Potassium-Rich Foods (Other than bananas)

Options
Do you know of potassium-rich foods that are not calorie/sugar dense? Alternatives I found are leafy greens, but I would have to eat 30 servings of romaine lettuce to get the equivalent of one banana. "Ain't Nobody Got Time Fo' Dat!"

According to MFP food diary I am consistently lacking in potassium and blowing through my sugar limit. I added bananas to my diet but because they are so calorie dense and full of sugar I still am unable to meet my potassium requirements, have gone over in daily calorie limits and am concerned about my blood sugar levels. I am considered "pre-diabetic" and want to avoid sugars where I can. I also cramp up when doing any activity, even when properly warming up.

THANKS!

Replies

• stromnessdundee
    stromnessdundee Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    www.healthaliciousness.com/articles/food-sources-of-potassium.php

Mushrooms, white beans etc. I am always way under too.
  • FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    Coconut milk, cows milk, almond milk, pork, raisins, apricots, apples, cocoa powder, molasses, tomatoes, potatoes, squash, sweet potato....there are lots.
    There are many threads on here if you do a search.
  • ArtGeek22
    ArtGeek22 Posts: 1,429 Member
    Options
    White beans
    Spinach
    Mushrooms
    Avocado (322 calories for 1/2 cup mashed)
    Raisins
    Lima beans
    Winter squash
    Broccoli
    Brussel Sprouts
    Chard
    Peppers
    Cauliflower
    Cabbage
    Collards
    Kale
    Turnip
    Tomato
    Sweet Potato

As you can see, veggies are great source of potassium. Hope I helped :flowerforyou:
  • FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    White beans
    Spinach
    Mushrooms
    Avocado (322 calories for 1/2 cup mashed)
    Raisins
    Lima beans
    Winter squash
    Broccoli
    Brussel Sprouts
    Chard
    Peppers
    Cauliflower
    Cabbage
    Collards
    Kale
    Turnip
    Tomato
    Sweet Potato

As you can see, veggies are great source of potassium. Hope I helped :flowerforyou:
    I agree. But beef and pork are higher. :wink:
    The best low cal source I've found is coconut milk/water.
  • IkirPaulson
    IkirPaulson Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    These are all fantastic suggestions. Thank you!
  • dsjr2006
    Options
    Scroll about 3/4'ths of the way down

http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?dbid=90&tname=nutrient
  • hgycta
    hgycta Posts: 3,013 Member
    Options
    Try an 8 oz serving of low sodium V8! It's only 50 calories, is relatively low in sodium (140mg), and get this - it has more potassium than regular v8 (it has 820mg)! Not too shabby at all, not to mention all the other vitamins it contains. :) The individual cans can get costly, so I try to buy two large bottles of it and measure out 8 ounces myself; I try to drink a serving of it everyday.
  • kapoorpk
    kapoorpk Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    Most green vegetables, nuts and sweet potatoes have the highest potassium.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    ...According to MFP food diary I am consistently lacking in potassium and blowing through my sugar limit...
    FWIW, you're probably getting more potassium than your MFP diary reflects. Potassium isn't one of the nutrients that's required to be listed on food labels, and in fact isn't listed on many. When people create items in the food database, potassium is usually left blank. So you're probably getting more than you think - it just wasn't listed on the label, so whoever created the food item didn't list it in the database entry.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    ...According to MFP food diary I am consistently lacking in potassium and blowing through my sugar limit...
    FWIW, you're probably getting more potassium than your MFP diary reflects. Potassium isn't one of the nutrients that's required to be listed on food labels, and in fact isn't listed on many. When people create items in the food database, potassium is usually left blank. So you're probably getting more than you think - it just wasn't listed on the label, so whoever created the food item didn't list it in the database entry.
    ^This

My big contributors are milk, eggs, coffee, spinach, lentils, sweet potatoes, squash, and no-salt (potassium salt substitute).
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    this bothered me when i signed up to mfp as well. know that many foods containing potassium don't have the amounts listed in their mfp database. so you're getting more than you think. probably a lot more
  • rainydaze613
    rainydaze613 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Not exactly a food, but chamomile tea has a significant amount of potassium. I like to have one right before bed- it's naturally caffeine free, and has a lot of other benefits.