The Wii System

Options
We got my son a Wii game system for Christmas. We ordered it on eBay because we could not find one in town. It came on Wed. We waited until the kids went to bed and we set it up just to make sure it worked. 2 hours later we were sweating like crazy, breathing hard. We played tennis and what a workout.
They need a cal burn with this system. It is a great form of exercise.
We sound like bad parents using the kids gift. But, we had to make sure that the unit worked before Christmas. If your kids have one or you know someone who has one, give it a try.

Replies

• icandoit
    icandoit Posts: 4,163 Member
    Options
    We got my son a Wii game system for Christmas. We ordered it on eBay because we could not find one in town. It came on Wed. We waited until the kids went to bed and we set it up just to make sure it worked. 2 hours later we were sweating like crazy, breathing hard. We played tennis and what a workout.
    They need a cal burn with this system. It is a great form of exercise.
    We sound like bad parents using the kids gift. But, we had to make sure that the unit worked before Christmas. If your kids have one or you know someone who has one, give it a try.
  • Razboo
    Razboo Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    I used one last year a friend got for Christmas. It was quite a workout! I'd be surprised if there weren't game-specific calorie-burned charts around by now. Tennis burns X-calories per match, Boxing burns Y-calories, etc... If there isn't, then there should be! :laugh:
  • icandoit
    Options
    My husband played the boxing game. It was soooo funny. He was so sweaty after. I can't wait to try more of the games. We are getting the guitar hero today. I think I want to get the dance pad. I heard that is a very fast moving game. Great for those days when you don't feel like the gym
  • tessa681
    tessa681 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    :tongue: Cant wait to get my Wii in March!! Everyone I know plays it and says the same thing, great workout! About time there was a FUN workout!!!
  • yoginimary
    yoginimary Posts: 6,786 Member
    Options
    There is also a rumor that the Wii will have something called Wii Fit in January - some sort of exercise program.
    I think the problem with calorie expenditure, is that everyone plays differently. When I box, I move around on the floor, though the Wii doesn't know this, but I've seen some people just move their arms. Same goes for Tennis.
  • icandoit
    Options
    When we were playing tennis, we were moving all over. We had to move a chair and the couch back. We were running in to each other. It was a riot. I am glad we had the front curtain closed. With the bowling we were taking steps and swinging our arms. With the boxing, my husband was punching like he does on the bags when he is at Muay Thai. I think if you really get into it, it is a great work out. Make sure to wear the wrist bands. I almost lost mine into the TV.
  • icandoit
    Options
    OK, I found a site that is about the wii and calorie burning. I am so excited!!!!! I will be playing this a lot after my son opens it on Christmas.

Rocky-inspired Philadelphian hey_suburbia decided to put Wii Sports to the diet test back in early December. The idea was to see if the game could help him shed unwanted pounds when played with full, exaggerated movements. He continued his normal activity and eating habits only adding 30 minutes of Wii Sports to his daily routine. The results after six weeks? He lost 9 pounds.

He writes: "According to The American Council on Exercise, I went from being in the 'acceptable' category to being in the 'fitness' category... I lost almost 2% of my body fat by doing nothing more than playing [motion] video games for an extra 30 minutes everyday."

In terms of which games produced the greatest amount of weight loss, Wii Boxing burned an impressive 125 calories/half hour followed by Tennis at 92 calories/half hour and Bowling at 77 calories/half hour. A lot of husky kids just got some powerful ammunition in convincing mom to buy them a Wii.
  • Paeonia
    Paeonia Posts: 161
    Options
    If you guys want a fun workout, get Dance Dance Revolution: Hottest Party. When I don't feel like doing the treadmill, I use the fitness option in DDR. Basically, you can choose a set of songs to workout to and a goal (amount of calories you want to burn, or amount of time you want to spend working out), and it'll keep going til you reach that goal. There are gimicky hand controls you can use with the nunchuk, but I turn that option off and use a set of light weights instead to make it more of a total body thing. Anyways, lots of fun IMO :) My husband hates it though, he can't get the hang of matching the rhythm to the foot motions. I love it though, an hour flies by!
  • Healthier_Me
    Healthier_Me Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    I want Wii, I want Wii!!!!
    That sounds like tons of fun.
    It's going on my wishlist :bigsmile:
  • katiechakos
    katiechakos Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    Oh my goodness, they are so fun! My husband works in the video game industry so we have every game system under the sun. I usually don't like any of them, but I love the Wii. There's a game, I can't remember what it's called, I think it's Wii Boogie or something like that. There are dance moves you hvae to do and tons of fun things to imitate on there. For sure get that one. Be sure to use the safety straps, though! My brother was playing bowling with me and he got a little too ambitious and threw the controller in the air! :laugh:
  • Eve23
    Eve23 Posts: 2,352 Member
    Options
    HMMMMM this is great I always wondered about these. I have a 12 year old who loves games but I took his away. He would do nothing but sit in front of it. So maybe this will give him something. What kind do they have that boys like. You know racing, football, wrestling that sort of thing?

Eve
  • icandoit
    Options
    HMMMMM this is great I always wondered about these. I have a 12 year old who loves games but I took his away. He would do nothing but sit in front of it. So maybe this will give him something. What kind do they have that boys like. You know racing, football, wrestling that sort of thing?

Eve

They have a ton of sport ones, action ones. Go on line an check it out. WE are getting the guitar hero one. It is on it's way. I think we will have to try that one before my son does.
  • katiechakos
    katiechakos Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    icandoit, I have the guitar hero too and it's a riot! You'll love it!!! There's another new one coming out called Rock Band. It's supposed to be really fun, too. Guitar Hero is so fun, though!
  • icandoit
    Options
    icandoit, I have the guitar hero too and it's a riot! You'll love it!!! There's another new one coming out called Rock Band. It's supposed to be really fun, too. Guitar Hero is so fun, though!

I really think that this system is the best. It is good exercise and a great bonding game for the family. I will look into the Rock Band one. I can't wait for Christmas. I think we will be playing this all night.
  • kistinbee
    kistinbee Posts: 3,688 Member
    Options
    How much are these Wii systems going for? I've thought about buying one but wasn't sure if they really work well and didn't know how much they cost. So, how much is the system? And how much are the games?
  • icandoit
    Options
    walmart is $249
    We paid $475 and got the Wii sport package and the guitar hero. We got it on ebay. Allover town on on line was sold out in ca
  • kistinbee
    kistinbee Posts: 3,688 Member
    Options
    Thanks! I'm going to check it out and see if we have it around here. (Iowa). It sounds like a lot of fun and my husband loves his video games (it's better if it gets you moving around!!)
    Thanks again icandoit!
    *kistinbee*
  • kristie874
    kristie874 Posts: 774 Member
    Options
    My friend just told me about a Wii balance board thing that they're coming out with to do yoga with the Wii! This is awesome! I want one!!! Check it out! http://e3nin.nintendo.com/wii_fit.html
  • breddell
    Options
    I am so excited...after we bought our son one for Christmas, a body builder friend of my husbands said the same thing. I can't wait!!

a little off subject:
    katiechakos - your tatoos are really cute...mind me asking what they are? (i love tats)
  • rehagen01
    Options
    My sister has a Wii system and it is so fun. The best thing is the Wii Sports Boxing! You have to move and get into the movement with your whole body. Great for some whole body workouts and some good sweat time!