Hummus

Options

Replies

• teachincollege
    Options
    Skip the bread and try it with cucumber sticks.
  • mbeuchert24
    mbeuchert24 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I'm bumping so that I can look back and try to make my own :)

Has anyone used the Pampered Chef manual food processor to make it? Just wondering if it works well to do that.
  • drchimpanzee
    drchimpanzee Posts: 892 Member
    Options
    Hummus is yummus.
  • Missjulesdid
    Missjulesdid Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    I make my own and my trick is I don't put any oil in it when I make it, and I go very light on the tahini... then I drizzle some VERY HIGH QUALITY lebanese olive oil on the top.. K'pow! You can taste all the olive oily deliciousness because It's right on the top, but you're not getting as much as you would if you mixed it in.
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    It is delicious, and healthy. I have some every day as a 'dip' for my veggies. I weigh out the amount that I want to eat, so that I know it fits my goals, and then I enjoy. It helps me get my fibre goals for the day, and it has some protein in it as well.
  • purplekty
    purplekty Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    bump
  • ogiesmom
    ogiesmom Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Jessymyn
    Options
    I always add cumin to my basic hummus, which I make with the basic garbanzo beans, tahini, olive oil, fresh garlic cloves, and fresh lemon juice. It adds a little something to it.

You can also make a delicious black bean hummus by substituting black beans for the chickpeas and adding some chipotle pepper in addition to the cumin for a nice, smoky flavor.
  • NutellaAddict
    NutellaAddict Posts: 1,258 Member
    Options
    Falaffel mmmmmmmm
  • prettymorbidity
    prettymorbidity Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    girl eat dat humus! :) its good for ya healthy fats
  • sissiluv
    sissiluv Posts: 2,205 Member
    Options
    Bump for later!
  • kayemme
    kayemme Posts: 1,782 Member
    Options
    I always add cumin to my basic hummus, which I make with the basic garbanzo beans, tahini, olive oil, fresh garlic cloves, and fresh lemon juice. It adds a little something to it.

You can also make a delicious black bean hummus by substituting black beans for the chickpeas and adding some chipotle pepper in addition to the cumin for a nice, smoky flavor.

oh, yes.. i sometimes do that too! and i ALWAYS add paprika. how could i forget such important factors? oh and garlic! of course, a butt ton of garlic.
  • efirkey
    efirkey Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    If you make it yourself and use tahini and find it too bitter, then omit the tahini in your next batch. I love hummus without the tahini.

Also, hummus makes a great spread for sandwiches for a nutritious lunch.
  • honeyandmilk
    honeyandmilk Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Yes, hummus is healthy. The fat comes from tahini (sesame seed paste) and olive oil, both of which are healthy fats. Two tablespoons is between 70-80 calories, so stick to 1-2 servings with some veggies, pita chips, or in a sandwich/wrap and you're fine.

As a general PSA, don't fear fat. It's an outdated food philosophy. Fat is not inherently the problem, it's the type of fat. Stick to healthy fats - nuts, seeds, olive oil, fatty fish, avocado, and egg yolks (for the love of God, unless you have a cholesterol problem, eat the yolks!), etc.
  • CaLaurie
    CaLaurie Posts: 178
    Options
    Yes, hummus is healthy. The fat comes from tahini (sesame seed paste) and olive oil, both of which are healthy fats. Two tablespoons is between 70-80 calories, so stick to 1-2 servings with some veggies, pita chips, or in a sandwich/wrap and you're fine.

As a general PSA, don't fear fat. It's an outdated food philosophy. Fat is not inherently the problem, it's the type of fat. Stick to healthy fats - nuts, seeds, olive oil, fatty fish, avocado, and egg yolks (for the love of God, unless you have a cholesterol problem, eat the yolks!), etc.

^^^this! We need fat. Just my own experience - my weight loss really sped up when I switched from high protein, low everything else to high protein, high fat, low to mid carbs. Unfortnately, I was trying to maintain, but still good to know... :smile:

I'm totally addicted to hummus and don't have the patience to make it myself. I've found some that's 50 cals. per 2 tablespoons. Dinner is often lean ground turkey and sunflower seeds mixed into hummus, heated slightly, and eaten with lentil chips. Absolutely delish and very healthy!!!

Edited for spelling - wow, that was realy bad! :blushing:

I mean really, not realy, bad. I give up!
  • megsmom2
    megsmom2 Posts: 2,362 Member
    Options
    I make hummus every day at work...at least six gallons of it, sometimes more. And you know what? I still love it and eat it often. Just finished some while I was reading this thread!
  • Cyclingbonnie
    Cyclingbonnie Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    The fat comes from beans and seeds (sesame and chickpeas to be exact) and olive oil, those are sorta "good" kinds of fats, as fats go, and you do need some in your diet. :) I always consider the stuff I make myself at home to be healthier than the store bought ones though...

you make your own? is that a recipe i can find online or do u mind sharing yours? :)

You can buy ground chickpeas in most health food stores in there bulk department (make sure it is organic). There are lots of recipes floating around, but the basic lemon juice, olive oil, tahini, and garlic is a good jumping off point. I personally like it a little on the spicy side and I add cayenne and prefer lime juice to the lemon juice. You can add other spices and even use different kinds of beans. Black bean hummus is awesome.
  • kittyloo123
    kittyloo123 Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    The fat comes from beans and seeds (sesame and chickpeas to be exact) and olive oil, those are sorta "good" kinds of fats, as fats go, and you do need some in your diet. :) I always consider the stuff I make myself at home to be healthier than the store bought ones though...

you make your own? is that a recipe i can find online or do u mind sharing yours? :)
  • kittyloo123
    kittyloo123 Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    i make mine in the bullet blender.
    can of garbonzoes, juice of a lemon,about a tsp of salt, and a spoon of garlic. I use the juice in the can of beans to add enough liquid to make it blendable. You could add just about anything you want to flavor it.
    roasted red peppers, (jarred ones work the best) cumin, anything you see at the store, you could add.
    I really don't miss the oil, or the tahini.
    I use this for my salad dressing.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    I make my own too - super easy and delicious. I use it for dipping baby carrots, sugar snap peas, red/yellow/orange bell peppers, and cherry tomatoes - awesome snack! It's also delicious on a burger - with that and avocado I ditch the mayo.