How to handle the Girl Scouts...

Options
Is it that time of year where YOU live? Adorable girls selling those evil boxes of deliciousness? Co-workers you can't turn down? I'm in maintenance and fully support "everything in moderation," but last night's episode with the Thin Mints reminded me that I can't have them in the house.

At the heart of my problem? I brought them in the house. Over the years, I've developed a strategy, because I really DO want to support the girls who work so hard for this great organization. So simple: GIVE THEM AWAY. My church is always looking for cookies. At work? Leave them for the break room, or give to a co-worker with kids. Food banks are a great place to donate them as well. Send to a soldier. Sometimes even the seller will be able to keep them and pass them on. If the girls come to the house - put them right in car trunk! (Which is where I should have left mine so they could go to church this morning!)

Serving size bags would have been a good idea, too. Hint: a sleeve is NOT a serving!

If you can handle the Thin Mint, I applaud you! :flowerforyou:

Replies

• carlybarley22
    carlybarley22 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    I made it too easy. I'm allergic to peanut butter, but my dad loves it. So, I bought him 2 boxes that have peanuts. No temptation there =).
  • ccmandel
    ccmandel Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I used to think freezer was safe..l.nope! They are better that way! My husband eats them before I even see them...so that is good!

Susan
  • dorothytd
    dorothytd Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options
    I used to think freezer was safe..l.nope! They are better that way! My husband eats them before I even see them...so that is good!

Susan

Yeah, the freezer ramps up the evil factor for me, too!
  • beachlover317
    beachlover317 Posts: 2,848 Member
    Options
    My precious granddaughter is a Girl Scout so I face this every year, with no options. Last year, I decided (because she lives in another state) to send the check to her, but never retrieve the cookies. I'm sure my teenage grandson is delighted at this turn of events. This is my plan this year too! :laugh:
  • MooMooooo
    MooMooooo Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    Maybe do extra exercise and cut calories out of other meals? Skinny people eat cookies too - sometimes a whole box.

It's all maths - just work it out.

BTW this year will be my first year trying Girl Scout Cookies - an American friend is ordering them for me and keeping them for when I arrive in late March.

I hope they're as good as everyone says!
  • dorothytd
    Options
    My precious granddaughter is a Girl Scout so I face this every year, with no options. Last year, I decided (because she lives in another state) to send the check to her, but never retrieve the cookies. I'm sure my teenage grandson is delighted at this turn of events. This is my plan this year too! :laugh:

Perfect! I bet he is thrilled!
  • benol1
    benol1 Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    Have you thought about just giving the Guides a monetary donation? It would free you from accepting their calories.
    To give is so much better than it is to receive!
  • vtmoon
    vtmoon Posts: 3,436 Member
    Options
    Go to the store and buy milk, take their evil product and drown it. Then to hid the evidence process their evil product through your body and then flush it as an extra precaution.
  • USMC1968
    USMC1968 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Have you thought about just giving the Guides a monetary donation? It would free you from accepting their calories.

This is what we do...
  • plynn54
    plynn54 Posts: 912 Member
    Options
    if you still want to donate but no eat the cookies, just give them the money for the cookies and tell them they can give them to somone who might not beable to afford a box. those mint ones are like crack to me lol
  • dorothytd
    Options

I agree! But when you can help them by buying (the girls have quotas), then can give the cookies to a good home - double win!
  • dorothytd
    Options
    Go to the store and buy milk, take their evil product and drown it. Then to hid the evidence process their evil product through your body and then flush it as an extra precaution.

LOL
  • emtb319
    Options
    I haven't seen too many girls out yet...it's a little too cold for them to be out and selling here. When they come around, I buy some for my Dad and my lil brother (currently serving overseas in Japan with the USMC). I may give in and get a box for our house, but between my kids and hubby, 1 box lasts about 5 minutes.
  • breasonable
    breasonable Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I am a leader of my daughters troop and you can donate a box to our troops! So you just pay for the box and we will send it our seas to our troops serving!!!!!! Thank you for your support!!!! The girls do hate to hear people say they are on a diet!!! lol
  • twism521x
    Options
    For me it's the Lemonades. And, I can't get enough of them. But I only buy them at certain locations so I can leave them behind. Work they go tot he break room. Stores give them to the next person that buys some. And, at home if they knock it's a donation. If they come in the house they are going to be consumed and consumed quickly, lol.
  • beachlover317
    beachlover317 Posts: 2,848 Member
    Options

for the win...........
  • Erisad
    Erisad Posts: 1,580
    Options
    They don't taste as good as they used to and they seem to have doubled the price. Soo I just keep that in mind and shoo em away. :P
  • Amazon_Who
    Amazon_Who Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    I eat one serving. Then I leave the box in the kitchen in plain sight and they disappear! P.S. I have 3 teenage boys.
  • Illona88
    Illona88 Posts: 903 Member
    Options
    Buy a box or two and then take it with you to the hospital for the people who are staying there.
    I am sure they would appreciate it and it will give you a nice feeling and some social time with them. Ask at the reception desk first, though.
  • TrishLG
    TrishLG Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I am a leader of my daughters troop and you can donate a box to our troops! So you just pay for the box and we will send it our seas to our troops serving!!!!!! Thank you for your support!!!! The girls do hate to hear people say they are on a diet!!! lol