Pregnant and not wanting to put to much weight on

Options

Replies

• TrishLG
    TrishLG Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Confession Time!!! I put on 80 pounds during my pregnancy. When my husband came home and I told him that I was pregnant, first he was excited, then he said, "You are going to put on so much weight it will be disgusting." 23 years I lived with this guy. 23 years of insults and put downs.
    But, within 2 days of the birth I was down 50 pounds. Much of it was water weight. If I had followed a weight gain chart, considering all the fluid that i retained both in the uterus and in my own body tissues, the baby would have been short of nutrients.
    So that still left 30 pounds of fat. I tell you it looked like I had twins, one each thigh.
    However I nursed. Women who nurse lose weight big time. Not at first because the little buggers do not consume enough calories, but as they grow, mom shrinks.
    The baby needs nutrients. Your body needs nutrients. Eat plenty of vegetables because that is the source of vitamins and minerals and proteins. Listen to everyone, but use your own head. And if you run into a fat phobic dunce, make distance.
  • 3RachaelFaith3
    3RachaelFaith3 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    yeah, don't add the calories to "diet" calories. Add it to your regular intake. So don't add 350 to 1200. Add it to your maintenance calories. No need to diet now. You can do all that soon enough after sweet baby is here!! :)
  • Tiffanyluvsaaron
    Options
    right now your baby is just a few cells stuck together lol... So baby isn't hungry. You are, which is fine. But this early on you only need a couple hundred extra calories. Later on you'll need more. I'm sure you can find a guide online. Anyway, be careful. I am the world's worst and gained 45 with each pregnancy and it is so much work to get it back off. Congratulations by the way!!! It's very exciting. Take care of yourself.

Thanks so much :)
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    If you concentrate on healthy foods and save the 'less healthy' foods for treats (like we would normally), you will find it's not that hard to gain only a healthy amount of pregnancy weight.

If diabetes is a risk for you, I would recommend looking into eating plans for those with gestational diabetes. It's not a diet - it's a healthy eating plan, that would be fine for anyone, whether they have diabetes or not. And it just might help you ward off the problem before you *have* a problem.

A fantastic book is "What to Expect When You're Expecting - Eating Well When You're Expecting"

http://www.chapters.indigo.ca/books/What-Expect-When-Youre-Expecting-Heidi-Murkoff/9780761133261-item.html?ikwid=how+to+eat+when+you+are+pregnant&ikwsec=Home

It's by the same team who wrote "What to expect when you're expecting". Loads of awesome information in that book.

Good luck - and best wishes for a healthy pregnancy and healthy baby!!
  • Tiffanyluvsaaron
    Options
    Confession Time!!! I put on 80 pounds during my pregnancy. When my husband came home and I told him that I was pregnant, first he was excited, then he said, "You are going to put on so much weight it will be disgusting." 23 years I lived with this guy. 23 years of insults and put downs.
    But, within 2 days of the birth I was down 50 pounds. Much of it was water weight. If I had followed a weight gain chart, considering all the fluid that i retained both in the uterus and in my own body tissues, the baby would have been short of nutrients.
    So that still left 30 pounds of fat. I tell you it looked like I had twins, one each thigh.
    However I nursed. Women who nurse lose weight big time. Not at first because the little buggers do not consume enough calories, but as they grow, mom shrinks.
    The baby needs nutrients. Your body needs nutrients. Eat plenty of vegetables because that is the source of vitamins and minerals and proteins. Listen to everyone, but use your own head. And if you run into a fat phobic dunce, make distance.

Now I was planning on nursing, but using the breast pumps, because Im a full working mom and would this still help to lose?
  • vickiessecret
    vickiessecret Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Congrats & Good Luck, I myselft gained 80lbs with my 1st & swelled horribly, I gained over 10lbs in 1 week & it wasn't from eating, I lost 40lbs after having her & kept the last 40lbs...then a year later I got pregnant again & gained 50lbs & lost all that. I then had my 3rd & gained another 50lbs, I currently lost 32 of those lbs & I'm still working on getting the last 26lbs off. I never ate 100% healthy during my pregnancies & gave into fast food :/ I'd have to say stay away from fast food, I haven't had any in over 3 weeks & my weight is finally going down. I agree to see what your dr says you should gain & they can give you tips & advice :)
  • Tiffanyluvsaaron
    Options
    yeah, don't add the calories to "diet" calories. Add it to your regular intake. So don't add 350 to 1200. Add it to your maintenance calories. No need to diet now. You can do all that soon enough after sweet baby is here!! :)

