Running vs. walking on incline

Options

Replies

• anemoneprose
    anemoneprose Posts: 1,805 Member
    Options
    Another pro: it's a good way to get some light cardio in if you're just starting out weight lifting and can't cope with more leg-intensive stuff or impact (as mentioned), or need help with recovery.

There`s a little calorie burn, but at my weight (low end of average bmi) it`s not worthwhile for that. I do it more for motivational reasons - I like doing *something* every day, to keep my head in my body. Helps regulate my appetite too (though I know that`s not true for everyone), and it`s a good mood-booster.

(Ok, technically not a new pro, but thought I`d spell out why I like it.)
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    Walking at an incline is a fantastic workout. As an avid runner (including marathons), I often opt for incline power walking when I am looking for a fast high yield workout. I burn more calories incline power walking (~900 cal/hr at 15% incline & 5.0 pace - must hold on to front hand rail at his steep incline vs. running ~775 cal/hr at 0% and 7.2 - 7.5 pace). I find that I get more fatigued with incline power walking and have to take breaks with interval running. Additionally, as others have mentioned, you will burn more fat. If you haven't tried incline power walking, give it a try!

If you hold on to the handrail at that workload (5 mph/15% incline), then your actual calorie burn can be as much ad 65% lower than the display on the machine.
  • danigomezc
    Options
    Hi. If the incline on the treadmill reads 5, does that mean it's at 5%? Cause going steeper than 5 makes my lower back hurt :/
    Also, after walking for 1 hour at 3.5-3.8 on that incline, my HRM said I burnt 912 calories! Is it crazy? Or is that actually possible?
  • mhoeff1
    mhoeff1 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    http://anabolicminds.com/forum/weight-loss/76372-what-heck-does.html I myself have just started a tredmill fitness routinew as I am out of shape so I am doing 2.5 incline @ 2.5 mph and for 45 minutes a day hope this helps me loose some weight
  • SaraA07
    Options
    We were actually talking about this in my Physiology class last night. You burn a higher percentage of fat in a lower heart rate range but not necessarily more fat calories.

Example: You are burning 100 cal per/hr at an 80% fat burning rate which would equal 80 cal of fat. Where as if you were doing an intense work out and were burning 300 cal per/hr at 40% fat burning rate equals 120 cal calories from fat. The last time I checked 120 is greater than 80.

With that being said...doing some exercise is better than doing none!!!!!!!
  • wallerjo
    wallerjo Posts: 1
    Options
    If you take an introductory biology class, you will understand what the body uses for fuel and in what priority. Carbohydrates then fats. If you have enough oxygen intake you can complete the citric acid cycle and make craploads of ATP. If you are working really hard, you will start anerobic metabolism. Basically your body stops using oxygen to make ATP. Therefore you can't burn carbs or fats efficiently. Again, look it up. There are many ways to go about it...hiit, medium intensity, etc. if you are sweating a lot then you are completing the Krebs cycle right and burning fat. Water is a by product of the reaction.
  • Azdak
    Options
    We were actually talking about this in my Physiology class last night. You burn a higher percentage of fat in a lower heart rate range but not necessarily more fat calories.

Example: You are burning 100 cal per/hr at an 80% fat burning rate which would equal 80 cal of fat. Where as if you were doing an intense work out and were burning 300 cal per/hr at 40% fat burning rate equals 120 cal calories from fat. The last time I checked 120 is greater than 80.

With that being said...doing some exercise is better than doing none!!!!!!!

They tend to not mention this in class, but the most important thing to remember is that, whatever the percentage and whatever the exercise, even the total fat calories burned during a workout session is meaningless when looking at fat loss. First of all, the total amount of fat burned during an exercise session -- even if one burns 1000 calories in an hour -- is negligible. That's overall -- if you look at the difference when comparing two different kinds of workouts (since you will always burn a minimum amount of fat doing anything), the difference is insignificant--like less than 1/2 of an ounce.

But even that discussion is meaningless because, over 24 hours, the body changes its rate of fat oxidation so that, after 24 hours, there is absolutely no difference in total fat oxidation between individuals who burned different amounts of fat during a workout.
  • Vivien27
    Vivien27 Posts: 6
    Options
    Is a cycling bike in the gym better or worse than walking or does it have additional benefits as a different rupee of exercise. I Go walking around my estate but my partner wants a bike for home. I watch a lot of tv because I'm not working (and i love it)and I was thinking of a treadmill so as to get more exercise in. I was wondering in light of the thread if the combination of two things would be more effective. I have a lot of pain and can't do aerobic exercise videos and need low impact stuff for my knees so I would walk at an incline rather than run. Also sitting for too long gives me hip pain so I was thinking of ten mins on a bike then get off for 20 then back on if my hip allows (I'm supposed to pace my activity rather than work through pain as this is not going to go away)
    Thanks sorry if I should have started a new thread
  • firefly151
    firefly151 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I prefer walking 3.5-4 mph on a 5-10 incline (depending on my energy level that day) because my knees and feet hurt too much when I run. I've found that walking tricks my mind into thinking that I'm not really working hard, so I always walk much longer than I can run. Just my two cents. :)
  • teachermegan
    teachermegan Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I prefer walking 3.5-4 mph on a 5-10 incline (depending on my energy level that day) because my knees and feet hurt too much when I run. I've found that walking tricks my mind into thinking that I'm not really working hard, so I always walk much longer than I can run. Just my two cents. :)

