Stuggling with cravings:-(

Options
:sad: . Iv been using mfp for three weeks and its been great but how can i overcome my cravings? i wana loose 8pounds

Replies

• Addictedtosuccess
    Options
    I think it is an eternal struggle we all face. Drink lots of water when it hits you.
  • HardeesGal
    Options
    Sometimes its very hard to overcome cravings. I usually just try to stay busy at night when they hit. Take a bath or drink lots of water. Or brush ur teeth cause u dont wanna eat with clean pretty teeth. Lol. Hope that helps. Sometimes though if u r having really bad cravings u need to eat a little of that item or it wont go away.
  • jmounce1
    jmounce1 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    That is true drink lots of water. :smile:

35551596.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods
  • underwater77
    underwater77 Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    Drink water

Wait 15 minutes
  • kbitzonefour
    kbitzonefour Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I just eat what I want and figure it into my daily caloric intake. The more non-crappy choices you make in the beginning, the more easy it will become to not even desire them anymore.
  • jmanrique85
    jmanrique85 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    i totally understand... :( my cravings go towards overloading on almonds or peanut butter :( but im trying to drink more water and get full before i fall into my craving trap... try drinking more water to distract your mind
  • Jemmuno
    Jemmuno Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    Drinking water is a good Idea, and I like to have sweet potato and carrot fries with either a large veggie soup or salad. This meal is very filling to me and its relatively low cal.
  • Alexandria1213
    Alexandria1213 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    I always think in moderation craving can be okay. For instance, I crave chocolate all the time; rather than having a candy bar I will have two Hershey kisses
  • whecollier
    Options
    I am with you on the craving, they come out of nowhere! Something that works for me, water with sugar free gum. Usually passes the craving so I can move on with my day! Good Luck!
  • cominupmilhouse
    cominupmilhouse Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    Do you buy your own groceries? If you don't buy the bad foods that you crave, it's 1000% easier to stay on track! And I notice those foods aren't in the back of my mind all the time anymore. If teyre not in my house I don't even think about them. If they ARE in my house, I can't stop thinking about them!

Good luck
  • sigsby
    sigsby Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    Fight it as best you can. Eventually it gets easier.
  • ThinnieAtHeart
    Options
    Hi hi, I know the struggle. Its so hard. Drinking tons of water helps. Also, drinking zero calorie green tea helps! Any kind of green tea. It doesn't have to be zero calorie, but its nice. Hope this helps! Be sure to add me!
  • notyourpalbuddy
    Options
    Drink water or some nice hot tea. I'm a sucker for white tea and chai.

Sometimes cravings are our body's way of telling us we need some sort of nutrient. Before starting mfp I craved milk, cheese, ice cream late at night. After tracking I noticed I was waaaaay under on my protein consumption and upping my protein has gotten rid of those late night cravings.
  • mlima14
    mlima14 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I eat lettuce with no dressing and since its only about 8 calories per cup I don't feel like I'm breaking my calorie intake, plus I love the crunch =)
  • elyelyse
    elyelyse Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options
    without an open diary it's hard to say, but for me, i find that my cravings are reduced when i get all the nutrition i need from what i eat. If i have a meal or snack that is low in protein and has very little fat, and is high in sugar/carbs... then even though i've had a few hundred calories, i'm still hungry. If I don't eat enough vegetables of various colors and get lots of vitamins that my body needs, then I am hungry, and i'm not going to feel the difference between "i need vitamins" and "i need chocolate!" This has been KEY to my weight loss. I very rarely have uncontrollable cravings anymore, and when i do have cravings, they are usually easily satisfied with the right kind of snack. That isn't to say i never need chocolate, or that I never indulge in empty calories, it's just much easier to control how often, and how much.

You may want to keep track of when you have cravings, and for what, and put it in the notes part of your food log. Then you can look back and see, oh, do you have more cravings on days when you haven't had enough protein? or do you have cravings when you have something high sugar/carb earlier in the day? Look for patterns.
  • LokiOfAsgard
    LokiOfAsgard Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    If you're REALLY craving it. Let yourself have a small bit of it. Indulge and savor that small. Trying to avoid it usually only ends up you eating everything else except that. That's what I do :)
    You just have to remember not to have too much, only a little. The first bite always tastes the best anyway
  • sarabeth120
    sarabeth120 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I chew gum and that helps with the cravings. Though, sometimes I eat some fruit (if I'm craving something sweet), eat a serving of cashews/peanuts (if I'm craving something salty; they're high in calories and fat, but they are really good for you!) or I snack on Skinny Cow chocolate product if I'm craving chocolate.

It's okay to indulge as long as you don't overdo it!

I suggest that you eat a little bit of what you're craving. Measure out exactly one serving then eat it slowly (so you can enjoy it more) and then pop some gum in your mouth. That's what I do if eating a little bit doesn't make the craving go away. :)
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    Someone posted this once. I dno if it's true but here it goes...
    food-craving.jpg
  • daydream_believer
    Options
    allow yourself a day every week where you allow yourself to enjoy a treat you are craving, however still log them, and keep under your alotted maintenance calories. it will spike your metabolism and keep you satisfied :)
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,708 Member
    Options
    Best way to beat cravings IMO, is to eat/drink them in moderation. Almost everyone that fails on weight loss is because they eventually gave in to their cravings. That's 90% of the people who have went on a diet (usually with abstinence from foods they liked).
    You don't have to stop eating what you like. You just need to learn how not to over consume calories.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition