Juicing.....

Options
Hello all,

Anyone into juicing or currently on a juice fast? Need support and help thru this. I had some concerns about muscle loss and lack of balanced diet so I have modified the diet to be more realistic for long term. I've done alot of research but I am no Nutritionist. Anyone doing the same or and recommendations for me? I started juicing about 2 weeks ago but the official start for the fast was Feb !st. I am juicing all day but adding small meals for breakfast and lunch which consists of either whole veggies cooked, salads, and lean protein. Anyone want to join of can offer some support I would absolutely appreciate it and good luck with all your endeveors.

Replies

• cwyneken
    cwyneken Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I'm juicing, but not fasting. How long is your fast? Are you using any book or program to guide you? I only have one juice drink per day because I need to consume fiber (I am almost 50:). My favorite are the green drinks and I use them as an energy boost in the late afternoon. Kale, celery, apples, lemon, ginger, and cucumber - yum! The fruit adds a fair # of calories though. Good luck with all your goals!
  • ChrisC_77
    ChrisC_77 Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    My wife and I were actually looking into getting a juicer. But have not done it yet. Personally, I think the micro nutrient packed juice from juicing would just sent me to the moon. I have enough energy as it is. :)
  • Sydney716
    Sydney716 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I enjoy drinking juice as well. Me and my husband drink it each morning (and sometimes in the evenings) to increase our fruit and veggie intake. I use spinach/kale/carrots/carrot juice for the base (usually 50-60% of the volume or 5-6 cups)...then i add frozen strawberries, bananas, apples, frozen peaches or whatever fruit i have to make the other 40-50%. Our blender makes 10 cups total. We prefer to leave the pulp in for more fiber and overall nutritional value. It is delicious and filling! Good luck with your juicing adventures :)
  • Yvette3136
    Options
    thanks for your reply,

I am not using a particular book, i stole a bunch of different menus from juice bars for ideas. I am definitely worried about lack of fiber, protein etc so I do consume some of the pulp and I add small portions of food for breakfast and either lunch or dinner. I am doing this modified diet I would call it for atleast the month of February. I hope to incorporate this into my lifestyle for the long run. I have lots of energy for the most part but I will say some days are harder than others. So this is my second official day ( I spent the last week and a half cutting down fatty foods alcohol etc so I feel like this is my second week) and I am looking forward to updating with my results
  • Yvette3136
    Options
    I would eventually like to get to the point that I can juice just for breakfast to kick start my day and keep the habits of eating raw, organic, etc. But for now its extreme till i achieve my goal, then maintenence
  • CaitErin1101
    CaitErin1101 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I used to juice all the time but have taken a break from it now. I suggest using Spirulina to get your protein. It's more digestible than most other forms of protein! http://www.nuts.com/cookingbaking/powders/spirulina/premium.html?gclid=CIrmgNqFmbUCFcyiPAodDnUAWw
  • Yvette3136
    Options
    Thanks a lot! I actually purchased a couple of packets for after the gym. I hear after a workout is best to load up on protein but it has to be the proper type of protein
  • elrob87
    Options
    I have a juicer I would try to add kale or spinach it made my hair shine . But fruit is also sugar
  • DaniH826
    DaniH826 Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    I've been juicing fairly regularly for about 1-1/2 years now. Some weeks I don't juice at all, other weeks I juice several times. It all depends. I love it. Great way to get your fruits and veggies. I mostly juice apples, carrots, red beets, lemons and ginger. When I add greens it's kale, spinach, celery or cucumber. Those are the staples and I hardly deviate. In the summer I'll run an entire watermelon (minus the rind of course) through the juicer and drink that diluted with water. So yummy, so refreshing, and a great way to hydrate.

Juicing is also a great way to use up leftover fruits and vegetables that are right at that point of going south if you don't use them NOW.

I'm not religious about juicing but I really do enjoy it. It's one more healthful thing added to my diet and a fabulous way to get micronutrients into my system.

We bought a juicer after watching "Sick, Fat and Nearly Dead" (like thousands of other people, I'm sure, but hey, we all get our inspirations from somebody, right?) That got my butt in gear to do something about the sad, sad, pathetic lack of fresh fruits and veggies in my diet at the time. I never did a full reboot so I wouldn't know, but good on you for attempting it.

I also do enjoy smoothies very much. Yet another great way to add fruit to my diet (especially those I can't run through a juicer like bananas, berries, etc).

Since I started juicing I don't buy juices anymore other than organic orange juice. No need to, and my version is SO much better (AND cheaper than commercial bottled raw juice).

Welcome, and you can add me to your friends list if you'd like. Always great to see a fellow juicer around. :smile:
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    Read the title...thought steroids...read thread...disappointed.