visalus vs slim fast?

Options
2»

Replies

• onegoalB
    onegoalB Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I don't necessarily believe in meal replacement with shakes like Vi and Slim Fast. However, I will drink vanilla/chocolate whey protein mixed with water (keeps you leaner than mixing with milk) after a very hard workout. Then I add a couple smaller meals a few hours spaced apart later. Good for your metabolism :)
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    I don't necessarily believe in meal replacement with shakes like Vi and Slim Fast. However, I will drink vanilla/chocolate whey protein mixed with water (keeps you leaner than mixing with milk) after a very hard workout. Then I add a couple smaller meals a few hours spaced apart later. Good for your metabolism :)

How is that good for your metabolism?
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options

And why would milk make you unlean?
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,021 Member
    Options

And why would milk make you unlean?
    Because milk has more viscosity and viscosity ends up just under the skin and if the milk has any fat in it, that also will blanket the viscosity and makes you more less lean, everyone knows that. j/k:smile:
  • onegoalB
    Options
    Consuming protein after lifting is good for stimulating muscle protein synthesis which will in turn help burn fat, and it curbs hunger. Also taking it with milk adds extra protein which could lead to mass gaining which some people are after! Whatever floats your boat.
  • onegoalB
    Options
    I was actually reading the body by Vi package today. I realized that the reason a lot of people want to turn to it because of the small amount of calories you are consuming. I believe it is 90 per serving of two scoops. If you think about it, it shouldn't make sense that this two scoop shake will only provide you with 24% daily value of protein. That's far too less. I don't know, to each his own but even though I am a girl I am a firm believer in protein and weight training. How else do you think fitness models are made?
  • Swethington00
    Options
    I am on Visalus. I started it near the end of September and I am down 41 pounds. I do not replace meals but I eat more sensibly.(Holidays are getting difficult though). I want to be at -50 by January 1st but It may be a week or so after before I hit that mark. I love it! Feel free to add me.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    Consuming protein after lifting is good for stimulating muscle protein synthesis which will in turn help burn fat, and it curbs hunger. Also taking it with milk adds extra protein which could lead to mass gaining which some people are after! Whatever floats your boat.

Huh? One minute you say protein is good then you say the fact milk has protein is not good. Color me confused.

Protein does not burn fat. A calorie deficit does that.

There is also at least a 24 hour absorption window for protein so you can have it whenever in the day.
  • onegoalB
    Options
    No i mean it can be good to take it with milk if you are looking to gain mass! If you're trying to cut it is just best to take it with water. In my opinion. Lol
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    No i mean it can be good to take it with milk if you are looking to gain mass! If you're trying to cut it is just best to take it with water. In my opinion. Lol

If you are at a calorie deficit you will not have a mass gain. A mass gain is about the calories and protein throughout the day as well as strength training. Milk increases the calories but also increases the protein. It depends what fits into your calories and macros.
  • cmcollins001
    cmcollins001 Posts: 3,472 Member
    Options

Adding milk to a protein shake will make you gain mass??? How much milk are you putting in there???
  • onegoalB
    Options
    NO people! i am just saying that if your goal is to gain muscle mass milk would be better than water. If you aren't looking to gain mass, using water is a good way to avoid some cals. unless you want to use milk. It won't make you huge lol
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    NO people! i am just saying that if your goal is to gain muscle mass milk would be better than water. If you aren't looking to gain mass, using water is a good way to avoid some cals. unless you want to use milk. It won't make you huge lol

Adding muscle mass comes from taking in adequate protein at a calorie surplus.

Just singling out milk outside of any other context, is irrelevant here.
  • Bakkasan
    Bakkasan Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    It doesn't matter what you say or how you say it, someone will twist it and spit it back at you.
  • sarahstrezo
    sarahstrezo Posts: 568 Member
    Options

Oh...I see....the extra 8g of protein in the cup of milk is going to make you more bulky than the 24-27g of protein the 1 scoop of whey powder? That makes no sense. And....like Sarah said...it's not the protein that makes you "bulky"
  • robinrsimmons428
    robinrsimmons428 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I have two a day. I have one at breakfast time but then I will eat a light lunch (which snacks in between) then have my second shake around 2. I am usually going to the gym around 4 so it really helps keep my satisfied before I eat dinner. There is no artificial sugars in the shakes like Slim Fast does which can cause a lot of headaches for some. Give it a try for a month and see how you like it. But I still do add a lot of veggies and fruits with lean protein in my diet.
  • emkaz71
    emkaz71 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    It has protein which is satiating. It is cheaper and you get more protein for your calories to just make your own out of whey isolate.
    this. There's no magic shake that makes you lose weight. VIalius is a promoter of low calorie diets...thats why the shake works...because they hardly eat any food. Not necessarily a good thing.

I REALLY wish people would do their OWN research before making comments on something they obviously know nothing about. You never know WHY a person is asking a specific question and it's always best to just say 'I don't know' rather than providing people with one's opinion and passing it off as 'fact.' Not EVERY program works for everyBODY but, isn't it great that we have CHOICES?

You are absolutely correct..there IS no 'magic shake' or 'magic pill'. It takes a COMBINATION of proper nutrition, eating right and exercise. PERIOD. Vi happens to provide one with nutrients that MOST people won't necessarily receive based on their habits and/or lifestyle and can ASSIST in one's ultimate healthy LIFESTYLE goals.

Just FYI...I have been using ViSalus (CORRECT spelling) since April 2012 and I AM a Promoter. As SHOCKING as this may sound...I EAT!! Every 3-4 hours, too! *GASP* And, I've never been overweight and started using Vi simply because I hit a plateau (for almost 2 years) even though I ate healthy and exercised 5-6 days a week (i.e. gym, hiking (40-50 miles/week), bike riding (20 miles/3-4 times a week, etc.) and, I was suffering from EXTREME fatigue and insomnia. Now, even though we make NO medical claims...it DID resolve those issues (and more) for ME. Each person is DIFFERENT.

Bottom Line: If you WANT it...you have to WORK for it! It's all about CHOICE to live a healthy lifestyle. One must WANT to change and do what is necessary to make the ONLY PLACE ONE HAS TO LIVE...the BEST place ever!

It doesn't matter WHAT you do...just DO something!

Much LOVE and POSITIVITY to you all!
  • jenifr818
    jenifr818 Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    Not a scam, I have a family member that uses it and she does quite well

That being said, keep in mind that this is a lifestyle deal. If you use the shakes to slim down, and then after reaching your goal eat like crap, you're going to gain again. Make sure if you choose to use them that you learn proper nutrition so you don't rebound later.

It's not my cup of tea, but to each their own. If they work for you, do it. If you find you like them but they're too expensive, buy a protein powder and make your own. At the end of the day, it's all about a calorie deficit, and if the shakes help you with that, then more power to you. Good luck regardless

Side note: Also, if you decide to promote them, do everyone a favor. Don't turn into a shark that refuses to hear the word "no". Your friends and family will thank you! :wink: