I Feel Terrible...Absolutely Terrible

Options
2»

Replies

• KenosFeoh
    KenosFeoh Posts: 1,837 Member
    Options
    It takes time to change bad habits. It sounds like you need to work out what is eating you because once you do you can find alternatives. I figured out this past September that I had been stuffing myself to the max ON PURPOSE for years because I needed to confront my adult son about his drug abuse. I kept trying not to see what I was seeing. It was so much easier to distract myself by stuffing down food until I was miserable.
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    Open your diary, will make you more accountable. Maybe you need to relax a little more during the week, so you don't freak out on the weekend.
  • kimcalica
    kimcalica Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    well even if it is a troll thread, there are people who do this, and can learn from the posts.
  • Shes1CraftyMama
    Shes1CraftyMama Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    First off, it sounds to me like you don't need a bunch of people telling you what is wrong, how what you did was wrong, how to fix it. You need support! I want to say that it is a good thing that you feel terrible! Why?, because it shows you are changing. I am sure in the past you have done this and not even had a second thought about it. Maybe you felt a little guilty, but not to the point where you feel sad in the deepest part of your soul. I understand this! I have had days where I have 'gone off the deep end' and ended up feeling so down right dirty I didn't even want to see anyone. But you know what?! You Told Us! You announced to a bunch of strangers what you just did. THAT IS A STEP IN THE RIGHT DIRECTION. Take this for what it is. A sign you are improving! You are getting better at identifying the struggles in your life. So, make the best of the rest of today. Take some time to forgive yourself and realize we can't change the past and only move on. Take the positive in this and try to recognize it again when it happens next time. - I am sorry to say, but it most likely will. But next time you will be able to stop it in the middle. Then closer to the beginning the next time, and right before the time after that. It takes baby steps and you just took a huge leap into getting control of food in your life. You are strong and courageous for telling us what happened. And you are gaining strides by noticing. Carry that with you! I have been there - I forgive you! Now, you forgive you and keep going! What an awesome week you had, have another awesome one!
    Blessings and strength to you!
  • sam308lbs
    sam308lbs Posts: 1,939 Member
    Options
    as a first step,Add a picture and introduce yourself in the forums here.Add people and become accountable to them.I was just like you before i started here and there are so many days when i forcefully stop myself from bingeing just cuz i dont want to look like a failure in front of my awesome friendlist
  • eras616
    Options
    I greatly appreciate the support, encouragement, and suggestions that some of you gave me. It means a lot that you guys are sharing what you have learned in your experiences with me.
    I know that there are things I can work on. And I am going to. I am my no means perfect, so I am just going to try to do what I can. It will take time and effort, but I just have to keep remembering that I can do it! I just cannot let a setback make me completely quit.
    We all can do it! Best of luck to all of you in your journey towards healthy lifestyles.
  • TineeLambrini
    TineeLambrini Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Draw a line under it, and move on. I have had problems with binge eating my whole life, and yes, it usually is an emotional issue. Hating yourself for periods of weakness is only going to breed more negative emotions, which in turn can make you want to "eat your feelings". It is a vicious cycle.

Start over again tomorrow, and maybe stop putting so much pressure on yourself. Slow and steady wins the race. Sometimes people exercise excessively and then feel like they deserve a treat - which they do, but only ONE.

Don't let it get you down, and next time you feel like raiding the cupboards, look back at this thread and remember how you felt writing this.

HUGS
  • triathlete5301
    triathlete5301 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Hi,
    I saw somewhere with an analogy that might help you get through this. The idea is that for some reason, we treat mess ups in our diet different than mess ups other places in our lives. Think about this....

If you got into a minor fender bender accident, would you then drive around the rest of the day disobeying all traffic laws????

If you spilled wine on your white shirt, would you then proceed to dump the rest of the bottle all over yourself???? (Would be funny if you did, but we don't do that)

I thought it was a funny way to think about how we sometimes use a mess up to sabotage our diets. You will be fine. Nothing is perfect all of the time, right!
    this is a wonderful way to think about things.

tomorrow is another day. don't make yourself feel guilty about what happened. I know how hard that can be- I'm the same way. Try to figure out what causes you to break, and work on it from there. Maybe you are changing too many things at once. Maybe you are too stressed. Either way, take a deep breath, accept what happened, and try again. Good luck!!!!
  • ashiggins
    ashiggins Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I am astounded by how a few people on these forums act---this is NOT a troll thread.

Anyway, this is my good friend (we've been friends for 5 years and are in medical school together) and she really is having these issues and she is looking for support from people who struggle with the same issues. I appreciate those of you who gave her honest and constructive advice!

Erin--you got this girl. Many of us stuggle with food and it's great to be open about your struggles and to seek some support!
  • Lois_1989
    Lois_1989 Posts: 6,406 Member
    Options
    Well. I can't tell you the root of the problem, but most of what other people have said make sense. But what I do when I really crave something sweet is have sweet fruit, strawberries, orange, peach etc, or when I want something REALLY sweet I have a jar of cocktail cherries in the fridge, the ones that are stored in sugar water, I have one or two of those and it's normally enough to kill the cravings because they are oober sweet. I think the worst thing I've done is eat an entire tub of Ben & Jerry's ice cream. :ohwell: I went to the gym for 2 hours the next day... But I moved on from it, learnt from it and become a stronger person from it. Try not to beat yourself up about it. To quote someone above, "it happens to the best of us".
    :flowerforyou:

Add me if you need a friendly person to vent to! I do it on almost a daily basis, it's helps to say what's bugging you or how your feeling to virtual people than to keep it in and munch out on food.
  • Casin01
    Options
    With out all the hoop la - we all fall down - all is not lost... dust off and ride again! Peace!
  • ebailey710
    ebailey710 Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    Hi,
    I saw somewhere with an analogy that might help you get through this. The idea is that for some reason, we treat mess ups in our diet different than mess ups other places in our lives. Think about this....

