whole wheat is bad for you?

Options
124»

Replies

• nins11065
    nins11065 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Hi,

I agree with CarolynB38. I also would like to read the article and research its findingds to understand whta is behind its claims.
    Thanks,
    Nins
  • MSeel1984
    MSeel1984 Posts: 2,297 Member
    Options
    The same can be said for any food containing carbohydrate.

Fruit...starchy vegetables...some dairy...and yes, grains.

The end result of metabolism of carbohydrates is sugar in the form of glucose.

Does that mean we should only eat green leafy vegetables and never eat fruit, starchy vegetables, grains or dairy?

Your brain operates on glucose...to cut out or severely limit these types of food is approaching a low-carb/Atkins style diet which is not healthy either.

Everything in moderation-don't panic.
  • SanteMulberry
    SanteMulberry Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    as for what is the trigger, one study is just one study.

There are other studies that link celiac disease to bacterial infections, too (in susceptible individuals, because celiac is genetic - if you don't have the genetic predisposition towards it, you will not get it, period, full stop). Who knows what causes it? Some think it can simply be stress.

If you can eat rye and have clear blood work of antibodies and no damage to intestinal villi, you don't have the disease. Some people don't make the antibodies - in those cases they have trouble making IgA antibodies at all. But in people who do make antibodies, they will have specific antibodies to anti-tTG and anti-EMA that only show up in celiac disease. I have tested positive for these antibodies when my diet has failed to be compliant / and hell yes that makes me mad because I work hard at being compliant and it is nearly always because someone lied to me about the contents of my food, thinking "no harm will come".

I have a right to be angry about that, sure thing. But hey, your flippant response is to tell me to eat something, very classy.

But why take your anger to an internet forum? Just stresses you out, does nothing to punish me for my "ignorance". I have several friends with Celiac and had one friend with it (who died of heart failure). I do NOT believe that the disease is a joke--I'm sorry that you cannot get secure gluten-free meals. My husband and I never go to restaurants because he has the same problem with dairy. People have unthinkingly fed him margarine, not knowing that margarine usually contains milk derived ingredients.
  • MSeel1984
    MSeel1984 Posts: 2,297 Member
    Options
    As I understand it, any product made with white flour is directly converted into sugar. Whole grains are not. You have to watch food labels to be sure that you are really using whole grain products. Grain products are digested in the intestines and not converted to carbs or sugar.

Grains certainly are converted to glucose. All carbs are, no matter their orginal form. The difference is in how quickly it's converted. Refined grains (sucrose, white flour, white rice) and converted very quickly, and therefore spike your blood sugar. Whole grains digest more slowly, causing a gentle rise and fall of glucose levels, allowing for a more moderate release of insulin into your blood stream.

^^ This. This is referring to they glycemic index concept.

A whole apple will cause a more gradual rise in glucose levels, while a glass of apple juice may cause a spike in blood sugars...

Whole grains vs white/processed grains are the same idea. A slice of white bread has the same glycemic response/Glycemic index as a teaspoon of white sugar whereas a slice of whole grain bread that has a higher fiber content gives your body more to "work on" as it digests...the fiber is not easily broken down, so it causes a more gradual glycemic response.

The end result is still glucose which is essential for your body to function EFFICIENTLY (regardless of what you might hear elsewhere). An apple is still a healthy food, but it contains natural sugar and will be broken down into glucose eventually.

Try doing some research on the glycemic index-it may help you understand this whole concept a little better.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    i just watched a video linked from a Livestrong page and it said you should avoid whole grain bread and pasta. said your body just turns it into sugar or whatever. is this true? just when you think you're doing well on your diet you watch some video and it make you rethink your whole strategy....don't you hate that?

All carbs eventually become sugar, including veggies. :wink:
  • rm7161
    rm7161 Posts: 505
    Options
    I NEVER said that I was. I said that eating wheat gives me digestive problems--not sure why, but there it is. It may be that there are other things going on. Perhaps it is the sourdough process that makes the grain more digestible. The digestibility of grain has always been enhanced by the sourdough process. And I usually have only one piece of rye bread per day--occasionally none.

It does, for some people... but celiac doesn't always have this symptom, and when it does, it is often delayed because its caused by an autoimmune reaction which takes time to occur. Allergies occur much faster, as do intolerances. This may be what you have, but my point is there is no mild form of celiac... there are people with more symptoms and less, but the damage happens to the intestinal tract regardless.

As for sourdough, I saw that study on bifido too... its not all cultures and it doesn't completely break the gliadins down. What it can do is help people who may have ingested accidental gluten tolerate the small amounts that they have eaten, but it is not good enough to render a gluten food effectively gluten free. A sourdough rye bread is still off limits to celiacs. (edit: also most rye bread is a combination of rye and wheat, anyway... in Europe they are working on gluten removed versions of rye but that is a process of removing the proteins altogether from the starch, people eat a lot more rye bread in German speaking countries.)

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2453197/

also, look again at the stats from the Irish study, the grain with the lowest inflammatory response in controls was barley, but out of the celiacs, wheat had the lowest inflammatory response. Interesting, says there is something inflammatory in controls with wheat and rye that doesn't exist about barley, but all three are practically the same for celiacs, with rye being marginally higher than wheat.