Concerned

Options
Hi Everyone,

It seems like there are quite a few folks out there who are consistantly falling under the minimum of 1,200 calories a day. Some are even staying under 1,000 consistantly. Every now and then it is ok, but everyday or several days in a row is really bad for you (unless told by your doctor due to health concerns/tests), your health, and your brain. I am writing this because I am just worried about the people who stay under 1,200 several days in a row, especially when exercise is thrown in the mix.

I just needed to get this off my chest. I really hope people understand the importance of eatting 1,200 calories.

CHEERS

Replies

• CreativeRedhead
    CreativeRedhead Posts: 2,166
    Options
    No don't be sorry, it's a fact! I'm one of those people of whom you speak. This is my problem, I'm simply not hungry. Most days I eat pretty well and feel full. When I try to force myself to eat those exercise calories, I get sick and have a hard time mentally with it. It's like what am I doing shoveling food into my mouth when I'm not the slightest bit hungry. I appreciate you pointing this issue out and if anyone has any ideas I'd be appreciative of those as well. So thanks Allykat for posting your vent!!!:flowerforyou:
  • StaceG1986
    StaceG1986 Posts: 350
    Options
    I agree! I have a few people on my friend's on here who are regularly doing this, but I just don't know what to say, or if they will even listen to me?!
  • dore0021
    dore0021 Posts: 137
    Options
    I think for a lot of people by the time they realize that they are going to be under 1200, it's after they've had dinner, they are full, and it's too late at night to start eating those extra calories.... That's my problem anyway.
    But I'm not consistently under 1200.
    I was watching bulging brides yesterday on TV and they put this girl on an 800 cal/day diet?!?!? What the heck? Great thing to teach people...
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    I was watching bulging brides yesterday on TV and they put this girl on an 800 cal/day diet?!?!? What the heck? Great thing to teach people...

That is quite low, but it is only for 6 weeks not for a long period of time.
  • Beleau
    Beleau Posts: 143
    Options
    Thank you allykat8 for putting it out there...folks needs to be aware of this

B
  • SisterC
    SisterC Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your concern. I fall into that catagory, but it can be deceiving...sometimes I am one calorie under....which I don't think is bad. If I see that I am going to be more than 50 under, I will grab an apple at the end of the day...the calorie log, to me, is to help me not to go way over....I may not chart the apple because it is the end of the day and I know I need it for the calories it contains. So by monitoring my own calories, I will actually be over my limit; it just won't be charted as I don't put the info in at the end of the day. That is how I work it for me. Maybe others do the same? Just a thought.
  • cmurphy04722
    cmurphy04722 Posts: 254
    Options
    I'm set at 1300 calories a day. If I burn 500 that puts me at 1800 net so if I eat about 1750, it'll say "congrats, you're under!" or something and everyone will tell me I did a great job. The problem lies in the base 1200 with no exercise, in my opinion. Someone can be set at 1200 (a deficit of at least 500 usually) and then eat 1000 calories and still get the "congrats, you're under!" Granted, there'll be that little "you may be under-eating" clause at the bottom of the food diary, but we all congratulate people for being under their calories. Sometimes this is a great thing because so many of us strive to not go over. But sometimes we overdo it and starve our bodies of the nutrition they need by not eating enough...and fooling ourselves into thinking that we're doing great!
  • TonyaR
    TonyaR Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I have a lot of days where I'm just not hungry, but I'm not way below 1200 calories, usually its 50 or less!
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    While I am certainly no expert, I have spent the majority of my life involved in sports/fitness & maintaining "fairly" healthy eating habits. The biggest shock I had coming to this website was how few calories so many people ate. It blew my mind.
  • allykat8
    allykat8 Posts: 237
    Options
    While I am certainly no expert, I have spent the majority of my life involved in sports/fitness & maintaining "fairly" healthy eating habits. The biggest shock I had coming to this website was how few calories so many people ate. It blew my mind.

Yes i agree. MFP is the greatest site, but i think people get to fixed on a NUMBER and losing. It also doesn't help when members congratulate others for eating under their calorie goal of 1200, I see this a lot and it blows my mind!!
  • Hopey1994
    Hopey1994 Posts: 307
    Options

I agree! I was a 1200-er for a couple months and then hit a hard plateau and lost ZERO for 6 weeks. I sought the advice of a personal trainer who put me on an 1800 calorie diet...and I've lost 14 more pounds! Depriving myself for that long was not healthy. And yes I'm eating well now with 4-5 servings of fruits and veggies a day and complex carbs and manage to get my calories. The whole "I just eat really well now and can't eat 1200" doesn't make sense to me.
  • LittleSpy
    LittleSpy Posts: 6,754 Member
    Options
    Someone can be set at 1200 (a deficit of at least 500 usually) and then eat 1000 calories and still get the "congrats, you're under!" Granted, there'll be that little "you may be under-eating" clause at the bottom of the food diary, but we all congratulate people for being under their calories. Sometimes this is a great thing because so many of us strive to not go over. But sometimes we overdo it and starve our bodies of the nutrition they need by not eating enough...and fooling ourselves into thinking that we're doing great!