If you got into a minor fender bender accident, would you then drive around the rest of the day disobeying all traffic laws????

If you spilled wine on your white shirt, would you then proceed to dump the rest of the bottle all over yourself???? (Would be funny if you did, but we don't do that)

I thought it was a funny way to think about how we sometimes use a mess up to sabotage our diets. You will be fine. Nothing is perfect all of the time, right!

This ^ is a great way to put it.

OP, we've all been there. Forgive yourself, make a commitment to getting rid of junk and replacing with healthier snacks, and move on. There's always tomorrow. Something I read today "about 15 minutes before your meal, eat a teaspoon of honey. This will beat your sugar cravings in a healthy way and not ruin your meal. In fact, every time you get a huge sugar craving, eat a teaspoon of honey and re-evaluate." I tried it today and it worked well enough for a first shot.
  • jkestens63
    jkestens63 Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    I know how you feel, I have gone and binged on junk foods while losing weight more times than I can count. And to some people what you ate was outrageous... but I know its possible and even more.

The biggest thing is don't keep the junk in the house. If you don't buy it you cannot eat it. That doesn't mean you won't binge on other things... like I down peanut butter sandwiches like there is no tomorrow but at least its a start.

If you exercise, eat back your exercise calories. I found that if I don't eat them, after a few days I will binge. Its like my body is craving calories and I will eat whatever junk is available, and it makes it a lot harder to not stop and get fast food or other crap when you hit that craving mode.

Finally, don't give up. When you give up, that is when you truly fail. Start again tomorrow. Remember you might fall down 10 times as long as you get up 10 times, there is hope.

Good luck.
  • kimcalica
    Options
    I am astounded by how a few people on these forums act---this is NOT a troll thread.

Anyway, this is my good friend (we've been friends for 5 years and are in medical school together) and she really is having these issues and she is looking for support from people who struggle with the same issues. I appreciate those of you who gave her honest and constructive advice!

Erin--you got this girl. Many of us stuggle with food and it's great to be open about your struggles and to seek some support!

I don't know how much time you have spent on the forums, or your experiences here, but we have cause to be wary of trolls. it's very unfortunate but they have made the forums a very scary place for most of us. this is my first time back on in over a month because they play vicious jokes and just beat people down and make fun of people's real problems. my apologies to the OP.
  • DaniH826
    DaniH826 Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    I feel like a failure. I feel like I undid all of the work I had done this week.

Ok take a deep breath, then take a step back.

First of all, CONGRATS on the amazing work you did this week!

As to the self-sabotage, here is a suggestion: Don't keep an array of junk food around the house. Pick maybe just one or two items that you like and buy them. Switch them around every week.

Then, prepare yourself some snacks made from those junk foods. Portion them up and allow yourself ONE every day. Log it and be done with it. If you go over your calories, you go over. Better to go over a little every day than 1000 or 2000 once a week. Do the math. THINK.

If you're an emotional eater (like me) then you have GOT to engage your BRAIN and think ahead and plan for these things.

Being successful and achieving your goals involves risk and hard work. It ALSO involves failure, so instead of boo-hooing over every mistake, learn from them. Understand WHY you failed, learn from it, adjust, and keep moving towards your goal. Don't wallow. Wallowing = BAD. Confront what happened, deal with it, and move on.

Bump in the road. It's GOING to happen. It all boils down to how you deal with it when it DOES happen.
  • kimcalica
    Options
    i eat my goodies at restaurants.. like when i feel like something sweet.. i go to a doughnut shop and have one doughnut.. not bring a dozen home.. or i go to baskin robbins and have a sundae, not bring a tub of ice cream home to eat whenever i feel like.. lots of good places, and then you can enjoy living! take in the sights of the world.. people watch, meet a friend!
  • SharleenY
    Options
    I'm friends with the OP in real life (definitely NOT a troll thread) and I know that she's been struggling with this. Erin, you have our 10000% support!

I've been thinking about your post and your weekend and I kind of had a thought: Please take what I say as just an opinion and not, like, a "you have to do this or else! cause i do it!!!" thing. So, you know how I've been trying to eat healthier and make my own meals even though I can barely boil water? It's been super helpful. SparkRecipes has been a lifesaver because the food recipes are REALLY super easy to make. Also, really try to incorporate more veggies and fruits...it'll seriously help with the binge eating (from what I've been experiencing). Our Walmart has these single veggie trays with different veggies or fruit or cheese and a dip (it's all under $2) in the section where they sell the grapes/blueberries/raspberries (next to the meat section). It's been amazing to have that as snacks (or even lunch!) and you just have to open it (no premaking or anything!). Also, if you haven't, the crockpot idea (which I had just started, too) is super helpful! Walmart has a $15 one and Ally's salsa chicken recipe is literally "open the packages and dump it in" (seriously, takes about 2 minutes) and just turn on the machine. And that recipe serves, like, 8! Let me know if you want other recipe suggestions and because I desperately crave sweet stuff, I can give you suggestions for easy to make sweet stuff or brands!

Just know that you're awesome and we're here for you!!!