What is bad with too much protein?

Options
Serenifly
Serenifly Posts: 669 Member
I"ve only entered my Breakfast (three hard boiled eggs) and lunch (Tuna sandwchich) and I only have 9 grams of protien left for the day ... thing is I have softball afterwork, which means no dinner, I only have time to grab a smoothy (protein smoothy from Booster Juice) which has god knows how much ...

Is there something bad with too much protein ?

Replies

• Crysta1976
    Crysta1976 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Was wondering the same thing...
  • sjcply
    sjcply Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    Protein is good. I eat 120-150 grams everyday! MFP is way low in my opinion but everyone is different. I go over everday. If you are playing softball you really need more protein, but be sure and drinks lots of water!
  • LongMom
    LongMom Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    It's just a guideline to demonstrate how a balanced day would work. There is nothing "wrong" with going over in protein - especially if you're under on carbs the same day :)

It's daunting seeing the RED numbers, I know. I see red in my protein and fibre columns quite often.
  • redbedhead
    redbedhead Posts: 53
    Options
    Long term High protein diets can cause kidney problems, but it is fine to go over every once in a while.
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    You should get no more than 30% of your diet from protein - CONSISTENTLY. Going over on your protein every now and then is okay. Constantly going over for months at a time can cause kidney problems. Otherwise, you should be fine. If you only have 9g left, go into your goals and make sure your diet is as follows: carbs 55%, protein 30%, fat 20%, fiber 25g, sodium 2400mg.
  • SayRah
    SayRah Posts: 104
    Options
    If you eat too much and you don't spend the energy you get from the excess protein, it can be converted to fat.
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    Oh, sorry, 50,30,20.
  • BADGIRLstl
    BADGIRLstl Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    You should get no more than 30% of your diet from protein - CONSISTENTLY. Going over on your protein every now and then is okay. Constantly going over for months at a time can cause kidney problems. Otherwise, you should be fine. If you only have 9g left, go into your goals and make sure your diet is as follows: carbs 55%, protein 30%, fat 20%, fiber 25g, sodium 2400mg.
    Not to sound dumb, but how do you do this....my carbs, protein, and fat isn't set up as percentages......thanks!
  • edmanski
    edmanski Posts: 8
    Options
    Set up a zone around your target amount that is +/- 10%. Focus on your weekly/monthly average.

Protein is the most difficult nutrient for the body to convert and therefore can stress the digestive system, especially the liver and kidneys, when digested in high dose.

Yet your case suggests all is good. Your only marginally off your target which is fine. It's only when you are on an all protein diet that there should be concern.

And yes! Plenty of water all day long!

e
  • lilchino4af
    lilchino4af Posts: 1,292 Member
    Options
    Not to sound dumb, but how do you do this....my carbs, protein, and fat isn't set up as percentages......thanks!
    You can set your % in My Home, Goals, Change Goals, Custom. The default is something like 65/20/15. I changed mine to 55/25/20. Once you adjust those % the numbers you're allowed will change in your food diary.
  • LittleSpy
    LittleSpy Posts: 6,754 Member
    Options

Go to "My Home" then "Goals" then "Change Goals" then "Custom" & then you can drop downt the boxes and change your percentages.

I eat around 2x more protein than MFP originally gives you. My percentages are 45% carbs, 30% protein, and 25% fat. This is the combo that makes me feel the best. If you play around with it, you'll find what works best for you. :wink:
  • Serenifly
    Serenifly Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    Wow thanks everyone for the speedy responses! ... I Run in the mornings 3 days a week, so after those runs, hard boiled eggs are the easiest to make (while I shower) Mostly how I go over my daily allowance...

Thanks all for your replies! :D
  • edmanski
    edmanski Posts: 8
    Options
    Go to:

MY HOME
    Goals
    Change Goals
    Custom Setting

Here you can set your Carbs, Fat and Protein in percentages of your total caloretic intake.

Mine is 55C/25F/20P.

This works for me as I'm in a reduction phase on the fat. I was really into burgers and fries and ice cream so instead of doing a drastic dump, I'm walking it down. I'll probably stop at 20% fat for it works well into my situation, especially with exercise.
  • July24Lioness
    July24Lioness Posts: 2,399 Member
    Options
    Long term High protein diets can cause kidney problems, but it is fine to go over every once in a while.

I have been on a mostly high protein way of eating for 7 years now and my kidneys work just fine.
  • July24Lioness
    Options

Ha ha.. I have to laugh. According to you guys, I should be dead by now..............

I have been eating 50% fat, 40 % protein and 10% carbs for the better part of 7 years and when I eat this way I am healthier than I ever been.
  • ChavezCurse
    ChavezCurse Posts: 29
    Options
    "The recommendation for protein for a healthy male or female is .08 g per kilogram of BW. A person who weighs 150 lbs needs about 54 g of protein. (Take your weight in pounds and divide by 2.2 and then multiply by 0.8 to get yours)."

http://rojofitness.blogspot.com/2010/02/supplements-should-i-take-some.html
  • LittleSpy
    LittleSpy Posts: 6,754 Member
    Options
    "The recommendation for protein for a healthy male or female is .08 g per kilogram of BW. A person who weighs 150 lbs needs about 54 g of protein. (Take your weight in pounds and divide by 2.2 and then multiply by 0.8 to get yours)."

I just wanted to note I believe this would be the MINIMUM recommended protein intake to maintain your body comp. Also important to note that you have linked and cited a *blog.* Know what I can say on a blog? Yeah, anything I want. :laugh: Blogs aren't exactly the most reliable source of information, especially nutritional information. :wink: If you read further on one of the articles that blog you referenced cites, you'll see this: "When training, you need about a half gram of protein per pound of body weight. So a 180-pound male needs about 90 grams of protein a day." And this, "The average non-exercising adult only needs about 60 grams a day" (Note NON-EXERCISING). Yet, I'm not convinced even THAT article is a reliable source so take it for what it's worth.

http://www.livescience.com/health/protein-supplements-100202.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed:+Livesciencecom+(LiveScience.com+Science+Headline+Feed)
  • July24Lioness
    Options

I just wanted to note I believe this would be the MINIMUM recommended protein intake to maintain your body comp. Also important to note that you have linked and cited a *blog.* Know what I can say on a blog? Yeah, anything I want. :laugh: Blogs aren't exactly the most reliable source of information, especially nutritional information. :wink: If you read further on one of the articles that blog you referenced cites, you'll see this: "When training, you need about a half gram of protein per pound of body weight. So a 180-pound male needs about 90 grams of protein a day." And this, "The average non-exercising adult only needs about 60 grams a day" (Note NON-EXERCISING). Yet, I'm not convinced even THAT article is a reliable source so take it for what it's worth.

http://www.livescience.com/health/protein-supplements-100202.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed:+Livesciencecom+(LiveScience.com+Science+Headline+Feed)

Yes, I believe that is really low.
  • Barneystinson
    Barneystinson Posts: 1,357 Member
    Options
    It's usually .75-1.2x your body weight.

And seriously, if 30% or more calories from protein is deadly, then count me on the "should be dead" club also as I've been eating this way since 2005.

I started following advice on bodybuilding forums and went from there...if you lift or take part in regular fitness, you need sufficient protein. It also contributes to the satiety of what we eat.
  • hiddensecant
    hiddensecant Posts: 2,446 Member
    Options
    I'd be dead or sick too if 30% was the upper limit for protein.

The default protein given on MFP is low for active adults.