I want to hear success stories from non-gym goers!

Options
1235»

Replies

• MrsSWW
    MrsSWW Posts: 1,590 Member
    Options
    All my weight loss has been without a gym. Lots of walking and 30 day shred videos off YouTube.
    Same here, 10k+ steps a day, 30 Day Shred/Tae Bo/Kettlebell workouts off Youtube, away you go! :flowerforyou:
  • Faye_Anderson
    Faye_Anderson Posts: 1,495 Member
    Options
    90lb down and I rarely move from this seat :laugh:
  • dhencel
    dhencel Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    I am not a person to keep up with the gym.. So my exercise is whatever I feel like.. In summer, I do like to walk.. But I have videos and even record Gilad on TV.. He has a good workout and targets different areas of body every day.. But the abs are every day.....And the view is beautiful, not a studio but Hawaii!!!! It is on Discovery health channel....Also try YouTube/BeFit for videos..
  • TrishLG
    TrishLG Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Just remember that although you do not need to run marathons, you do need to keep the most important muscle in your body fit. That is, of course, the heart muscle. Couch Potato all but 1/2 hour a day is not healthy for you or anyone.
    Also we are social beings. It is not good for the psyche to isolate.
    Find someplace where you can socialize more.
    I do not believe that man can stay emotionally healthy as an island.
  • stackhsc
    stackhsc Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    no gym, treadmill at home but thats all
  • JanaCanada
    JanaCanada Posts: 917 Member
    Options
    I have a recumbent bike and treadmill at home, plus hand weights....all purchased used on Kijiji or Craigslist. I also use the town rec centre pool - lot sof Aquafit classes there. You don't need a gym membership to lose weight. However, to build muscle, there is no better place.
  • julesxo
    julesxo Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    I've never had a gym membership and don't plan on getting one.

I own my own equipment but I don't use it much anymore now that I do work out videos. I did 30 Day Shred, Ripped in 30 and now I am in week 2 of Insanity.

Here are some before/in progress pictures (I've had two kids so be nice :))

beforeafter_zps6e50ec4e.jpg

beforeafter1_zps6659c2cb.jpg
  • shelliehooper
    Options
    I am a hard working mom of 7 (4 left at home). I have no time before or after work to go to the gym:ohwell: Cutting out all pop, measuring my portions and keeping careful track of WHAT I am eating has helped. Not to mention that my job is very physical, I am a certified nurses aide at a local nursing home. I walk about 5 miles a day at work alone and do alot of heavy lifting, bending and stretching.:yawn: As long as you get moving and get your heart up there is no need to join a gym. :bigsmile: I've lost 16 pounds this month alone!! You can too!
  • hidbear
    hidbear Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hi there! This time I am not a gym member, I just don't have room for it in the budget. This first month I've lost 7 lbs on just the diary and adding walking a few times a week into my life. I work overnights so it is hard for me to have a set time to do anything, and I'm am lucky enough to live in Florida so the snow isn't an issue. The thing that is really working for me this time is meeting friends to walk some days and going to different parks/bridges/trails a few times a week to change the scenery. I've always found that if I start to exercise, I really start to watch what I'm eating to fuel that exercise. So far so good....it can be done without a membership! Use what is available to you! :)
  • soccerme8
    Options
    I workout from home b/c of the same reason, but I've been working out at home for about 8 months, I have lost 30 lbs since then. In the summer/fall/spring I walk/hike 4 miles 3-5 days a week, 200 sit ups, leg lifts, arm lifts and exercise ball. But now that it is cold and snowy, I work out in my house, I do youtube video's, 30 Day Shred and Tae Bo are my favorites. I also do my own exercise routines that I make up on the fly, I also jump rope, do my stairs, and jumping jacks, running in place, dancing with my kids and same thing as the 200 sit ups and so on 5-7 days a week. I do cardio for 20-30 minutes b/c my kids are always all over me. Good Luck!!!
  • stephross88
    stephross88 Posts: 846 Member
    Options
    I have never stepped foot in a gym. I lost all my weight at home. I started in March 2012 at 302 pounds. I am now 190 pounds.

Before:

2nbujxv.jpg

2v1l1fp.jpg

Now:

2ci8k2h.jpg

5pawz.jpg
  • derfregal
    derfregal Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    my wife and I dont go to the gym. I dont see the need when you can invest a few bills to some dvd's, an ellipticle, and some running shoes and get great results. By the end of the year you will have spent less that way and gotten as good results. We have lost (in 6 mos) 20+ pounds together doinf JM workout dvds, bike riding, jogging and watching our diet! Save your gym money and buy yourself a set of weights or a good bike! saves time AND money that way! Good luck on your journey!
  • lseed87
    lseed87 Posts: 1,105 Member
    Options
    My college had Zumba for free. Been doing that and have lost about 50 lbs from that, eating right and other simple things like walking more. Perhaps go to walmart and buy some weights or one of those balls to sit on? Many youtube videos have zumba and other such programs. I'm currently doing Julian Michael's 30 day shred from watching it on youtube. DVDs could help if you don't feel like watching it on youtube or can't find certain things.
  • bearwith
    bearwith Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    4 brisk walks a week. Run for part of it if you can to increase weight loss.

Use an old tie to do resistance work like a band.

Put your feet under the sofa and do sit ups.

Hoover every day but do it so fast that you sweat.

Step ups on a stool or the stairs.

Just do anything that makes you sweat or pant but does not hurt your joints.
  • gsdz4me
    gsdz4me Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    The gym won't let me take my dogs with me, but my dogs take me to their gym!
    I have two dogs and I walk them seperately so that means double the walks for me at the moment. I am pleased to see that people have used the simplist and freeist exercise and lost weight. I also do short spells on the push bike which will get longer, just getting one of the dogs used to coming with me. But I sure do enjoy walking the dogs and don't mind if I am the only person along, the dogs are great company, dont moan and listen to all I have to say not to mention they are big dogs so make step out and they sure show their enjoyment of it.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!