Frozen vegetables?

Options
I started eating more broccoli recently to eat healthier (was recommended by people here) and I have been been buying it frozen. I really hate raw broccoli...but on the flip side I love it cooked.

I know now that canned veggies are a big no-no, but what about frozen stuff? It tastes so much better!

Replies

• notworthstalking
    notworthstalking Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    Frozen veggies are fine. As long as they have nothing added. I take a cup of frozen veggies with my protein and carbs for dinner to work. I just cook them while heating up the rest. It's a cheap, low calorie way to bulk up meals.
  • JessicaRobin67
    JessicaRobin67 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    I use frozen vegetables all the time... very rarely will I use canned.
  • katevarner
    katevarner Posts: 884 Member
    Options
    As long as they are just vegetables without a lot of added sauce or sodium, they are just as healthy as fresh. Just make sure to read the label so you know what you are getting. I keep frozen veggies around for when I run out of fresh and can't get to the store. Frozen peas and beans are good and convenient, too.
  • Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,262 Member
    Options
    birds eye frozen vegetables taste nice. Just steam in the microwave.
  • xxcandywrathxx
    xxcandywrathxx Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I always eat frozen vegetables. but not canned; except corn.
    I see nothing wrong with eating frozen food.
  • jonesin_am
    jonesin_am Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    Big frozen veggie lover. Cheaper, doesn't go bad, already prepared... I always have broccoli florets and green beans in my freezer. Sometimes brussel sprouts, cauliflower, peas, etc. I sometimes like to bring a bag to work with me. I have one of those pampered chef microwave steamer things, so I can steam my veggies at work!
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I've never seen broccoli in a can. My pantry is jam-packed with canned goods. I'm not sure what people have against them. I also buy frozen veggies all the time. The only time I buy fresh fruits/veggies is when they are in season or on a good sale. Otherwise, they're too expensive. Nearly all of our fruits and veggies come from a can or the freezer.
  • icyeyes317
    icyeyes317 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I've never seen broccoli in a can. My pantry is jam-packed with canned goods. I'm not sure what people have against them. I also buy frozen veggies all the time. The only time I buy fresh fruits/veggies is when they are in season or on a good sale. Otherwise, they're too expensive. Nearly all of our fruits and veggies come from a can or the freezer.

Most of the time it is because canned veggies have a lot of extra salt. Excluding rare cases, most people don't need a lot of salt. Some of it can be eliminated by rinsing the veggies before you use them...but that is really hard to do with something like spinach.
  • kat5556
    kat5556 Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I'm all for frozen when fresh isn't an option. We alternate in my house depending on what I have on hand and what I have for time. I add some low fat dressing sometimes and to broccoli I like the Sargento Artisan Blends cheese, the parm is only 20 calories for 2 tsps.
  • darkguardian419
    darkguardian419 Posts: 1,302 Member
    Options
    the accepted path for veggies is fresh>frozen>canned and sometimes (depending on season, etc) frozen can be better than fresh. Typically frozen is about as fresh as true "fresh" veggies. Canned are shunned due to salt, processing, additives, and the fact that they spend more time in a processing plant than frozen.

Honestly... if the only way you're going to eat veggies is if they're canned, then eat canned. I prefer frozen over any because I can keep a variety in our chest freezer. I also prefer the taste of frozen over canned... but there are situations (green beans specifically) where canned can taste better :D
  • dillydally123
    dillydally123 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Is there really such thing as canned broccoli? who knew?
    i sometimes freeze my own also if i don't think i'll get shopping again soon.
  • dawnna76
    dawnna76 Posts: 987 Member
    Options
    Frozen veggies ( just veggies no add ins) are actually healthy than most fresh veggies. As they were picked and flash frozen at their best point and hold more nutrients as veggies start to lose that stuff thus minute they are picked. I fresh produce at your local store is often a week or so since picked
  • scorpfem
    Options
    I am a big fan of frozen veg - I only shop once every 2 weeks on pay day and fresh wont last that long. I have fresh for first few day and after that frozen. They are snap frozen at their freshest so just as good if not better than fresh.
  • WendyTerry420
    Options
    Is there really such thing as canned broccoli? who knew?
    i sometimes freeze my own also if i don't think i'll get shopping again soon.

I would think that it would get mushy, like asparagus. I don't eat canned asparagus. I just have to wait for it to go on sale.
  • PonyTailedLoser
    PonyTailedLoser Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    I am poor so I usually use frozen veggies. Way less sodium than canned and taste better.
  • MSeel1984
    MSeel1984 Posts: 2,297 Member
    Options
    Most frozen veggies are flash-frozen as they are harvested which means they're actually very fresh. Most do not have added salt or other preservatives either since the temperature/freezing process is in itself a form of preservation.

Canned tastes like crap. You taste more salt than vegetable and the veggie that's left tastes awful.

Fresh or Frozen. Some frozen vegetables are actually quite good. Broccoli, green beans, peas and Brussels Sprouts are some of my favorites.
  • JanJan060
    JanJan060 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I started eating more broccoli recently to eat healthier (was recommended by people here) and I have been been buying it frozen. I really hate raw broccoli...but on the flip side I love it cooked.

I know now that canned veggies are a big no-no, but what about frozen stuff? It tastes so much better!
  • JanJan060
    JanJan060 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    you may find that canned vegies or fruit is full of sodium or sugar, just saying
  • blu_meanie_ca
    blu_meanie_ca Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    Due to the extreem heat that canned fruits/vegetables are exposed to, a good portion of the nutrients and fiber are lost. Flash frozen vegetables are as vitamin and fiber dence as if you were to buy fresh and cook yourself (just cheaper). Just don't try using frozen cauliflower for cauliflower au gratin or cauliflower pizza crust. It gets a bit mushy when frozen, and that would not go well.
  • WendyTerry420
    Options

Most of the time it is because canned veggies have a lot of extra salt. Excluding rare cases, most people don't need a lot of salt. Some of it can be eliminated by rinsing the veggies before you use them...but that is really hard to do with something like spinach.

Oh, I can see that, I guess. I quit worrying about salt. When I was tracking it, I found that on average, I was just below RDA on a regular basis. I know some people have blood pressure issues and such thouhg.

And as for spinach, if it's being cooked, it *needs* plenty of salt, imo.