protein

Options
Are there any guidelines as to how much protein one should eat at each meal and snack? I get to the end of the day and I've already eaten all of my protein, which doesn't leave much for dinner choices. I can't figure out what is happening with me and my protein levels. I feel like I never had this problem before. I recently switched brands of whey protein that I use to make my breakfast. Perhaps that is causing the recent change?

How many grams should be eaten at each meal? And, if you have an tips on LOW protein dinners, let me know. It's hard, because I know I'm also not supposed to eat many carbs later in the day, either, and if I'm out of protein options, what in world can I eat for dinner?!!! I'd love to hear some ideas!!! Thanks!

Replies

• omid990
    omid990 Posts: 785 Member
    Options
    the site generally underestimates daily protein levels. I would say that protein is something that you ca get away with not tightly regulating. I would be more concerned with carbs and especially fat.

The amount of protein you eat each meal completely depends.
    i'm sorry i can't give you straight answer but its really different for each person. what you need to do is play around with the ratios to find one that works for you. I'm using 40/30/30 but that was after talking to a doctor and a trainer.
  • MacMadame
    MacMadame Posts: 1,893 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I changed my protein goals from the default.

Different experts have different opinions on how much you need but the two the I see the most are:

55-65 g a day for menstruating women
    70-90 g a day for people on low calorie diets

There are also formulas based on your weight.

Personally, I aim for 125-150 g a day but I'm highly active and also I've had trouble with my serum protein levels being low and I'm trying to build up my albumin and prealbumin too.
  • skatjon
    skatjon Posts: 29
    Options
    If you work out alot... lift weights, you need about 1g per pound of body weight. Your body can not process more that about 30g per meal so tr to stay in that range or the additional protein will be going to waste.
  • MacMadame
    MacMadame Posts: 1,893 Member
    Options
    Your body can not process more that about 30g per meal so tr to stay in that range or the additional protein will be going to waste.

That's a myth. There are studies where subjects were fed a large bolus of protein and it was all absorbed and no study where they consumed massive amounts of protein and it wasn't absorbed.

It really makes no sense that our bodies, which are designed to get through regular famines) would have a limit on the macronutrients we can consume at any one time. Our bodies are designed to suck every calorie out of the food we eat, in fact.
  • marujita
    marujita Posts: 53
    Options
    Thanks for the help ya'll