It doesn't say "CONGRATS" at all!! It's the way people are interpreting it! It says you're "under your calorie goal." That means you FAILED to MEET YOUR GOAL. So, I'm pretty sure it alerts your friends that you're under so that they can encourage you to EAT MORE. People have just completely and utterly missed the point. :ohwell:

Also, to the people who say they're not hungry -- Do you have room for 2 tablespoons of peanut butter & and an 8oz cup of milk? Because that would add 300 calories to your day. And those are healthy calories. No more excuses now, eh? :wink:

Edit: Trust that I've been there. And trust that I screwed the crap out of my metabolism not eating enough for 4 months (I was eating about 1100-1300 cals most days & exercising a lot). And trust that it has taken me 3 months to straighten it all back out again (and I consider myself lucky it only took that long). Now I'm eating 1500-2000 calories most days and still losing weight faster than I was eating 1200 cals a day after my metabolism adjusted itself to cope. While everyone's body may not respond the way mine has to the huge calorie deficits, just know that people are concerned for you for a reason. Not only could your metabolism slow way down, but with eating so little, you could very well not be getting the nutrients your body needs (especially if you're exercising a lot as well) and that could do permanent damage to your body.
  • questionablemethods
    questionablemethods Posts: 2,174 Member
    Options

Yes i agree. MFP is the greatest site, but i think people get to fixed on a NUMBER and losing. It also doesn't help when members congratulate others for eating under their calorie goal of 1200, I see this a lot and it blows my mind!!

I completely and totally agree. People also seem to get fixated on the idea that they can lose 2 lbs/week continually throughout the process. Yes, most advice will say that 1-2 lbs/week is a healthy/realistic rate of loss, but that doesn't take into account how much the person is trying to lose! Someone who is 100 lbs overweight can definitely lose 2 lbs/week. But if I tried to create a 1000 calorie deficit each day?!? DISASTER! Sure, it would be awesome to double my rate of loss, but I know that I would be miserable the entire time and it probably wouldn't work for me. I wish the formulas could be a little more sophisticated regarding what someone's actual goals were.
  • lculian
    lculian Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    No don't be sorry, it's a fact! I'm one of those people of whom you speak. This is my problem, I'm simply not hungry. Most days I eat pretty well and feel full. When I try to force myself to eat those exercise calories, I get sick and have a hard time mentally with it. It's like what am I doing shoveling food into my mouth when I'm not the slightest bit hungry. I appreciate you pointing this issue out and if anyone has any ideas I'd be appreciative of those as well. So thanks Allykat for posting your vent!!!:flowerforyou:
    [/quote
    Try adding small healthy high calorie items earlier in your day. Sprinkle sunflover seeds or nuts on your salad. Use and avacado on your turkey or use vinegar and olivve oil dressings with your salad. There are ways to raise your calories without having to feel like you are stuffing yourself silly. I also punch my exercise in in the morning even if I am not exercising until the evening. It helps me spread out my calories and make sure I'm not too far under. I also recently learned that you should take protein in with in 15-30 minutes of exercising. I bought whey protein shakes that I mix with water for work out days. 100-120 calories and its liquid so it doesn't make me feel too full. I work hard for the muscle tone that I am finally gaining and I don't want to lose it because I'm not providing my body the right nutrients!!

Hopefully this helps:flowerforyou:
  • melville88
    melville88 Posts: 137
    Options
    A few of you on here might know this has been an issue for me and that I have created forum topics about my under-eating. I know you all think it is the worst possible thing to do on a diet. However, I recently went to see my GP about my dizzy spells; I told her that sometimes I ate 500 calories a day and that, if I'm honest, I very very rarely exceed 1000. My GP was so nice about it; the only negative thing she said was that my blood sugar might be low and she asked me if I am eating things from all the food groups- I told her yes but I try to limit fats and carbs (I said I eat carbs more through fruit and veg than pastas rice etc). She told me I am doing so well, commended my weight-loss and said NOTHING about starvation mode, under-eating- zilch (except the blood sugar thing). She was absolutely thrilled about my progress- I hadn't seen her since I began my diet and she insisted on weighing me so she could update my medical file.

Whilst I understand the concerns and appreciate the help and advice that everybody gave me on my forum topics, this made me feel so much better about how I am dietting. I think as long as you are getting a variety of nutrients, vitamins etc, it's fine! Maybe you'll gain weight when you re-increase calories when you hit your target weight, but that can be dealt with.

Also, I'd just like to comically point out that there is a man in India who claims he has not eaten for 70 years- perhaps calorie counting is not all it's cracked up to be afterall! xxx
  • asm2260
    asm2260 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Great Topic for discussion....
    I have been doing a TON of reading these past couple of weeks. I want to know what the heck is going on and why am I NOT losing any weight....I found some articles posted that I think is my situation to a "T".....
    I have about 20-25 lbs to lose, and I am in my 6th week of Insanity and I have actual.gained 2lbs back that I had intitinally lost.....some may say its muscle, I would say NO, I lifted weights 3 days a week (super sets) prior to this new program....

I have had a few people that have looked at my menu that I am not eating enough....I ranged around 1300-1400 cal a day, regardless of my workout.

Well yesturday, I wore my HRM for 24 hours, including an hour workout and It indicates I burned 2,888 cal for the day....I consumed about 1500 cal....that means 1,333 or so, calorie deficit....I believe I have slowed my metabolism way down....its not just the calorie, but lack of sleep too...6 weeks ago I started a midnight shift and rarley sleep more that 6 hours, and never straight....

Through all of the chats and research, I do believe I need to feed my body more, and eating more healthy actually means you end up eating alot more...."LITTLE SPY" has one good solution...that I love, found a Great natural peanutbutter....only peanuts,and salt, slathered on apple wedges, bumps me up 320 cal....and it really is yummy...

I am crossing my fingers and Digging Deeper (thanks shaun T)...and my body will finally realize it is ok, and let go of the extra, it doesnt need...
    Thanks ALL for the motivation!
  • mythicals
    mythicals Posts: 70
    Options
    I agree with you.
    For a while, I was limiting myself to 800 calories a day. I was constantly tired, cold, hit starvation mode and stopped loosing weight.
    1200 should be the bare minimum.
  • themethod
    themethod Posts: 257
    Options
    A few of you on here might know this has been an issue for me and that I have created forum topics about my under-eating. I know you all think it is the worst possible thing to do on a diet. However, I recently went to see my GP about my dizzy spells; I told her that sometimes I ate 500 calories a day and that, if I'm honest, I very very rarely exceed 1000. My GP was so nice about it; the only negative thing she said was that my blood sugar might be low and she asked me if I am eating things from all the food groups- I told her yes but I try to limit fats and carbs (I said I eat carbs more through fruit and veg than pastas rice etc). She told me I am doing so well, commended my weight-loss and said NOTHING about starvation mode, under-eating- zilch (except the blood sugar thing). She was absolutely thrilled about my progress- I hadn't seen her since I began my diet and she insisted on weighing me so she could update my medical file.

Whilst I understand the concerns and appreciate the help and advice that everybody gave me on my forum topics, this made me feel so much better about how I am dietting. I think as long as you are getting a variety of nutrients, vitamins etc, it's fine! Maybe you'll gain weight when you re-increase calories when you hit your target weight, but that can be dealt with.

Also, I'd just like to comically point out that there is a man in India who claims he has not eaten for 70 years- perhaps calorie counting is not all it's cracked up to be afterall! xxx

Saying this as gently as possible, most doctors don't have much training in nutrition and a second opinion from a nutritionist or dietitian, who focuses their entire career on proper eating plans, would probably be more suited to state whether or not eating between 500 - 800 calories a day is appropriate and healthy. Sure, your doctor may see that you've lost a significant amount of weight now, but what about long term effects?

You already know from my previous posts to you that I say this out of concern and not criticism. And that goes for everyone. I used to think to myself I couldn't eat less than 1200 calories a day, then I realized that the side effects of being lightheaded, fatigued, irritable, etc. simply weren't worth it. Now I can't imagine eating less because I feel like absolute crap if my net is too low.
  • melville88
    melville88 Posts: 137
    Options

Saying this as gently as possible, most doctors don't have much training in nutrition and a second opinion from a nutritionist or dietitian, who focuses their entire career on proper eating plans, would probably be more suited to state whether or not eating between 500 - 800 calories a day is appropriate and healthy. Sure, your doctor may see that you've lost a significant amount of weight now, but what about long term effects?

You already know from my previous posts to you that I say this out of concern and not criticism. And that goes for everyone. I used to think to myself I couldn't eat less than 1200 calories a day, then I realized that the side effects of being lightheaded, fatigued, irritable, etc. simply weren't worth it. Now I can't imagine eating less because I feel like absolute crap if my net is too low.
    [/quote]

Yeah I know: I'm having a blood test on Thursday. If that shows any clear reasons for my dizziness then I will follow the results. If not, then I will speak to a nutritionist. xxx
  • themethod
    themethod Posts: 257
    Options

Yeah I know: I'm having a blood test on Thursday. If that shows any clear reasons for my dizziness then I will follow the results. If not, then I will speak to a nutritionist. xxx
    [/quote]

Yay! Happy to hear that you're being proactive. :flowerforyou: