Ugh, Curves Gym: Opinions... longish explination inside

Options
OK. Currently I do not have gym membership. I used to and I really enjoyed the gym for all the weights, and machines I do not have at home.

So, my boyfriend and and I are looking to move with in the next year or two, but we're looking to move into a very small mountain town, like literally in the rocky mountains, up there at like 8,000 elevation, and far away from everything. The only gym in the town is a Curves. The next closest gym is about 39 miles away. And I can tell you I'm not driving down the mountain in the winter for this.

So I guess my question is this: is Curves worth it to work out at if it's my only option? I always thought it was kind of lame 'ladies' (older housewifey) gym. I ideally would like to start to lift heavy after I lose body fat. Is this possible there?

Replies

• celticfire864
    Options
    Why don't you get yourself something like a TRX strap and do some suspension training? You can get a pretty good workout and that way you won't have to travel down the mountain.Lots of YouTube videos to show you the exercises.
  • MorgueBabe
    MorgueBabe Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options
    I guess mainly because I have such bad back, (I have a fused back, and a S-Curve scoliosis, with a tiny tumor in my neck that limits my neck mobility, and what I can do above my head No military press) I am always afraid to work out too hard at home.
    I should probably get over that.
  • NaomiJFoster
    NaomiJFoster Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options
    My mom belonged to Curves for a few years. She is in her late 60s, has severe arthritis in her spine and hips, has some problems with her sense of balance, and has lost a lot of strength in her arms over the years. She joined Curves to do exercises that her phyisical therapist wanted her doing, and to just get into better shape in general. She went through three or four different trianers while she was there. All of them pushed her, Jillian Michaels style. She got injured several times from doing exercises that were too much for her, with her conditions. Or from falling over from her balance issues, with the trainer refusing to help her stabilize herself.

I'm sure you'll be able to direct yourself, being younger and more knowledgeable about fitness. But it really bothered me that they seemed to be unable to understand the concept of my mother's physical needs and to individualize a program based on her level of fitness. They seemed to just be geared to push push push, faster cardio, heavier weights. Period, the end. Like all women who go there have the same goals. It bothered me.
  • madelonism
    madelonism Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    when i went to curves I was maybe 15. 280lbs. i went with my grandma and all the old ladies would try to stop me and talk about my hair. it was pretty iritatting. and i hate that there was no cardio machines. id say find an at home workout.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    Normally, I am completely against 'fem-gyms', for a plethora of reasons that I won't go into here.

That said, if your options are Curves, or nothing.../cringe....go with Curves.
  • maaandyxoxo
    Options
    i did curves for a while and i was losing weight but i was also doing some unhealthy things but i just felt like i wasnt doing enough at curves because you go around the machines 2 times and your done. i just dont feel like im doing much unless im panting and sweating lol
  • admnmtpilot
    admnmtpilot Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Curves has actually changed a lot from when it first opened. They have Curves Smart now and your work out is computer based directly on your needs, size and weight. I joined Curves on Oct 25, 2012 and as of Jan 23, 2013 (3 months), I have lost a total of <-23.75"> (inches), <-31.5lbs>, <-16.38> lbs of body fat, and my body fat % has went from approx 58% (est because it didn't register on the meter) to 49.8% (actual...it does register now :happy: )...all this in just 29 work outs.

I guess it is just up to you and what you are wanting to do...bulk up, get healthy, etc.... BTW, I am not old...I'm 40 :smile:

Good luck! :flowerforyou:
  • JSaltsea
    JSaltsea Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I don't belong myself but I speak often with the ladies whom works out in the one next door to mine. From what I hear, it's better than NOT doing exercise but it's definitely exercise *light*. You follow the system like a gerbil and buy their purple products and it's cool. For the price tag (HIGH) I would suggest you work out at home or get a wii fit for the same results.
  • MorgueBabe
    MorgueBabe Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options
    Thanks, my boyfriend and I will prob just buy some at home weights, and machines and put them in the basement.
  • sunglasses_and_ocean_waves
    Options
    What's wrong with "older housewives?" I bet many could run circles around you. =) You should probably lose the prejudice.
  • DaniH826
    DaniH826 Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    Thanks, my boyfriend and I will prob just buy some at home weights, and machines and put them in the basement.

