Fruit & Veggie 1-Day Challenge – Saturday Feb 2, 2013

Options
I see GREEN in your future!!

:flowerforyou: This challenge is meant for those who would like to increase their fruit and veggie consumption and create an awareness of their nutritional values.

Did you know that the recommendation is to eat at least 9 servings of veggies/fruit per day?

Would you like to learn to enjoy fresh fruits and veggies? Can you use some support and good ideas? Me too!! You know that "fruits and vegetables" are good for you. But what are you doing about it? This is a weekly challenge for 2013! (And it does not have to be Saturday, it can be any day of the week.)

Here is how the challenge works:
-SUBSTITUTE any (or all) of the starch / meat / dairy food portion in a meal with Fresh Vegetables (where possible)
-EAT vegetables and/or fruit at every meal and snack time for the day.
-Have only (fresh) fruits or vegetables for snacks
-Drink 8oz of water and no alcohol / soft drinks
-Aim for 30g of fiber for the day

-Use common sense - Retrain your Senses !! (If you can't do a whole day, do one meal)

YOU decide to be in! YOU benefit!
1. Post if you are in and what you are going to do for the day
2. Report back how you did at the end of the day or – also good - the next morning!

Good luck everyone!
Rebel Renny
From Vancouver Island, BC, Canada

p.s. For some this approach creates a cleanse... especially if you have not been used to a high fiber intake.

Replies

• suebdew
    suebdew Posts: 1,330 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the new fruit veggie challenge. Think I will try one meal and snack this time.
  • westernjoy
    westernjoy Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I'm in.
    My goal for February is 25 to 30 grams of fiber a day.
    Thanks Renny
  • bjmcq
    bjmcq Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    Hey RebRennie,

Sometimes it is too hard for me to do this on a weekend, but I will try to do a day this week on a day when I am home!

Have loved it before!
  • texasgal22
    texasgal22 Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    I can do a meal and a snack - that's about all the fresh veggies I have on-hand :smile:
  • Sasha4427
    Sasha4427 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I'm in again,
    fruit and steel cut oats for breakfast (can't give up my oats)
    fruit for snacks
    salad for lunch
    veggie snack
    stiir fry with tofu (lots of veg, carrots, bok choy, broccoli, brussels, peppers).

Lila
  • determinedinAZ
    determinedinAZ Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I'm in for Fruit & Veggie 1 day challenge for breakfast and lunch.
  • kemit1976
    kemit1976 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I will do mine tomorrow at it is evening here,, I will have fruit smoothie which has banana, strawberry black berry raw milk for breakfast, snacks will be fruit, as i have nectarines, peaches, lunch will be salad from the garden, then tea will be salmon with veges..
  • barbaraaloska
    barbaraaloska Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I will give it a go, have not done my meal plan for the day yet, will report each evening on my intake for the day so it will be accurate.

Thank you Renny, this is a great challenge!

Barbara in Sequim,Wa
  • djcon
    djcon Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    I will do my best to do this challenge all day Saturday Feb.2,2013...Thanks for this post. What a great idea.
  • barbaraaloska
    Options
    breakfast sammy this morning with egg, sausage pattie and two butter lettuce leaves
    lunch was stirfry of baby summer squash, carrot, brussel sprouts, mushrooms and a bit of left over steak
    dinner, nice salad and then small serving of shrimp and grits with andouille chicken sausage
    honey crisp apple and a handful of fresh blueberries

Did not make nine servings but got close, drank my water!

Barbara in Sequim Wa
  • westernjoy
    westernjoy Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Couldn't believe how much fiber that is in blackberries 8 grams per cup. Have 5 gallons left in the freezer.
    Joyce of Longview WA.
  • djcon
    Options
    Breakfast ---apple and blueberry fruit salad

Lunch --- Spicy Cabbage sautee ( in a little bit of vegetable oil, sautee onion, green, red, yellow peppers,and ginger, next add shredded cabbage until limp add a couple of teaspoons of sriracha hot sauce with the cabbage , add light sodiums soy sauce toward the end) delish

Dinner
    sweet potato (unfortunately I added butter and brown sugar) and turkey vegetable soup

Snack ---apple

The soup had very little turkey...but I did add brown sugar to the sweet potato...Those two were the exceptions to keeping me from eating totally veggies and fruit today
  • RebelRenny
    RebelRenny Posts: 1,073 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Wow, so nice to hear from you ladies. I felt I did really well today.
    Breakfast: eggwhite omelette with mixed veggies
    snack: orange,kiwi,banana
    Lunch: green beans and yam
    snack: avocado,banana
    Dinner: kale/peanut salad

All together the fiber added up to 50grams. I can't remember the last time that happened! And it was not the sprinkled on kind of fiber, it was the whole food type. I am amazed how that added up.

I did have 2 glasses of wine.

Also went to my 10k training and walked 40 minutes. Then my dd and dgs came over this afternoon and we went for another walk. So, it was a good day.

I will check back in tomorrow morning!
    Renny
  • Sasha4427
    Sasha4427 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    6 servings of F&V but the fruit salad had 7 kinds of fruit in it. A little low on the veg, but will make up for that today. Didn't have the stir fry but plan on doing that today, (what do you call it when it's not fried, but steamed instead?). Need to check and see what the fiber count was.
    Lila
  • 50ishFoodie
    50ishFoodie Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Started Saturday with good intentions. Had peaches with my yogurt in the Am and a big salad for lunch. But only a little cabbage slaw with my dinner. Today - Sunday - I went to the grocers and bought a jicama and hummus. Came home and cut it up, along with celery and carrots and ate a plateful of raw veggies with hummus for lunch. Peaches for breakfast again. Will have an orange later, and fresh tomatillo salsa -- tomatillos, chilies, onions, and cilantro. Plus, cabbage in my stuffed burger. Better.
  • barbaraaloska
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Started my day with a sweet potato hash mixed with red bell peppers(1), diced smoked sausage and a scrambled egg to tie it together.

Lunch was water pack albacore, dill relish, evoo mayo,spicy brown mustard all rolled up in(2) butter lettuce leaves:tongue:

afternoon Snack was fresh strawberries(3) and blue berries(4):love:

Super Bowl Dinner of oven roasted :explode: hot wings, blue cheesedip, celery(5), carrots(6), radishes(7), & spinach dip made with greek yogurt

Dessert Honey Crisp Apple(8) with almond butter

8 glasses of water:drinker:

Tomorrow I have fresh organic golden beets to fix, want to get some collards to fix, planning a vegetable dinner deluxe, stuffed baby portabella mushrooms.....good times!!!!:bigsmile:

Barbara Ann in Sequim Wa
  • djcon
    Options

Dinner: kale/peanut salad
    Renny:how do you make this...Sounds so good
  • texasgal22
    texasgal22 Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    I can do a meal and a snack - that's about all the fresh veggies I have on-hand :smile:

Accomplished: Sunday, 2/3
    1 apple, large for breakfast (equivalent to a snack)
    BLT Salad for lunch w/o dressing, croutons or cheese

:bigsmile:
  • RebelRenny
    RebelRenny Posts: 1,073 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: New challenge is up: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/885878-fruit-veggie-1-day-challenge-saturday-feb-9-2013.

See you there!:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: