicated thyroid issues - I have been high and low, due to non-cancerous tumors, PCOD, and pre-diabetic. Family history of autoimmune disorders.

Before you ask: yes, I measure everything and no I don't eat back ALL of my exercise calories, just some (30-50%).

Replies

• And yes, I see the irony in someone who is going to med school asking for help from a bunch of internet strangers, I just don't see what I am missing and need another set of eyes.
  • Aviva92
    Aviva92 Posts: 2,333 Member
    Are you sure that your scale isn't broken? That would be my first guess. Did you confirm on multiple scales?
  • Bumbeen
    Bumbeen Posts: 263 Member
    Since Sunday isn't that long, maybe give it another week........? I'm going to gain 8 pounds overnight tonight....
  • sbjmorgan
    sbjmorgan Posts: 158 Member
    1: My scale weighs differently depending on how it's sitting on my tile floors. Is it digital? Check the batteries.

2. Are you sore at all? What's your sodium intake looking like? how much water are you drinking?

3. Are you eating enough fiber? *cough*

4. What clothing are you weighing in?
  • DocMarr
    DocMarr Posts: 132 Member
    The body is a complex piece of kit and all sorts of things affect it. How much fluid intake you've had, how much undigested food you have in your system, whether you've had a lot of salty food, whether you are sleeping well (when food is processed) or whether you have exercised a lot and muscles are holding on to fluid when they are rebuilding. Weight fluctuates a LOT depending on the time of day, the time of month - all sorts of things. It's only been 5 days - it isn't a long term trend and if you are eating less than your TDEE then unlikely to be fat gain. I'd be inclined to give it a few more days and see what happens. I'd be inclined to think it will sort itself out eventually. However if you have a medical concern then I'd suggest seeing your doctor.
  • xXWhisperaXx
    xXWhisperaXx Posts: 10 Member
    If none of what others are suggesting is whats going on I would suggest going to the doctor. I don't know a lot about this situation (and I don't want to freak you out- this probably isn't the problem) but my grandma's neighbor gained a TON of weight-- to the point that she literally looked bloated-- and I don't remember what her doctor said but it had to do with her body retaining way too much water.. may have something to do with sodium levels? I'm not completely sure..

Hopefully it's just a faulty scale though!

best of luck,
    -Karen
  • I drink a minimum of 2lt a day, I weigh naked after voiding, and my diet hasn't been saltier than usual. I have been having some stomach pain, but it is likely stress related; we have a major test Monday and I am scared.

Maybe it's batteries, wouldn't that be a hell of a note.
  • blu_meanie_ca
    blu_meanie_ca Posts: 352 Member
    I've only had one episode of PCOS. However, my weight gain was out of this world (just over 100 lb in less than 3 months). If it doesn't turn out to be pre-mentral water retention I'd head into a Drs office.
  • Amazigh926
    Amazigh926 Posts: 33 Member
    Did you start your period? I can gain 8 lbs in a day and a half if I am starting my period :S sigh...
  • samantha1242
    samantha1242 Posts: 816 Member
    I drink a minimum of 2lt a day, I weigh naked after voiding, and my diet hasn't been saltier than usual. I have been having some stomach pain, but it is likely stress related; we have a major test Monday and I am scared.

Maybe it's batteries, wouldn't that be a hell of a note.

Maybe stress is affecting your weight loss? getting enough sleep? Gluten intolerant? Change up your workout routine? I don't know. Just throwing some things out there. I can gain 8 pounds in a day sometimes.

I also think that's awesome your going to med school :)
  • xXWhisperaXx
    xXWhisperaXx Posts: 10 Member
    Did you start your period? I can gain 8 lbs in a day and a half if I am starting my period :S sigh...

Amen. bloating sucks.
  • Mustang_Susie
    Mustang_Susie Posts: 7,045 Member
    I know you are all probably sick of hearing from people who can't figure out why they aren't losing weight, only to see they are doing something stupid, but I think something is wrong.

Since Sunday I have gained eight and a half lbs. I know this isn't possible unless I somehow am creating matter out of nothing.
    Background:
    BMR:1400
    TDEE:1850ish
    Medical conditions: unmedicated thyroid issues - I have been high and low, due to non-cancerous tumors, PCOD, and pre-diabetic. Family history of autoimmune disorders.

Before you ask: yes, I measure everything and no I don't eat back ALL of my exercise calories, just some (30-50%).

Is your thyroid messing with you?
    I see that kind of weight gain in my patients in acute CHF, but doubt that's your issue:wink:
  • giggitygoo
    giggitygoo Posts: 1,978 Member
    Are you weighing at the same time of day?
  • Aviva92

wow!
  • Susay2942
    Susay2942 Posts: 211 Member
    If I saw thw scale jump 8 pounds in 6 days I would be asking the same questions. I think you should consult your doctor Monday if you have gain another couple of pounds over the weekend. (Of course after you checked your scales are working correctly) It is not normal to gain a pound a day if you are eating healthy and exorcising.
  • irishblonde2011
    irishblonde2011 Posts: 618 Member
    I reckon it is either your scales or totm.

Let us know when you find out :)
  • caitlyn30
    caitlyn30 Posts: 207 Member
    unmedicated thyroid issues I'd say this.
  • Rosplosion
    Rosplosion Posts: 739 Member
    You said it yourself, STRESS.

Stop weighing yourself until after your test. Depending on how much you weigh your body can fluctuate 5-10 lbs easily. I know I fluctuate 5 lbs throughout the week.
  • I am going to try replacing the batteries. I don't get my period anymore - I'm on depo and have been for years because I a) get migraines with a visual component so no mixed hormone bc, and b) my ovulation and menstruation were both so painful I wouldn't be able to function.

To give you an idea I was 169 Sunday, 173 Tuesday and 178 today....and yes it's freaking me out.
  • Aviva92
    I would probably look for an entirely different scale, like a gym scale. Do you belong to a gym?