Why is it bad to eat 1200cal?

Options
I am 5'4 and 160lb, hoping to lose 30. I was planning on eating 1200cal and exercising 300-400. Well after reading some threads on MFP, i learned tha some people say this slows our metabolism. So my question is, how many cals should i eat? and why do you need to eat back your exercise cals? doesn't that defeat the purpose of exercisin to create a calorie deficit?

Replies

• spamantha57
    spamantha57 Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    I'd look more into what you are eating than just focusing on a number.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    Some can do fine on it, some can't. Basically it comes down to not giving your body enough fuel for it's basic functions as well as much of a workout routine. It depends largely upon fat reserves as well.

For example, I've seen some pretty hardcore cases of people being put on strict 300-600 calorie diets. However, these were the extreme, and were done under nearly constant medical supervision.

Give it a try, and if you feel like ****, up the calories. It's that simple.
  • mikek333
    mikek333 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    For a 5'6" female, 1200 cal should be enough. Make sure to eat back your exercise calories.
  • Snackman88
    Snackman88 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    For the calories you need daily, do a search on Google. There are many calculators out there to assist you in reaching your goals. There is a minimum amount of calories we need in order to survive and it's different for everyone. You need to eat back the calories your burned in order to replenish your body and help aid in recovery. Constantly eating something allows your body to process calories speeding up metabolism (this means eating the right foods!). I recommend the Insanity Program if you don't like going to the gym.
  • WinnerVictorious
    WinnerVictorious Posts: 4,735 Member
    Options
    I am 5'4 and 160lb, hoping to lose 30. I was planning on eating 1200cal and exercising 300-400. Well after reading some threads on MFP, i learned tha some people say this slows our metabolism. So my question is, how many cals should i eat? and why do you need to eat back your exercise cals? doesn't that defeat the purpose of exercisin to create a calorie deficit?

as a very loose rule, you should eat more than your BMR. this is for various reasons, all related to long term health and success at losing weight.

to lose weight you want to eat at less than your TDEE. MFP will not let you go more than 1000 calories under your TDEE, mostly for long term success reasons.

if you're obese, you can get away with a larger deficit for a number of weeks or months, but eventually there will be some side effects if your deficit is continuously very large (e.g. you start losing your hair, you start feeling lethargic, you start losing muscle mass, etc.). when those side effects occur and how large the continuous deficit would have to be are going to be different from person to person.

in no case will MFP allow you to have a calorie goal under 1200. in general, 1200 is a good minimum under which most people should not go. there are some very short women whose BMRs are low enough that they could conceivably be fine at some number less than 1200, but they are special cases and not the norm.

0 < BMR < calorie goal < TDEE

if it turns out that your (TDEE - deficit) results in a number less than your BMR, then the solution is to reduce the size of your deficit or add exercise to boost your TDEE, until your calorie goal is above your BMR.
  • themommie
    themommie Posts: 5,022 Member
    Options
    I have been on MFP since july 2010 and have lost 112 lbs eating 1200 cals and NOT eating back exercise cals. I still have no idea why it is bad to do so , if you find out let me know. LOL. I think you need to experiment and do what works for you
  • kapoorpk
    kapoorpk Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    1200 calories is a generic number used to represent the BMR, which means, if you did slept all day and did nothing, you would those many calories to just function being alive. Usually, depending on your lifestyle, i.e. active or passive, an amount representing your energy consumption can be added to the 1200 to see how much do you really need for your lifestyle. So, if you eat slight less than what you need, you create a calorie deficit placing you on weight loss path. You should not eat below 1200, however, your calories net of exercise may drop to a number netting to be below 1200. For example, if you plan to eat 1700 calories and burn 600 calories in exercise, you technically drop below 1200, but that works. Use MFP to plan and it will guide you through what you need. Hope that helps. Good luck!
  • Tarek307
    Options
    Dont listen to that BS, 1200 is just fine..counting calories works, its simple..1200 + exercise you will lose weight fast!
  • RunFarLiveHappy
    RunFarLiveHappy Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    When I hit 100 pounds lost I finally increased my calories from 1200 up to 1380. It's difficult but not impossible. I eat anywhere from none to all of my exercise calories back because I just eat when I'm actually hungry, and I also try to eat as many nutrient dense foods as I can so I fill up. I do believe food is fuel, so I wouldn't recommend going lower than 1200 ????
  • tryclyn
    tryclyn Posts: 2,414 Member
    Options
    Dont listen to that BS, 1200 is just fine..counting calories works, its simple..1200 + exercise you will lose weight fast!

