So how long did it take you to..

Options
Ok so I have a question. I have been tracking and counting calories. I seem to have that down pretty well. I use both the computer and my phone app( I tend to use my phone app more because it helps more when doing portions) So I go and look at my daily nutrient details. How long did it take you guys to get those to not got over? I haven't gone over my calories.. but sometimes I go over the other stuff, Im trying to be good about the protein and carbs and such. But I tend to go over on fat or sodium( not under my daily calorie in take) Does this makes sense? Im just wondering now that I have my calories under control should I start focusing more to the smaller things( watching more of the fat content or sodium content) Feel free to look at my diary for past reference. I know i have had some people before not worry so much about the individual nutrients but the calories are what count. I am loosing weight still but I'm just wanting to know how long it took you guys to get all of the nutrient details right? Im not trying to be perfect just trying to get the best results for me. Also I see a lot of you who take whey protein should I start taking that? Does it help w/ weight loss? or just w/ your protein intake?

Thanks!
Maggie~

Replies

• lin7604
    lin7604 Posts: 3,019 Member
    Options
    i have been on here almost 1.5 years and i still can't get it all right. it took me a long time just to get my calories in tack, never mind not going over carbs or sodium, etc i find it very hard!
  • chooriyah
    chooriyah Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    I don't worry about it too much. I'm pescetarian and there's no tofu where I live, so it can often be a challenge to hit the protein targets. I find it helpful to know, and as a result I've been incorporating more fish and beans into my diet, and skimping on oil and butter wherever possible. But in terms of targets I don't stress about it. I'm more worried about getting some fresh fruit and veggies into my diet at the moment.

The problem with sodium is that it will make you feel bloated and retain water, meaning you might not see the results on the scale that you are earning. If you consistently go over, I would consider trying to reduce the amount of processed food, take outs and fast food that you eat per week. Or pinpoint the big culprits in your diary and reduce those.
  • KeithChanning
    KeithChanning Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    Me too. Calories no problem. With the macros, I keep sodium very low, due to essential hypertension, sugar goes over regularly, the others I track fall in the definition of "there or thereabouts"
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    I don't worry about it when on a calorie deficit and I still lost a decent bit of weight.

The protein 'target' most would consider way too low - I would generally go for way higher (around 1g per lb of body weight).
    Protein is definitely the one you 'want' to over of any of them.

I'm now trying a 'leangains' approach, which does stipulate lower fat intake on workout days when you're in a calorie excess, but higher on days when you're eating under.

The reason I "wouldn't worry about it", is that it's unlikely MFP has got set what is 'best for you' from what I've seen.
    Further, what's "best for you" is often the diet which you can stick to!
  • amyljl77
    amyljl77 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    You know, honestly, I think it depends on the person. For me, I notice I feel better when I get enough fat and protein so I only watch those nutrients to make sure I feel good. Maybe it's different for other people. No matter how hard I try, I ALWAYS go over on sugar.
  • weird_me2
    weird_me2 Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    It would be nearly impossible to get it ALL right all the time. I personally never worry about going over on fat or protein. My personal feeling is that if I'm at or under calorie goal, then I'm fine. I try to eat a balanced diet and have lots of fruits and veggies and lean protein, but I also indulge a lot and it's not a big issue.

As for sodium, if you really need to cut it down, just read labels, don't add salt to anything and buy no salt added canned goods. Stay away from most canned soups and frozen meals, too. And pickles.
  • MLibby84
    Options
    Thanks everyone :)
  • christinastokes3
    christinastokes3 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I have never gone over on sodium but I have for sugars and fat. I do try to keep those under but the rest I have a hard time getting them to where they should be. Sugars and fat are where I try to concentrate on keeping low. Calories I hardly ever go over either. I have been doing this since May 2012 and have lost 47 pounds.