I would do the math, and if the bottom line says you can get your own equipment ... do it. Especially if you have a built-in workout partner already there with you. :smile:
  • hypocritelecter
    hypocritelecter Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I think it's silly to discount a gym that's women only. I haven't been inside a Curves, but I did join a Women's Zone before I moved and I really enjoyed it. I was looking for a gym that was exclusive to women because of a few unsettling encounters at the YMCA, and they had everything I was looking for. I'm fairly certain you can ask for a tour of the facility beforehand to see what they have to offer, and if you don't see what you need there, there's no harm in a home gym! The majority of my weight loss has been from exercising at home and walks/jogs in my neighborhood. Good luck to you :)
  • LivMinusTen
    LivMinusTen Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I have been at a Curves gym and saw women in the ages of 30 to 80. You work on your own pace with your own goals based on your muscle strength. The reason I stopped going was that although it's only 30 minutes, I couldn't find the time to do it in the 7am - 7 pm time frame because they didn't offer child care. Having three kids with hobbies, I cannot make that commitment; mornings are hectic, afternoons and early morning for hobbies (two hobbies, twice a week for two kids...) When I signed up I worked from 11 am, so I had some hours to myself till I started working.

After that I found a bootcamp and kettlebell trainer who offered 6 am trainings. At the moment I work out at home. But I think Curves is a good workout. It really does work; you tone up really good.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    I think it's silly to discount a gym that's women only. I haven't been inside a Curves, but I did join a Women's Zone before I moved and I really enjoyed it. I was looking for a gym that was exclusive to women because of a few unsettling encounters at the YMCA, and they had everything I was looking for. I'm fairly certain you can ask for a tour of the facility beforehand to see what they have to offer, and if you don't see what you need there, there's no harm in a home gym! The majority of my weight loss has been from exercising at home and walks/jogs in my neighborhood. Good luck to you :)

It's not because it's 'women only' that I discount it. It's because the entire place (much like VLF) is a poorly designed money vacuum, designed to fill women's heads with bull**** and empty their wallets of money. For women who actually take the time to educate themselves, this wouldn't be much of a hurdle. For those that don't, it can become a rather expensive waste of time.
  • altinker
    altinker Posts: 173
    Options
    My mother-in-law used to use Curves. From what I understood, it was a 30 minute circuit type of routine. I am not sure if that would be your thing or not.

I am having great luck working out from home. I bought a Fluidity Bar and a bunch of barre dvds (you could just use a sturdy chair), and I'm incorporating Zumba\Hip Hop Abs\Turbo Jam\Turbo Fire for my aerobic and am having good results so far.

Good luck!
  • lyndall5311
    lyndall5311 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I havent been a member of Curves, but have been with Contours (pretty much the same), I found that I got bored really quickly with the same workout and routines each time. I got bored with the lack of cardio equipment and no free weights. here were women of all ages there.

I would save your money and buy some equipment for home.
  • upgetupgetup
    upgetupgetup Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    Observations & questions:

- How does this town not even have a rec center or pool?

- You will be IN THE BEAUTIFUL AND AMAZING MOUNTAINS. (And I am so jealous.) What about hiking as one of the cardio possibilities? Skiing in winter?

- You could add a stationary bicycle (these can be had cheaply second hand), and that with the other outdoor options should offer enough variety to keep you from repetitive strain. If you wanted, you could also get someone to put a customized, low impact series of 10-15 calisthenic exercises to do at home, rather than risk a DVD.

- Curves might actually be ok for you if free weights are really too much. Like right now I can't do regular squats or deadlifts. My modifications (doing ok with them so far) are: single leg lunges and squats, bodyweight squats, leg presses (machine), and a bit of the leg curl machine (but not too much, as that one's bad for knees). But if you are basically mobile, and take the time to learn, you can do lots at home with adjustable dumbbells and even a barbell (with guidance).

All of these though will mean taking time to learn how your injured body responds, so some help from a rehab-minded trainer NOW where you are might be useful for your planning.

edit: ha, I originally said Rocky Mountains, but I have no idea if that's true, and really all mountains are gorgeous. Oh wait you did say the Rockies. Totally jealous!

ha, also, you've already decided. Happy lifting!
  • Lexi507
    Lexi507 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    If you don't have an XBox, they are running a discount where you can get an XBox, Kinect, and Nike game for $249. They may be trying to clear out old inventory, but the Zumba games give a pretty good workout.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    They just opened a new Curves in the strip mall behind my house. I hadn't seen one up close in a while. It had the smart system. I hate to be super negative but, man, that equipment looked really cheap. Hard to imagine even a newbie being able to work that hard enough to do any good.
  • AZKristi
    AZKristi Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    Take the money you would spend at curves and buy your own weights. You can get WAY a better workout doing p90x or TRX suspension training than going to curves. I don't mean to bash curves... it is a great starting place for people who are just starting to exercise. But its extremely limited. You can't do anything there you couldn't easily do with some dumbells at home.