ATTN: Joggers -- I want some input/advice

Options
I am training for a 5k in May. I've been working out for about a month, month and a half now. I alternate jogging/walking and I do it for about an hour 4 days a week.

I don't start feeling really good until 40 minutes into the hour. For 40 minutes I have stiffness in my thighs.

I'm not sure if I should stretch before my workout to loosen up those muscles or if I should try some yoga or squats or something...Or maybe I'm jogging in bad form?

Any tips on posture, stretches, pre or post workout advice?

Replies

• EdwarddeVere
    Options
    yes
  • blues4miles
    blues4miles Posts: 1,481 Member
    Options
    Should be at least a 5 minute warm-up walk prior to your running. Stretch a little after that. Then at the end of your run, stretch even more. However, the soreness is most likely because you just started running a month ago and are now running an hour a day four days a week. So I guess you could cut back on that, or just deal with the soreness.
  • athenawho
    Options
    I do a 5 minute warm up walk each time. At first I was only doing 30 minutes then I up-ed it to 45 after 3 weeks and now up to 60. Each time though, soreness.

After 40 minutes I feel like I can go for hours.

just to clarify: after the warm up I was doing 5 minutes jog, 5 minute walk...until the end when I through in a minute of running here and there.
  • chubbygirl253
    chubbygirl253 Posts: 1,309 Member
    Options
    I've been jogging a few months, done a couple 5ks. I jog 2-6 miles 5-6 days a week. I would say yes, stretch before. But that being said, I definitely find the beginning to be the hardest and intervals are harder for me. Once I started doing the longer runs I realized that once my body adjusts and I hit my stride I'm much better off. I learned that back when I did c25k. Week5/day 3 was the dreaded 20 min run and I didnt think I could do it but after 10-12 mins it got much easier. Week 6 was back to 10 min intervals and it sucked. Why? Because just as my body was getting acclimated to running I stopped to walk. When week 7 took me back to longer runs (25 mins) I excelled. Even now that I can run 6-7 miles straight I still find the beginning to be the hardest. Mile 2 usually sucks. But then I'm on mile 3 and it gets better.

My tips:
    1. Slow down, take it slow. Speed will come later.
    2. Instead of intervals for an hour do a test run of 20 mins (no walking) and see how you feel. Build up from there to 25, 30+ mins. If you aren't ready for 20 straight, try 10-15.
    3. Know when to stop. I stop when I have pain or feel short of breath. I know the difference between aches from soreness and pain from injury. I push through aches. I stop if I have pain.
    4. Wear good shoes.

Keep it up! I promise it gets easier. I ran 6.5 miles Wednesday and mile 2 sucked. And the last half mile was hard. But i'm glad I pushed through mile 2 because 3-6 felt like I was flying!
  • athenawho
    Options
    Thank you! Tomorrow I will take your advice with my workout!!
  • eleanorknowles
    Options
    When you stretch, much better that these are 'dynamic' or moving stretches, rather than the standing still stretches which you should do at the end of a run.
    Skipping (both high skips and long skips); jogging with high knees; jogging whilst windmilling your arms forwards and backwards; and some of the moves you might see in a good dance workout, would all count as dynamic stretches.

Don't give up - it sounds like your running is going really well and you are doing plenty of time on your feet, if your goal is the 5k. ps. do you stretch after the run too?
  • athenawho
    Options
    Wow, I never thought of that!

I do stretch after my run! There is a station in my gym just for post-work out stretches. I spend a little time in there, have a free post-workout 5 minute massage, come home and do 10-15 minutes of seated stretches focusing on my flexibility. (mostly stuff I did in dance classes since I don't know any better...)