Am I just destined to be this size ?

Options
Any advise will be welcomed greatly.

Just weighed myself after a 6 mile walk, and in 4 weeks of eating healthier food, exercising doing fat burn and weights, I have put a pound on ????
my BMI has increased 0.4 .............BODY FAT has decreased 2.6.................. VISCERAL FAT has stayed the same........................... and WAIST has decreased by 1 inch.

I know some of this is good but why NO WEIGHT LOSS ?

Replies

• smantha32
    smantha32 Posts: 6,990 Member
    Options
    Your body is changing composition. It can take some time to show up on the scale. I went 3 months once without a scale change but I dropped sizes.
    Let go of expectations and just keep working on it. :flowerforyou:
  • rachelabdy
    rachelabdy Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    that would be frustrating I can imagine :(
    Definitely good numbers there though and overall good for your long term goals.
    Perhaps it's different for men vs women too with all that BMI, muscle, fat ratio so possibly perfectly normal.
    I agree with what smantha32 said - sounds like common sense.
  • ratts82
    ratts82 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I feel like this - I am eating within my calories, exercising fairly hard 4-5 times a week. In the first 2 weeks, I lost 4 pounds and have since put 2 back on. My measurements have altered very slightly (decreased!) but other than this, I cannot believe all the hard work and control over food has led to a gain. I am tempted to just be eating what I fancy, within reason and keep going to the gym!
  • cjsacto
    cjsacto Posts: 1,421 Member
    Options
    If those numbers are accurate and your body fat decreased but the scale didn't change, that means you gained some muscle. Awesome!!

Also, did you say you weighed yourself right after a long walk? Weight tends to be a bit higher right after you exercise, and our weight can fluctuate within a day by several pounds due to water retention and the contents of the intestines. Weigh yourself first thing in the morning and at the same time every time to get an accurate point for comparison.
  • Jen800
    Jen800 Posts: 548 Member
    Options
    Hi jamie,

Don't worry about it too much. If you weigh yourself after exercise it's usually never accurate (either muscles retaining water to repair or body has dehydrated from sweating so much)

However, you may want to double check you are not eating over goal, sneaking things in without logging, and pay attention to your sodium intake. These can all affect weight.

Honestly, the scale is the worst measure of progress. You should be absolutely THRILLED at your progress so far! You've done great! You've only joined a month ago, and these things take time. Have you tried drinking extra water? I noticed on your food diary that your sodium intake is very close to maximum everyday (people shouldn't consume more than 2500 MAX per day)

Also, you could try tweaking your macros. Everyone is different. Personally, my diary is set to 50% carbs, 25% protein, and 25% fat. You may be overdoing it on carbs for your specific plan.Perhaps more veggies instead of flour products :)?
  • vorgas
    vorgas Posts: 741 Member
    Options
    In the first few weeks of exercising you can expect weight gain. Especially if you're lifting weights. This is for a number of reasons, but the important thing is that most of it is liquid.

I also noticed you had a pretty significant amount of sodium recently so you probably have some liquid retention now. It's pretty easy for weight to fluctuate +/- 5 lbs from liquid alone.

The important thing is the trends are heading the right way.

If you are super concerned about it...

1. Make sure you are measuring and weighing everything you eat, and recording it. Even grazing.
    2. Use a more accurate method of calculating your RMR, such as the Katch-McCardle formula. http://www.calculatorpro.com/calculator/katch-mcardle-bmr-calculator/
    3. Set your MFP weight loss goal to a level that accurately reflects your accurate RMR.
    4. Cut back on sugary foods, including fruits

It also seems you are eating back exercise calories. Not sure how you are calculating those, but MFP is notorious for not calculating them correctly (it just doesn't track enough information). Get a HRM, find your VO2 Max, and use that for calculating calorie burn.
  • lucylousmummy
    lucylousmummy Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    try not to stress about the numbers to much, i bloat and can gain upto 5lbs after a big exercise session or long walk its usually gone within 48 hours, i had a look at your diary and it all looks fab apart from the going over on sodium, but to be honest im terrible for doing this too, the stand by answer to this is make sure you drink plenty of water to flush it out of your system i hate water so put up with the temporary gain

i no it can be disheartening after trying so hard with little results but it WILL come off eventually and once the ball is rolling there will be no stopping you, believe me i've been there

good luck x
  • damiannikodem
    damiannikodem Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    you know what, thats actually pretty damn good progress.

I would be pretty damn stoked with a 2.6% gain in lean muscle with a 2.5% loss of fat. ( at the moment im sitting on approximately a 20% drop in fat so far I have lost approximately 15kg of fat and 2 of muscle.)

if you keep this up Since muscle is heavier than fat your body will shrink significantly, and at some stage you could end up looking pretty damn tanked. and since having more muscle gives you a higher BMR there are benefits all round.
  • Fozzi43
    Fozzi43 Posts: 2,984 Member
    Options
    Ignore the scale..go by measurements instead..people can see measurements, they can't see the scale...
  • ALittleBitLess1
    ALittleBitLess1 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    About 20 months ago i got into running for the first time, got alot slimmer but did not weigh that much less after 10 months. I have now gone up 2 dress sizes, got quite a bit more wobbly but dont actually weigh that much more. So stick with the exercise, you will be doing do much good to your body on the inside and in time you will see results on the outside too.
    I have stopped weighing myself since starting to be healthy again this time and am going to use how I feel and how I fit into my clothes as my motivator.
    Keep at it!
  • jamie610811
    jamie610811 Posts: 1,735 Member
    Options
    Cheers guys.

my average bmr on numerous sites equates to 2186 , so this will be my bench mark no lower than 2200 and only eat 25% of my exercise back ( according to MFP CALCULATIONS ) which seem to be higher than other sites for the same exercise and time .
    Hope this helps me will report back end of Feb
  • dpakers
    Options
    Hi Jami:
    Don't worry about the scale right now, never weigh yourself and night, The best time to weigh yourself is in the morning. You are losing inches that is a very good sign, and as you are dieting and eating healther, your fat is turning into muscle. Muscle weighs more than fat. Keep up the good work. I usually never go by a scale, I go by my clothes.:flowerforyou: