Lifting NSV

Options
Set a PR this morning which mainly because I've never done deadlifts much before. But finally was able to deadlift my body weight at 225. Feels good to have two 45 pound weights on each side when just a couple months ago it was embarrassing to me to have a guy of my size with under 100 lbs on the bar. Strength is definitely going up thanks to stronglifts 5x5. Next goal is 300 lbs hopefully I wont have too hard a time getting there.

Replies

• Cathy7794
    Cathy7794 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! :drinker: Isn't that an awesome feeling?! I'm doing stronglifts also and finally reached body weight on squats a couple weeks ago. Now I'm up to 20 pounds over my body weight and it makes me feel like I can do anything!! :glasses:
  • RunDoozer
    RunDoozer Posts: 1,699 Member
    Options
    Yeah I'm really happy. Taking a lot of time to get Up to body weight on the other exercises since I'm so heavy
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! I remember the first time I pulled 225. I probably looked like a total tool when I did a mini-happy dance after setting the bar down.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    Nice going man! It's always a major moment when you first hoist your body weight. Good work! Now get cracking on 1.25x! lol
  • SuperCork
    SuperCork Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    Awesome story! I can't wait to get back in the gym and see where my deadlifts are: previously, DL'd 5lbs under my body weight, but that was about 20lbs ago. Can't relate about comparing myself to other gymgoers because don't see many females DLing (plus, I'm fairly tall, so hard to compare myself to short chicks and certainly not concerned with what dudes doing).

Thanks for the inspiration and I wish you many more NSVs!
  • Gallowmere1984
    Options
    Oh, and as for the 300+, it will come faster than you think. Early deadlift gains are definitely more mental and CNS than muscle accumulation anyway. For me, getting that damned 'lifting heavy with your back will hurt you' crap out of my head was the hardest part. I still get comments in the gym from people all of the time when pulling like "man, you must have a strong lower back. I could never pick that up." even when pulling my low weight sets like 315. The mind can do terrible things to one's progress.
  • RunDoozer
    RunDoozer Posts: 1,699 Member
    Options
    Oh, and as for the 300+, it will come faster than you think. Early deadlift gains are definitely more mental and CNS than muscle accumulation anyway. For me, getting that damned 'lifting heavy with your back will hurt you' crap out of my head was the hardest part. I still get comments in the gym from people all of the time when pulling like "man, you must have a strong lower back. I could never pick that up." even when pulling my low weight sets like 315. The mind can do terrible things to one's progress.

Hopefully not. I don't think I'm that close to failure yet but we'll see
  • notworthstalking
    notworthstalking Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    Way to go. I think it's awesome how you guys (and girls) push yourselves to achieve these feats. Keep up the hard work.

I would like to do more hardcore lifting, but would prefere to wait to be able to afford a gym and trainer. But I am getting stronger (more slowly) at home. I think I prefer strength gain to any other gains at the moment :)
  • jimmie65
    jimmie65 Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    Congrats!
  • jackaroo21
    jackaroo21 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Thats great, been lifting for three months but not on a program, just my own thing. Got stronger but ready for the heavy lifting. Starting 5x5 or starting stregth next week. Not sure which one yet. Lifting for three months and have not done a deadlift or a squat yet so I am nervoua but excited too.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Options

Hopefully not. I don't think I'm that close to failure yet but we'll see

I seriously doubt you are. My dead was up to 315 before two months was out. The strength was there, it was just hard to break the fear and kick myself in the *kitten* at first. Once you realize that everything you have been told while growing up about "lifting with your back" is crap (which it looks like you've already done), it becomes so much easier. :)