Military Bound?

Options
My motivation this past 6-8 months has been joining the Navy when I reach my goal weight. After losing 65lbs I started yoyo-ing with my weight. Things at home have really discouraged me, made me depressed, lonely, and feeling lack of motivation. I need something, Im not sure what, that is going to kick me back into gear. Any & all positive encouraging people feel free to reach out to me.

Im broke, job-less, money-less, car-less, friend-less, family-less, and getting a mean case of cabin fever being trapped in this house with a 3 year odl toddler with no where to go. I can feel my dreams slowly slipping away but I refuse to give up!

Replies

• Pet03
    Pet03 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    If you want to join the Navy or any other branch talk to them about a fitness program they have. I joined the Marine Corps and spent 10 years in it. They would take those individuals who did not meet the weight requirments out and exercise with them to get them within their weight requirments. Check with the local recruiters. They are generally more than willing to get people in to their branc of service and they may be able to come to you. I am not sure what the atmosphere is for the recruiters right now with all of the changes but you can talk to them. I know the Marines will work you out hard and it will be beneficial but make sure it is what you truly want because they will not waste their time if they feel you are not going to join. I spent many days in the recruiters office to ensure that was what I wanted to do and even once I did join before I shipped out I was in there asking questions to those who came homw to visit after they had been to bootcamp. You can do it even without the encouragement of family as long as it the weightloss is what you want and not for someone else. Keep your head up and buckle down the rewards are worth it not matter what your goal is. Just remember you can do it. You are strong.
  • TheNewCrystal
    Options
    Really? I have wondered if it possibel to get a sponsor(?) so that I can lose the weight and join but just shrugged it off because I thought it was silly. I will definitely look into it. Although, theres no Navy recruiters office near me, I plan on getting a car with my tax refund so maybe I can get a Navy personal trainer or something. Never hurt to ask I suppose. Thanks for your imput, and YES I knwo this is defintiely what i want.
  • dnhardy
    Options
    I say this in the nicest way possible... but be very VERY sure the military is what you want to do. After you sign those papers they literally own you. If its 3am in the morning on your off day and they need you to come scrub a toilet- you're getting your butt out of bed to go scrub that toilet. If you're out too long in the sun and get a sunburn- you just damaged government property and can get written up. I really really respect anyone that can take what the military gives you and make lemonades out of it... but I also have never met a single person that has "enjoyed" their time in the military.. especially in the Navy. My first marriage was to a sailor and I'm pretty sure that him hating his job so passionately leaked negativity into everything else in his life and just made him a sad miserable little man.

I vote you use your son as motivation. Think about how proud he will be that Mommy is smoking hot! And still alive at 99 and playing tennis twice a week with her 40 year old boyfriend. Or something. Haha :wink:
  • wolfpack61
    Options
    Just retired from the military 30+ years (ARMY), basically requirements are set according to sex, age as well as maintaining weight standards. Every six months a physical fitness test is given to all service members when thier time comes. You get a pass or fail, test goes as follows, pust up, sit up and a two mile run. This is of course Army standard. Navy my have more, like some swimming. Good luck.
  • TheNewCrystal
    Options
    I have no doubt, Military is what i want. If I could Id sign tomorrow.
  • TheNewCrystal
    Options
    Thats one reason I want to be military (being healthy) but theres sooooooo many more reasons too. Good health doesnt reallt run in my family but Im here to be the one who changes the pattern. College is also not part of my familys past but liek I said Im here to change that. I want better for my daughter. She will grow up knowing that school is her life. And when she graduates HS that college is next. There is no "if" when it comes to college unless she joins the military!
  • squeakyfish
    squeakyfish Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Good for you! Keep your daughter as your motivation and you will do great. My spouse has been in 19 yrs and it has been a good life for us. Healthcare is great, retirement benefits are great (if you stay 20 yrs.), pay is not great as enlisted, but there are housing allowances and commissary benefits as well. If you are smart when you choose a field, you will have marketable skills. We also transferred my spouse's gi Bill to our child so college is pretty much funded. Know that you will have to spend a significant amount of time away from your child. You will miss birthdays, 1st school days, graduations, holidays, etc. If you have a good enough support system to manage that, you'll be ok. Good luck on the weight loss. It's tough, but the good habits you learn now will help you in the military.
  • ChancyW
    ChancyW Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    but I also have never met a single person that has "enjoyed" their time in the military..

My husband joined the Army 7 years ago and it's one of the best decisions we've ever made! He loves his job! But he & I both come from heavy military backgrounds so that may play a role in why we can handle it better than other people.

OP Don't let anyone tell you what a good decision is for you...only you can decide that for yourself!!! If you want to join the military then make it happen!!!

Good luck in your journey & you can add me if you'd like extra motivation!

-Chancy
  • willprovost
    willprovost Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    When I decided to go into the Air Force, the recruiter looked at 18 year old me, at 5'7" tall and a stout (you know, a polite word for fat) and out of shape 215 pounds... and said "you know, you're going to have to lose a bit of weight." So, since that's what needed to be done, I did it. I worked out 3 times a week with two friends, got on Weight Watchers (even went to the weekly meetings) and lost 45 pounds to go in. I lost almost 6 inches off my waist, if I recall correct. I did this in the span of 4 months... So, it can be done.

Don't give up, keep doing the right things, and you'll make it work.

Anyways, I spent 4 years in. Glad I went in and served. Glad I got out, too.

Good luck!
  • TheNewCrystal
    Options
    Thank you for your kind encouragement! This is what i want, no doubt. I know its not going to be all fun but its something I have to do. I didnt go to college, and have no future for me. The military IS my future, and Im proud of that.
  • TheNewCrystal
    Options
    Thats where Im at, the sooner I lose the sooner I can join. But my current situation makes it hard, not impossible but harder than I want it to be. But I guess it will also make my triumph that much sweeter!
  • willprovost
    willprovost Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Maybe you didn't go to college. Yet.

I used my GI Bill benefits to the max, going back to school three times after I got out, getting my A.S., B.S., and eventually went back (no GI Bill benefits left for this one) and got my M.B.A.

Sometimes there's just a delay, not an endpoint.
  • ACSL3
    ACSL3 Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    Just retired from the military 30+ years (ARMY), basically requirements are set according to sex, age as well as maintaining weight standards. Every six months a physical fitness test is given to all service members when thier time comes. You get a pass or fail, test goes as follows, pust up, sit up and a two mile run. This is of course Army standard. Navy my have more, like some swimming. Good luck.

Just in case you don't already know, the Navy PT test (PRT) is push-ups, crunches, and a 1.5 mi run. You can substitute a 500m swim for the run, and some commands will let you do a bike or elliptical instead of the run. You can find all the standards (to include body fat standards) at http://www.navy-prt.com

Good luck with your goal! I wish you the best!
  • cuterbee
    cuterbee Posts: 545
    Options
    Talk to a recruiter. When my son joined 3 years ago, there was a wait list for some branches. His recruiter met with all the wannabees every Saturday and they'd all exercise and run. This motivated my kid to do more on his own time, so that by the time he went to boot camp he was much more fit. If you are not quite fit at the end of boot camp, in the Air Force at least, they keep you longer until you are fit enough to pass the tests (lucky for my kid, he didn't have to stay longer!).

Not all recruiters are the same, though. You want one who'll work with you and return your calls. My son and I probably called 11-12 different people before he found the right one.
  • cuterbee
    cuterbee Posts: 545
    Options
    ... but I also have never met a single person that has "enjoyed" their time in the military..:

Are you kidding? My son is a single guy, stationed in Germany, in the Air Force; he's saved half his pay, loves his computer job, and has lots of friends to pal around with. I don't know too many 25 year old people who are debt free and have managed to save $25K on their own. It's been a nice transition into the working world for him.
  • Ascolti_la_musica
    Ascolti_la_musica Posts: 676 Member
    Options
    When I was 17, I was emancipated from the foster care system. I had a GED and the clothes on my back. My recruiter was just looking for another number to fill his quota, but a friend of his (also a recruiter), let me live with her and her family for two weeks. She put a roof over my head, and helped me get in shape.
    I was discharged 5 days before completing basic training, because I wasn't actually ready to be there. (Too young, angry, lost/confused, etc.) My time in boot camp was probably the happiest I have been in my life, and it was devastating to not make it. I still had a GED and the clothes on my back, but the same lack of resources I had going in.

I wish you the best of luck in your military career. But since you are asking for advice, let me tell you this: if you expect the military to fix the other problems in your life, you will not make it. Make sure you have your life/head straight before you go in. Your daughter is an excellent motivator, but who will take care of her while you are in training or deployed?

Talk to a recruiter. Even if you have to find one in another town. See if they can help you for a few weeks, and (more importantly) help you make sure this decision is really what you are hoping/expecting it to be.