Does anyone know? Just want info

Options
Why does the box of pasta give a dry ingredient amout? Why can't it just say 1 cup is so many calories? So my question is (and I feel stupid because I could just go boil 2 oz of it but I'm being lazy) how much is 2 oz of spaghetti when it is cooked. I always use it as a meal where a lot of people are at so I don't know what a serving size looks like when it is cooked. Thanks in advance.

Replies

• kjllose
    kjllose Posts: 948 Member
    Options
    Why does the box of pasta give a dry ingredient amout? Why can't it just say 1 cup is so many calories? So my question is (and I feel stupid because I could just go boil 2 oz of it but I'm being lazy) how much is 2 oz of spaghetti when it is cooked. I always use it as a meal where a lot of people are at so I don't know what a serving size looks like when it is cooked. Thanks in advance.
  • pmkelly409
    pmkelly409 Posts: 1,653 Member
    Options
    I am SOOOOO glad you asked this question!! I struggle with this everytime I make pasta!!!

I have found a few food listings that don't use the dry amount and I have just started measuring out 1 cup of cooked noodles instead! I guess if you had one of those cool scales you could measure out 2oz of dry noodles and go from there, just seems a bit silly!

I am going to be eagerly awaiting the responses to this one, I am curious as to what others do!
  • dhayes
    dhayes Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    I believe that 2 oz dry = 1 cup cooked
  • FitJoani
    FitJoani Posts: 2,173 Member
    Options
    that sounds about right, or heres an idea measure it out put it inb baggies and cook it when you need it!!!:happy:
  • hamilton4beaumont
    hamilton4beaumont Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    i googled that question before and 2 ounces dry does equal 1 cup cooked.
  • kjllose
    kjllose Posts: 948 Member
    Options
    thank you thank you thank you, now I can go back and remove 1 serving! I was feeling bad because I thought I was overeating on it.
  • barracudamuscle
    barracudamuscle Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    i googled that question before and 2 ounces dry does equal 1 cup cooked.

I don't know where we'd be without google and wikipedia these days!, Let me go google it I'll get back to you!

I'm glad you asked this question, I've noticed this but never really put to much thought into it to remember to ask the why, thanks for adding the knowledge base!:drinker:
  • Alisha28
    Alisha28 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    Or unpopped popcorn who eats the kernals. It is more calories as kernal too WHAT
  • kerrilucko
    kerrilucko Posts: 3,852 Member
    Options
    They do it that way because they have to, by law, tell consumers the nutritional information in the product AS IT IS SOLD. some super helpful companies do put both the uncooked and the cooked values but not everyone. frustrating :explode:
  • gottogetfit
    Options
    i dont know if this will help you but in my buisness i cook pasta by huge amounts and i know that it if i cook a 4 lb bag of pasta i end up with 10 lbs cooked so two and a half times the dry wieght. if you use that equation and a serving is 2oz dry then a cooked serving would be 5oz. at least i think so.
  • metco89
    metco89 Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    all this time i have been eating a half cup thinking that was 2 oz. wow no wonder i always thought that isn't very much
  • jamerz3294
    jamerz3294 Posts: 1,824 Member
    Options
    This is like the whole wheat pasta (very yummie btw) that says it has 4 portions, but 7 servings in the box? Huh? :huh:
  • TamTastic
    TamTastic Posts: 19,224 Member
    Options
    I found this a few months ago and it helps a lot! :)

Dry Pasta vs. Cooked Pasta Measurements

8 oz. uncooked small to medium pasta shapes = 4 cups cooked
    Examples: Elbow macaroni, Medium Shells, Rotini, Twists, Spirals, Wagon Wheels, Bow Ties, Mostaccioli, Penne, Ziti, Radiatore, Rigatoni
    8 oz. uncooked long pasta shapes or a 1 1/2-inch diameter bunch = 4 cups cooked
    Examples: Spaghetti, Angel Hair, Linguine, Vermicelli, Fettuccine
    8 oz. uncooked egg noodles = 2 1/2 cups cooked

Yes, so for most.....2 oz dry equals 1 cup cooked.
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Phoenix_Rising Posts: 11,417 Member
    Options
    We just had spaghetti tonight. I roughly figured that 2oz=1 cooked cup, since my box contained 8oz but made about 4 cups cooked. Thank goodness for the 'large' amount when cooked because I find spaghetti really filling and pretty low cal. Of course, it's only filling for about an hour, then I just might be hungry again! Stinkin' pasta and the trap it creates! :laugh:
  • firegirlred
    firegirlred Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    There is a difference in volume between al dente and soggy pasta. So 1 cup of shells cooked al dente will contain more calories than one cup of soggy shells. I think that's the reasoning behind labeling as sold. Differences in cooking methods will cause differences in the final calorie count of a product.
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    There is a difference in volume between al dente and soggy pasta. So 1 cup of shells cooked al dente will contain more calories than one cup of soggy shells. I think that's the reasoning behind labeling as sold. Differences in cooking methods will cause differences in the final calorie count of a product.

Soggy shells contain no calories....cause you throw them out! Bleh. :tongue: :laugh:

If you have a kitchen scale, it's easy to weigh 2oz of pasta...in fact, it's easy to weigh anything. That is the #1 best product I've purchased for clean eating. I just dump 2oz into the scale, then into the boiling water, and voi-la, I get to eat the WHOLE POT. (Very rewarding hehe!)
  • Laynee
    Laynee Posts: 45
    Options
    I researched this same question last week. Found varying answers on the Internet but finally located the National Pasta Association which says 2 oz equals 1 cup cooked pasta so I'm going with that!
  • Fit2btied
    Fit2btied Posts: 486
    Options
    This is like the whole wheat pasta (very yummie btw) that says it has 4 portions, but 7 servings in the box? Huh? :huh:
    :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    hah! wish i found this thread earlier. I actually cooked 2 pots of pasta. One with 2oz in it and the other for the rest of the family. Hubby thought I was nuts! ( of course he was commenting on my small waist at the same time!0

It was elbow mac (ronzoni smart balance) and it was 2oz=1 cup.

oh it was great with pico de gallo...yum

i am finding so many yummy, interesting and healthy ideas since I started my livet.
  • elliott062907
    elliott062907 Posts: 1,508 Member
    Options

Speaking of pasta?? Try Dream Fields