But if one can lose the same amount at a higher kcal why would one want to eat the lower amount? Just a thought, of course.
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options
    as a very loose rule, you should eat more than your BMR. this is for various reasons, all related to long term health and success at losing weight.

to lose weight you want to eat at less than your TDEE. MFP will not let you go more than 1000 calories under your TDEE, mostly for long term success reasons.

if you're obese, you can get away with a larger deficit for a number of weeks or months, but eventually there will be some side effects if your deficit is continuously very large (e.g. you start losing your hair, you start feeling lethargic, you start losing muscle mass, etc.). when those side effects occur and how large the continuous deficit would have to be are going to be different from person to person.

in no case will MFP allow you to have a calorie goal under 1200. in general, 1200 is a good minimum under which most people should not go. there are some very short women whose BMRs are low enough that they could conceivably be fine at some number less than 1200, but they are special cases and not the norm.

0 < BMR < calorie goal < TDEE

if it turns out that your (TDEE - deficit) results in a number less than your BMR, then the solution is to reduce the size of your deficit or add exercise to boost your TDEE, until your calorie goal is above your BMR.
    quoting this for emphasis.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    Constantly eating something allows your body to process calories speeding up metabolism...
    No.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/820577-meal-frequency-rev-up-that-furnace-lol
  • Momm22boys
    Options
    I'm new to the whole dieting and weight loss thing. I started out following the 1200 calorie suggestion and lost 6 lbs in 2 weeks. I wasn't starving, just eating mostly fruits and veggies. Then I saw all of the posts about not eating less than BMR. I upped my caloric intake to 1450 a day for the next 2 weeks. I only lost 1 lb. A week ago I went back down to 1200 calories a week and I've lost another 2 lbs. I don't feel like I'm starving at 1200 calories. I do eat my exercise calories, but that's not much. I do low impact cardio every other day because I injured my ankle about 2 weeks ago. I think a 1200 calorie diet works for some people, but not everyone. I've lost 9 lbs in 5 weeks, as well as 4 inches from my waist, so it does work for me.
  • Snackman88
    Options
    Constantly eating something allows your body to process calories speeding up metabolism...
    No.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/820577-meal-frequency-rev-up-that-furnace-lol

That is what the Insanity handbook said but here is a reputable link that will tickle your fancy. Check out "Sinless Snacking".

http://www.webmd.com/diet/ss/slideshow-boost-your-metabolism
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    No.

That is what the Insanity handbook said but here is a reputable link that will tickle your fancy. Check out "Sinless Snacking".

http://www.webmd.com/diet/ss/slideshow-boost-your-metabolism

I do find it pretty amusing that 'medical' sites now recommend stimulants and protein.

However, they obviously aren't immune to bull****. Meal timing has been proven over and over to have little to no effect.
  • Snackman88
    Options
    Agreed. I stopped the whole "meal timing" thing and made sure that I met my calorie needs. I hated waiting "x" hours to eat again. I'm hungry! So MFP helps a lot. Ultimately, Do what works best for you.
  • anetap2000
    anetap2000 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I agree
    If you eat clean , 1200 kcal is enough. Plus exercise calories.
    Some people eat much more calories( process junk food ) I don't think it's better.
    I'm 5.5 and I'm doing good on 1200 kcal
  • kapoorpk
    kapoorpk Posts: 244 Member
    Options

This is not BS, based on guidance provided by dieticians and nutritionists. You should really see one to learn what works for you. Its hard to tell what comments are credible or not. Take care.
  • NutellaAddict
    NutellaAddict Posts: 1,258 Member
    Options
    If I got a dollar every time this question...
  • paigedwatson
    Options
    My two cents...

I had been stuck at a certain weight, trying to lose my last 2 pounds while eating roughly 1200 calories per day. Less than a week after increasing my calories to 1560, I lost those two pounds. I'm not saying that you can't lose weight by eating 1200 calories per day; obviously, if you're burning more than 1200 calories, you'll lose weight over time. That's just math/science. Sometimes though - and it's different for everyone - your body will go into starvation mode and hold on to as much fat as it can to "survive." But... if you satisfy your body's primal needs of survival, it'll reward you by shedding off the excess fat you don't need!