I agree. I have more stamina on an incline at 4 0 than jogging. I will usually go back flat my last few minutes and run at a faster speed than I usually do...just to get an added boost at the end. Either way I sweat so I'm happy.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    So today my coworker (who is super fit and helps people lose weight all the time) was telling me that when going to the gym i shouldnt be running. He said that in order to lose weight i should be walking on an incline for 30-60 minutes and that will burn more fat than doing hardcore cardio. Has anyone heard this or know if its true?

He's sort of a knucklehead, actually.

That said, when I'm lifting really heavy but need to add a bit of cardio to hit my cutting goals, walking is better than running because it doesn't affect my recovery. So I add walking not for it's magical fat burning abilities, but because I can do it without having to drastically lower my lifts.
  • Bssh
    Bssh Posts: 123
    Options
    Azdak, each time this thread returns you return with common sense. Thank you :-)
  • Azdak
    Options

Walking doesn't beat your legs up as much. It's one of the reasons why cyclists can ride 3,4,5 hours every day and runners can't.

I've had at least 3 serious injuries in the past 4 years and incline walking is an important part of building back up and also keeping up a decent calorie burn when I can't run.

In fact I just finished burning 1026 calories in 60 min alternating 5 min running with 5 min walking using the random hill program on my treadmill. I've got the keyboard 1/2 covered with a towel while I type this so I don't sweat all over the keys.
  • katrainwater09
    Options
    I have been walking at a 5 speed and a 9 incline on my treadmil for about two weeks now. I only do it for 30 min but I'm wore out by the end. My question is I already have muscular calfs (I'm a female). Will this make my legs even more bigger?
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    ^ NO
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    What Azdak said.

But just to add - I've recently started walking on an incline for a number of reasons.

1) Convenience - I have a half mile hill literally at the end of my road and it's STEEP. I get up to 150bpm walking up it, which at 40 is pretty good going.

2) Low impact. I run, do Insanity, weights, met cons etc. But I really wanted something that would let me burn calories and fat but wouldn't waste my knees. This fits the bill perfectly.

3) Back to convenience - as it's so easy I don't find it difficult to pop out and get an hour workout in before breakfast (I'm NOT a morning person).

I walk up the hill (around 8 minutes) and down it (about 5) for a total of an hour. It's also a bit like an extended interval workout. By the top of it my calves and glutes are burning, I'm breathing hard and my heart rate is around 150+. Coming down I use different muscles but it gets back down to around 120 before I turn around and start going up again.

650 calories an hour last time I wore my HRM. Plus, my knees were fine and I actually felt refreshed after it rather than wasted (as I do after some of my runs etc).

I highly recommend walking up inclines. But there's a difference between walking up a steep hill and just tilting the treadmill a bit.

Well, you can get the treadmill up pretty steep, too.....:smile:

But you lay out the reasons why uphill walking can be such a good workout for many people. To me, one the most important is that it provides an excellent option for people whose fitness level is too high for level walking to represent an adequate workload intensity, but who do not to run or who cannot run.

Just don't hold on to the handrails.

I have to because if I got wobbly or fell off, I'd then get 0% of anything. I just want to point this out for people who complain about why is that person holding onto the rails. Some of us need to or still feel the need to after injuries. Don't judge. Just know that I know that it's less effective but better than nothing.
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    I'm totally confused right now. Just thought I'd add that... and maybe come back to make sense of this later.
  • 1capybara
    1capybara Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Azdak-
    how did you figure METs for these to be equal to 10 METs?
    6 mph @ 0 incline
    3.5 mph @ 13% incline, etc.
    We were discussing this in our office, and couldnt figure out
    4 mph @ _______% incline
    4.5 mph @______% incline
    5 mph @ _______% incline
    5.5 mph @______% incline
    I ask cause i jog / run 4.5 mph at 4.5% incline. Thx for your help :smile:
  • Azdak
    Options
    Azdak-
    how did you figure METs for these to be equal to 10 METs?
    6 mph @ 0 incline
    3.5 mph @ 13% incline, etc.
    We were discussing this in our office, and couldnt figure out
    4 mph @ _______% incline
    4.5 mph @______% incline
    5 mph @ _______% incline
    5.5 mph @______% incline
    I ask cause i jog / run 4.5 mph at 4.5% incline. Thx for your help :smile:

There are standard equations for estimating energy expenditure for running and walking. Google "ACSM metabolic equations" and you should find a reference. You have yo go through several steps to get to "METs", but I don't think it is overly complicated.
  • 1capybara
    1capybara Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    thank you Sir! :)