Yeah I finally figured that out lol. Guess that wouldn't make since to add to diet calories. Thanks so much
  • Tiffanyluvsaaron
    Options
    Congrats & Good Luck, I myselft gained 80lbs with my 1st & swelled horribly, I gained over 10lbs in 1 week & it wasn't from eating, I lost 40lbs after having her & kept the last 40lbs...then a year later I got pregnant again & gained 50lbs & lost all that. I then had my 3rd & gained another 50lbs, I currently lost 32 of those lbs & I'm still working on getting the last 26lbs off. I never ate 100% healthy during my pregnancies & gave into fast food :/ I'd have to say stay away from fast food, I haven't had any in over 3 weeks & my weight is finally going down. I agree to see what your dr says you should gain & they can give you tips & advice :)

Thanks. I will fight the urge when it comes to fast food. I know I cave into this bad habit as well :(
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options

Now I was planning on nursing, but using the breast pumps, because Im a full working mom and would this still help to lose?

Yup - still works - your body is making the milk either way, and your baby is still getting the milk.

I nursed too, and it helped immensely.
  • Tiffanyluvsaaron
    Options
    If you concentrate on healthy foods and save the 'less healthy' foods for treats (like we would normally), you will find it's not that hard to gain only a healthy amount of pregnancy weight.

If diabetes is a risk for you, I would recommend looking into eating plans for those with gestational diabetes. It's not a diet - it's a healthy eating plan, that would be fine for anyone, whether they have diabetes or not. And it just might help you ward off the problem before you *have* a problem.

A fantastic book is "What to Expect When You're Expecting - Eating Well When You're Expecting"

http://www.chapters.indigo.ca/books/What-Expect-When-Youre-Expecting-Heidi-Murkoff/9780761133261-item.html?ikwid=how+to+eat+when+you+are+pregnant&ikwsec=Home

It's by the same team who wrote "What to expect when you're expecting". Loads of awesome information in that book.

Good luck - and best wishes for a healthy pregnancy and healthy baby!!

Thanks. I appreciate the recommendation
  • Tiffanyluvsaaron
    Options

Yup - still works - your body is making the milk either way, and your baby is still getting the milk.

I nursed too, and it helped immensely.

Ok that would work. I know some women don't produce enough milk for baby so I would probably sub with formula if I had to
  • bigbird1979
    bigbird1979 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I was one of those people who put on 60 pounds while pregnant. I didn't eat that much different but I ate. I was one of those people who would drink coffee and not eat. So I of course put on weight. I wasn't really until I was about 7 months that I really started to pack of on. The last month I really packed of on. It was July so most was water weight. I currently am trying to lose all that crap. I lost 40 at about the third month but the last 20 is not going anywhere. I then put on 5 of it back. So I weighed 134 when I started this site and now I am up to 140. I was doing good but then I quit breast feeding and it sent my hormones out of whack and that was the end of November. The past 2 months is just me trying to get thru it. I think I'm starting to feel better. I ended up getting an IUD in October which I believe screwed everything up or made it worse. I am 6 months PP. I just had it removed this past week. It put my body in fight mode. I think I should have had it removed sooner. My body is not snapping back like I thought it would. Maybe you'll be one of the luck ones because I know I'm not. I just keep on trying. That's all I can do.
  • bigbird1979
    bigbird1979 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Nursing did nothing for me. Some women actually hold on to that extra weight. I was a smaller person to begin with not so much now, I feel like a linebacker and my boby needed that weight.
  • Tiffanyluvsaaron
    Options
    I was one of those people who put on 60 pounds while pregnant. I didn't eat that much different but I ate. I was one of those people who would drink coffee and not eat. So I of course put on weight. I wasn't really until I was about 7 months that I really started to pack of on. The last month I really packed of on. It was July so most was water weight. I currently am trying to lose all that crap. I lost 40 at about the third month but the last 20 is not going anywhere. I then put on 5 of it back. So I weighed 134 when I started this site and now I am up to 140. I was doing good but then I quit breast feeding and it sent my hormones out of whack and that was the end of November. The past 2 months is just me trying to get thru it. I think I'm starting to feel better. I ended up getting an IUD in October which I believe screwed everything up or made it worse. I am 6 months PP. I just had it removed this past week. It put my body in fight mode. I think I should have had it removed sooner. My body is not snapping back like I thought it would. Maybe you'll be one of the luck ones because I know I'm not. I just keep on trying. That's all I can do.

