Confusion! -- Ground Turkey!!

Options
I want to make spaghetti tonight... I know the calories in my sauce (Ragu-chucky-tomato, basil, garlic ='s 80) and I know the calories in 2oz of noodles (210) ...but when I factor in my ground turkey I am not sure how much to eat. It says that 4oz is 160 calories... how much is 4oz of ground turkey??

Replies

• HealthyChanges2010
    HealthyChanges2010 Posts: 5,831 Member
    Options
    8 oz. = 1 cup
    4 oz. = 1/2 cup

That's typically measurements for liquid form, but will work for your recipe calculating purpose. If you want to measure out the meat, you might want to weight it on a scale instead (I measure mine after cooking).

hth
    Becca:flowerforyou:

edited because I clicked in the middle of my posting:blushing: :yawn:
  • SammyLynn010
    SammyLynn010 Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    Hmmm...You are a genius, and I am an idiot! I guess I was confused if it would be the same for meat! wow ... I'm dumb! hahaha
  • HealthyChanges2010
    Options
    Hmmm...You are a genius, and I am an idiot! I guess I was confused if it would be the same for meat! wow ... I'm dumb! hahaha
    Nah I'm hardly a genius and you're sure not dumb!:tongue::laugh: Recipe measurements stay the same but when you measure out liquid and solid that's when measuring cups for liquid and some solids work better for some things. Least that's how I do it for accuracy.
  • lvfunandfit
    lvfunandfit Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty sure you need to weigh meat with a scale to be accurate. Measuring volume (using measuring cups) is for liquid and grain products.

http://www.ehow.com/how_4524534_measure-food-serving-size.html

This site helps you visualize portion size
    http://www.webmd.com/diet/healthtool-portion-size-plate

This should help also

Tips

It isn't always practical to pull out the measuring cup; therefore you can use the following guides to help you visualize the recommended serving sizes:
    Your fist equals one cup of cereal or one baked potato.
    Three ounces of meat or grilled/baked fish is equal to one deck of cards.
    Two Tablespoons of peanut butter equals one ping-pong ball.
    One teaspoon of margarine equals one dice.
    One-quarter cup of raisins equals one large egg.
    One medium fruit equals one baseball.
    One-half cup of fruit equals one-half baseball.
  • thirtyby40
    thirtyby40 Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    I may be incorrect, but when I do it I just give an estimate. Usually I buy my ground turkey in a 1 pound package, since there are 16 ounces in a pound I would eat about a 1/4 of the meat and assume I was having 4 oz. It may not be a perfect science but it seems to be working so far. :wink:
  • KarenECunningham
    KarenECunningham Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    When I make spaghetti I brown the meat and weigh it put it back in the pan and finish the sauce. I use a pound of very low fat ground beef in my sauce. What ever ingredients I use I measure the end results and divide it by servings and this gives me my total calories.
  • KarenECunningham
    KarenECunningham Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    I forgot to say I use a scale to measure the ounces on the meat.
  • SammyLynn010
    SammyLynn010 Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    I really need to invest in a scale I just haven't broken down to do it yet... I am trying to decide between that and a HRM... LOL
  • HealthyChanges2010
    Options
    They always have great coupons in the Bed Bath and Beyond advertisement flyers in the mail. They seem to have alot of variety. I got a really nice one for $15 after the coupons. I'd suggest you think of purchasing one with the plastic place and bowl so you can use that to measure meats etc., helps alot.

Becca:heart:
  • HealthyChanges2010
    Options
    I'm pretty sure you need to weigh meat with a scale to be accurate. Measuring volume (using measuring cups) is for liquid and grain products.
    Great tips, I'm glad you posted them, thanks :bigsmile:

I could be mistaken but I thought SammyLynn was asking so she could calculate her cals for the recipe? Sorry if I confused anyone by going too far and mentioning the weighing part:blushing:

Becca:flowerforyou:
  • lvfunandfit
    lvfunandfit Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    I may be incorrect, but when I do it I just give an estimate. Usually I buy my ground turkey in a 1 pound package, since there are 16 ounces in a pound I would eat about a 1/4 of the meat and assume I was having 4 oz. It may not be a perfect science but it seems to be working so far. :wink:

That's how I do it. LOL I'm not a precise measurer.
  • aawh
    aawh Posts: 96 Member
    Options

That's how I do it. LOL I'm not a precise measurer.

This is also how I've been doing it!
  • ChiWaWaMaMa4
    Options
    I just bought a little tiny 1 cup scale at Walmart for about $5. I have abig one that weighs up to 10 lbs in my ffice... but I just wanted something tiny for my kitchen. SO far so good!!

I really need to invest in a scale I just haven't broken down to do it yet... I am trying to decide between that and a HRM... LOL
  • July24Lioness
    July24Lioness Posts: 2,399 Member
    Options

You are correct. You can't measure weight in a measuring cup.
  • Serenifly
    Serenifly Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    8 oz. = 1 cup
    4 oz. = 1/2 cup

GENUIS! Thanks! I never know about OZ's when filling out my food thingy! lol I just totally wing it! :)