To chuck or not to chuck..?

Options
2»

Replies

• sbilyeu75
    sbilyeu75 Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    When I was struggling with deciding whether or not to donate my fat clothes, I came across this article and decided, without a doubt, to DONATE!

Dr. Oz’s 10 Weight-Loss Commandments

With our country’s obesity epidemic reaching biblical proportions, it’s time to commit to 10 easy and basic rules for losing weight and keeping it off.

1. Thou Shalt Not Wear Pants that Stretch

Your clothing is an early-warning system for weight gain. When it’s getting hard to snap your jeans, you know it’s time to be vigilant. Wearing stretchy clothes allows you to live in ignorance of how your body is growing, making it easier to pack on pounds without knowing it.

2. Thou Shalt Not Keep Bad Clothes in Your Closet

When you keep the clothes you wore at an unhealthy weight, it gives you a back-up plan if the pounds don’t come off. Instead, force yourself to stay on track by 86ing your “fat pants.”

3. Thou Shalt Not Eat Meat That Walks on Four Legs More Than Once a Week

Meat that comes from an animal with 4 legs is higher in saturated fat (the unhealthy kind) than that which comes from 2-legged animals such as chickens, or animals with no legs, like fish. Plus: women who eat large amounts of red meat more than once a week have a 50% higher chance of dying from heart disease and have higher cancer rates.

4. Thou Shalt Not Graze

Plan your meal before you open the refrigerator, get what you need, and close the door. Opening it throughout the day leads to impulsive choices and overeating.

5. Thou Shalt Not Eat After 7:30pm

When you eat late at night you are more likely to be eating in front of the TV (when you won’t pay attention to how much you’re putting in your mouth) and you’re more likely to pick high-calorie snacks.

6. Thou Shalt Not Pile Food More than 1 Inch High or Within 2 Inches of the Plate Edge

Larger portions equal more calories. ‘Nuff said.

7. Thou Shalt Not Chew Food Less than 20 Times Per Bite

Chewing allows your body to realize that you are eating food, prompting it to create a sensation of fullness at the appropriate time. When you don’t chew enough, you get ahead of that process, eating well past when you are actually satisfied.

8. Thou Shalt Not Covet Thy Neighbor’s Plate

Spend your day nibbling bites on someone else’s sandwich or afternoon snack, and you will add on 1,000 calories easy.

9. Thou Shalt Not Carry Small Bills

Nothing loves a small bill better than a vending machine. When you have them at the ready, you are one step closer to an impulsive, calorie-loaded afternoon slip up.

10. Thou Shalt Not Eat While Standing Up

Eating sitting down enables you to be aware of what you’re eating and eat it slowly so that your body can tell you your full before it’s too late.

LAWDY! I have enough problems with the original 10 Commandments.
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    I say donate them! By getting rid of your "big" clothes you won't be able to have something to fall back on. And if your new size starts getting tight its an indicator to get back on track. Enjoy your new size and say goodbye to the old you!

This!! This was my philosophy and I've stayed on track the whole time I've been on this lifestyle change... I haven't gone down a pants size yet, despite being 19 lbs. lighter but there are some things that were in my closet I had to rid myself of. Plus, more room for the smaller clothes once they fit!!
  • Manuka
    Manuka Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Wow! Thanks everyone! I really know I need to chuck my old clothes. I think I'll try a few of your suggestions, I'll chuck the bulk, keep 1 pair of jeans to keep me motivated and try to get a couple of skirts I totally love altered - maybe save that until I'm at my goal weight! Thanks for the encouragement everyone!
  • 00trayn
    00trayn Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    I definitely agree with the consignment shop. I stopped into one a few weeks ago near me that I geared towards teens and 20's. I didn't have any clothes to bring in, but I tried on some jeans a size smaller than what I was wearing and they're quite cheap. I'll be going back there at some point to actually buy clothes and hopefully bring some of mine that don't fit any more in. There was no better feeling than this weekend when I went shopping for jeans and tried on a pair of size 14 ankle (I'm a shorty...) in The Gap and they fit PERFECTLY! They were $60 jeans, but well worth it since that's my only pair that fits now. Just think of funding things like that from consignment store clothes :)
  • popplylily
    popplylily Posts: 97
    Options
    keep a selection so you dont feel horride if you fluctuate a teeny bit and get scared , it makes it a biggerdeal when you have nothing to wear, i keep 10's and 12's and a couple of 14's. chucked the rest out
  • Behavior_Modification
    Behavior_Modification Posts: 24,482 Member
    Options
    I say sell them...why not make some $ to splurge on new clothes!
  • Manuka
    Manuka Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    So, I've just made a really decent sized pile of clothes to get rid of, it feels good! One thing to be thankful for is that I 'hoarded' my smaller clothes from about 18 months ago when I lost weight before, so I've still got a rather full wardrobe of beautiful clothes to wear (until I need a chuck out session again!).
  • losingweightfor30
    losingweightfor30 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Chuck --- if you leave them around it allows you to believe that the pounds you lost can be gained... because you have the clothes and can fit back in them. If they are gone, it forces you to maintain your weight because who wants to buy larger clothes?? I'm looking forward to chucking mine!