Thanks. See im already 213 lbs and I don't want to be to heavy. I started at 235 and lost down to 180 and gained back to 207 and now since being preg Im at 213 :( That's why im afraid to put to much on
  • Pepper2185
    Pepper2185 Posts: 994 Member
    Options
    Pregosaurus wrote a good blog article about this recently:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/PregosaurusRex/view/liz-s-guide-to-pregnancy-nutrition-and-fitness-469646

Try not to obsess over the weight thing. Eat enough, eat healthy, and get as much exercise as you can.

I planned to only gain 25 pounds. Then I was diagnosed with gestational diabetes. I followed a super strict diet/exercise plan and still ended up gaining 44 pounds. My doctor was fine with my gain, and as expected, I lost it all by the time my son was 3.5 months old.

All of us mamas have a different experience, but we all agree that eating enough and eating healthy is the best thing you can do.

There is also a Fit, Fabulous & Pregnant group where you will find lots of other moms-to-be!

Congrats on your pregnancy!
  • julesxo
    julesxo Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    I didn't count calories when pregnant, so I am not sure if I ate that much more or not. I would talk to your Dr to see what exactly you should be eating. I will say, from experience, the less weight you put on during pregnancy the easier it is to get rid of it!

My first pregnancy, I was put on bedrest at 6 months in the hospital so my diet and exercise went out the window and I gained a total of 45 lbs. I ate, a lot. Foods that I normally would not eat. That weight is what I am STILL trying to lose.

My second pregnancy, I gained 20 lbs and lost it all easily within the first month but I also exercised 6 days a week including the day I delivered.

GL!
  • Craigamears
    Craigamears Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    That's what im trying to do. I know im not supposed to lose. so i set my goal to 1500 which is 300 more than what I was supposed to but the doctor also said exercise is important if its not over done. so i set my exercising to only 3 days a week for 20 minutes. and I walk everyday at work. But it still has me at losing 1.5 lbs a week :(

Tiffany, your BMR which is the minimum necessary for maintaining your body (not including the little guy) at your current weight is around 1750-1800. That would put your TDEE around 2160 if all you did was watch TV everyday. 1500 calories is a 20% deficit before you start walking around.

If you are trying not to have a deficit you may want to recalculate your numbers. I also agree with a previous poster that you want to keep your protein levels up. It will help reduce your swelling and is good for the baby's neurological development and your milk when that time comes.

Not trying to be any kind of a downer but want to encourage happy and healthy mommies and babies.
  • PhearlessPhreaks
    PhearlessPhreaks Posts: 890 Member
    Options
    I havnt been on much because I found out I'm pregnant :) But that is all the more reason for me to eat healthier. So I was reading up on it and it says you only need 300-500 more calories for the baby. I'm only 10 weeks so I want to not pick up to much extra weight during this time. I had already gained several pounds because I was using everything I ate as an excuse "baby is hungry" and that is wrong. I will eat whenever baby is hungry but its not an excuse to keep cramming CRAP into my mouth! Any suggestions from mom or dads out there so that I don't put on to much extra weight? I just don't want to be one of those women who put on 50-100 lbs during pregnancy.

I put on 55lbs with my first pregnancy; I was 18lbs from my pre-pregnancy weight when I found myself pregnant with my 2nd child. I'm currently 17weeks, and I've actually lost 4lbs since my first appt (8wks) I'm currently set at 2350 calories via mfp, and it seems to be working for me. Your caloric needs depend on your current weight, activity level, etc… but put your info into MFP to maintain, and work from there. Most importantly- stay active!!!! I've found that doing something every day, even if it's just some yoga, has really helped.

Good luck, and feel free to add me :)
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Your doctor should be able to tell you what typical weight gain is for the different stages of pregnancy so that you can make sure you're on track. In any event, make sure that you are eating at maintenance plus the extra calories, not eating at a deficit.

Best advice. Make sure you talk to your doctor, and maybe the doctor will recommend a dietitian. It is possible to gain only baby weight and not fat, but you have to do it the right way.

And congratulations on your little one! :happy:
  • JanaCanada
    JanaCanada Posts: 917 Member
    Options
    Congrats! Not gonna comment on your diet, as you mentioned being under a doctor's care and that's sooo very important. You may want to ask your OB/GYN for a referral to see a dietician/nutritionist who will give you a diet plan to follow that is both healthy and sensible for pregnancy. Plus, you said you are aware that dieting while pregnant is not a good thing....so you've got this.

Only thing I will add is this: Just be sure to take your prenatal vitamins as soon as possible. You/baby need the folic acid.