Food Diary (Suggestions/Criticisms)

Options
Hey guys! I'm currently doing insanity and changed up my diet and just wanted to see if I was at close to having a decent consumption of foods. I am a very terrible cook, which results in me eating a lot of wheat bread, which is probably an issue I'm having.

Would really appreciate any pointers. Thanks!

Replies

• toomuchbootyindapants
    Options
    Aside from cutting back on sodium rich foods, you may consider upping your protein overall. Doing insanity results in a big calorie burn and without adequate protein you are apt to lose more lean mass than you may want to. Your goal is to lose more fat overall and protein intake can really help retain your lean mass while eating in a deficit. The MFP defaults are simply too low at 15% so many people change them to 40% carbs, 30% protein, 30% fat. Decreasing your carb intake a bit may show a water loss on your scale as well (if you find that motivational).
  • babyblake11
    babyblake11 Posts: 1,107 Member
    Options
    eat way less processed foods, more fruit, vegetables and protein.
  • deceived1
    deceived1 Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    eat way less processed foods, more fruit, vegetables and protein.

Yeah, I really do need to work on cutting out processed foods. Any tips/suggestions for someone who is terrible with food knowledge?

Also, for the protein, are supplements/whey/etc. a good idea or should I try to stick with actual foods to meet these goals?
    Aside from cutting back on sodium rich foods, you may consider upping your protein overall. Doing insanity results in a big calorie burn and without adequate protein you are apt to lose more lean mass than you may want to. Your goal is to lose more fat overall and protein intake can really help retain your lean mass while eating in a deficit. The MFP defaults are simply too low at 15% so many people change them to 40% carbs, 30% protein, 30% fat. Decreasing your carb intake a bit may show a water loss on your scale as well (if you find that motivational).

Thanks for the % tip, didn't realize that I wasn't eating enough protein. Don't really care at all about scale #s or water retention, just looking for overall results.

Would appreciate more comments/suggestions for an ignorant food eater. Really appreciate the info.
  • carlybarley22
    carlybarley22 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    Up protein, a protein shake works for me. I eat pretty simple with very, very few processed foods. Mostly a piece of chicken and some veggies. You can add me and take a look at my diary if you'd like =).
  • spatticus
    spatticus Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    I started a facebook page to help people get started eating clean (no processed foods) message me if you want the link id love to have you!
  • blu_meanie_ca
    blu_meanie_ca Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    My goodness young man,

I hope you are a pirate, because you are going to get scurvey. Fruit flavored yogurt =/= a serving of fruit.

Easy cooking for super nubes:

Meat (any except fish/seafood)
    *Line baking sheet w/ tinfoil (less dishes)
    *Season w/ salt, pepper, garlic powder and anything else that suits your fancy (currey, paprika,cayenne, oregano, basil and thyme are all pretty verseitile)
    *Broil on high for 5 min
    *Reduce heat to 350, bake until juice runs clear (you will see a puddle of fat/"juice" on the tin foil... there shouldn't be any pink.. If the puddle has dried all together you have started to over cook your meat, and remove from heat immediatly)

Veggies
    Buy frozen, put some in the microwave... heat until warm.

Whole grains
    Buy brown rice, quinoa, and wheat kernels (wheat berries). Follow directions on bag

Potatoes
    Cut down the middle so it does not explode in microwave.
    Hit the baked potatoe button on microwave, or, nuke for about 5 min (test for doneness)
    Or
    Do not peel. Wash well, cut into bite size pieces. Boil for 20 min or so, occasionally poking with a fork to see if it's cooked. Do not put a lid on it, as potato starch is hard to wash off of lids, and is nasty to get off a stove if you pot boils over.

Buy a food scale. Cook grains in larger batches. They can all be portioned in freezer bags and nuked as needed. Do the same with meat (careful with nuking though, as you can dry meat out badly if your not careful).
  • mercurymads
    mercurymads Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    get a slow cooker: chicken breast, thighs, or pork, beef, whatever protein you like, some vegetables, do it on a sunday, you're done for (most of) the week. side of instant brown rice, couscous or whatever starch you like. find simple recipes on the internet. use spices for flavor (garlic, red pepper flakes, rosemary)

make you're on pizza: pre made crust, pre cooked chicken, sauce, cheese, whatever veggies you like

turkey chili

roaster chickens from the grocery are the easiest - and tastiest
  • erbear117
    erbear117 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    try not to eat wheat as a core part of your meal more than once a day.
    fruits, veggies, protein, WHOLE grains < build your meals around this!