Dumbell sets....starting weight..help! :)

Options
Ok so recently posted a topic about losing that last 10lbs and a lot suggested incorporating some weight training.
I've done research and i know all these programs are out there from nrol and starting strength but i'm wondering is there any other way i can go about this, like i just want to get the feel for lifting and incorporate in with my cardio i guess to lean up a bit as i loose but i just don't know how to go about it....

Are the nerdfitness routines enough or do i need to start myself on one of these programs? ...Also what equipment?
I've been looking at these but I don't know if they are strong enough...
http://www.amazon.co.uk/York-20kg-Cast-Iron-Dumbbell/dp/B004ELB550/ref=sr_1_2?s=sports&ie=UTF8&qid=1359833074&sr=1-2

Help much appreciated.

Replies

• erinsueburns
    erinsueburns Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    The nerdfitness routines are enough to get started. You'll feel when they get too easy and you can start adding extra body weight exercises like glute ham raises (my personal nemesis), glute bridges, shoulders elevated glute bridges, more pushups, one legged calf raises. But eventually you are going to need to add weights.

But the benefit of getting strong enough to do these body weight exercises is you can go ahead and skip purchasing lighter weights. I've been going to a store that has weights for sale and kind of doing some exercises to see what sized weights I'm going to end up needing to buy. I was thinking I'd start with 10 or 15 lb weights, but that looks like it won't be enough now. YMMV so try before you buy seems to be the best advice I can give.
  • balancedbrunette
    balancedbrunette Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the advice guess ill keep going with the nerdfitness for now until it starts to get easy and my body needs a change up.

What about the 20kg dumbells...anyones opinion, are these too light?
  • bubbli71
    Options
    Do you actually know how much you can lift and complete 3 or 4 sets of each exercise?
    Why do you think that 20kg dumbells are too light?
    I lift all the time and have a very strenuous routine and I can tell you right now I cannot lift a 20kg dumbell.
    I would choose a basic sample routine, get into a gym and try out the different dumbells and complete the routine with proper form (this is very important) and see how you go.
    Depends also if you are male or female.
    If you are not currently working with weights, and dont know really where to start, I think the 20kg dumbells will kill you and the next day and day after you wont be able to move.
    Theres also a great potential for injury.
    Always start of easy when using weights...until you get a feel for it and your body strength increases.
    I hope that helps, although I've probably confused you even more :D
  • Ecce_Signum
    Ecce_Signum Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    One set of dumbbells is not enough to do a full set of routines.

Just a thought but have you looked at resistance bands? I got a set with 3 months free membership at liveexercise.com and think they are a great way to work out.

Some people say resistance bands don't work but I can get a good work out with them (and easier to carry 5 bands than 40k in weights lol).
  • SmartAlec03211988
    SmartAlec03211988 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options
    20kg for a beginner sounds like way too much.

10kg, now that's a good starting point. Heavy, but not TOO heavy.
  • SmileyFaceGuy
    Options
    What about the 20kg dumbells...anyones opinion, are these too light?

Absolutely not. I guarantee you will not be able to use 20kg. You'll probably find yourself using <10kg to begin.
  • balancedbrunette
    Options
    Do you actually know how much you can lift and complete 3 or 4 sets of each exercise?
    Why do you think that 20kg dumbells are too light?
    I lift all the time and have a very strenuous routine and I can tell you right now I cannot lift a 20kg dumbell.
    I would choose a basic sample routine, get into a gym and try out the different dumbells and complete the routine with proper form (this is very important) and see how you go.
    Depends also if you are male or female.
    If you are not currently working with weights, and dont know really where to start, I think the 20kg dumbells will kill you and the next day and day after you wont be able to move.
    Theres also a great potential for injury.
    Always start of easy when using weights...until you get a feel for it and your body strength increases.
    I hope that helps, although I've probably confused you even more :D

Sorry for the confusion I don't think they are too light i'm clueless actually when it comes to weights and lifting as this post have most likely showing now, i'm female and 20 years old by the way so would want to be starting off light proberly couldn';t manage 10kg nevermind 20 by what some people are saying :P..only thing is i had read so many posts by people stressing lift heavy so i was wondering what exactly i should start on...and you havent confused me more what you said actually makes sense thanks :)
    And thanks everyone else for the advice much appreciated.
  • SmileyFaceGuy
    Options
    only thing is i had read so many posts by people stressing lift heavy so i was wondering what exactly i should start on...

Well, "heavy" is subjective. To "lift heavy" basically just means to lift something that is heavy to you; something that will kick your *kitten*. Of course, for safety reasons you'll want to learn proper form before you challenge yourself too much, though.
  • balancedbrunette
    Options
    only thing is i had read so many posts by people stressing lift heavy so i was wondering what exactly i should start on...

Well, "heavy" is subjective. To "lift heavy" basically just means to lift something that is heavy to you; something that will kick your *kitten*. Of course, for safety reasons you'll want to learn proper form before you challenge yourself too much, though.

Makes sense thanks!
  • phangirl8
    phangirl8 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    They look fine to me, they aren't fixed weight dumbbells so you can remove plates to adjust to a lighter weight you can lift initially and then add plates to increase the weight as you get stronger. If you want to add more weight later on you can always purchase additional plates. :smile:

I started off with similar dumbbells except mine have vinyl plates (Wooden floors in my house and don't want to piss my neighbours off!) and I just increased the weight as I progressed, I was shocked with how fast I gained strength actually considering I had never lifted anything before and I'm ready to buy some heavier plates now to add for certain exercises. I think they're pretty versatile and can be adjusted depending on what lifts you're doing.

Do make sure you watch some tutorial videos before you start though to ensure that you learn proper form. I'm a complete noob so I practiced the moves without weights until I was sure I could do it correctly so that I didn't horrifically injure myself! :laugh:
  • balancedbrunette
    Options
    They look fine to me, they aren't fixed weight dumbbells so you can remove plates to adjust to a lighter weight you can lift initially and then add plates to increase the weight as you get stronger. If you want to add more weight later on you can always purchase additional plates. :smile:

I started off with similar dumbbells except mine have vinyl plates (Wooden floors in my house and don't want to piss my neighbours off!) and I just increased the weight as I progressed, I was shocked with how fast I gained strength actually considering I had never lifted anything before and I'm ready to buy some heavier plates now to add for certain exercises. I think they're pretty versatile and can be adjusted depending on what lifts you're doing.

Do make sure you watch some tutorial videos before you start though to ensure that you learn proper form. I'm a complete noob so I practiced the moves without weights until I was sure I could do it correctly so that I didn't horrifically injure myself! :laugh:

Thanks for the advice, actually didnt even think of changing the plates, also it sounds smart to practice haha going to watch some videos before I start. :)