losing weigth without go to gym??

Options
mawie228
mawie228 Posts: 17 Member
hey guys, it such an inspiration to read all your success stories! I just begin and I can see if I made the big effort, I'll reach my goals.

Just wanna ask, I'M living in a small town with no gym around, is there some of you that reach them goal and lose a lot of weight without had a gym membership, to make it at home ????

Replies

• bdhoward87
    bdhoward87 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    While I have always had a gym to workout in I know that there some people on here who have had great results from doing their workouts at home. You don't even need a bunch of fancy equipment to be successful, bodyweight exercises are your friend. (pushups, tricep dips using chairs, bodyweight squats, etc.)

I always tell people to go to Youtube to get ideas for at home exercises.

Welcome to MFP!
  • roro1925
    roro1925 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I've lost all my weight thru diet and exercise without ever stepping foot in a gym. I run outside every day and do tons of videos at home. YouTube has zillions of free workout videos as well as one of my favorite sites www.fitnessblender.com, all free!! Another popular one is www.nerdfitness.com.
    Main thing is to stay motivated, find something you love to do and stick to it!!
    Good luck!!
  • mawie228
    Options
    thanks for your advices :)
  • deladypilot
    deladypilot Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    I dont use a gym. I too live in a small town without a gym nearby. I take nice walks, I have DVDs at home. I picked up some handweights and ankle weights at walmart. I also bought a kettlebell at walmart. Youtube is a great thing as well. There are many workout videos posted there. I just ordered Zumba Exhilerate and im waiting on it to come in. If you have netflix membership there are lots of workout dvds there as well.

If you do not have handweights you can use things like cans of veggies etc.

So to answer your question, no you do not have to have a membership somewhere. Not everyone is cut out for a gym anyway. What is most important is that you do something that you will stick with after you lose the weight.
  • mawie228
    Options
    thanks you are right, I think if we have motivation we can do everythings!
  • OkRebeccaJay
    OkRebeccaJay Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Hiya, I am planning on getting fit and loosing weight without a gym this year - I would recommend signing up to this site

http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/workouts/

Its free and it's all about getting fit without a gym membership - there are loads of different workouts using just your bodyweight as resistance that you can do almost anywhere, along with videos, free e books and loads of other stuff. There are different 'levels' of workout, so there is something for most fitness levels. There is a good variety too so you can keepo your body guessing by changing it up rather than just sticking on the same thing each day on youtube and getting bored/ discouraged etc.

Hope you find this helpful, it has been to me!
  • AmykinsCatfood
    AmykinsCatfood Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    If you have an Xbox or Wii I really recommend Zumba games. It's better than the DVD because you can see if you're doing the moves right, but even if you aren't it's still a good workout. I usually burn around 550-600 calories in 40 minutes if I push myself hard. Don't get discouraged if it tells you you're doing it wrong... it's usually because the sensor isn't placed correctly or something like that. As long as you move you're going to be getting results.
  • queens2014
    queens2014 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    YouTube has zillions of free workout videos as well as one of my favorite sites www.fitnessblender.com, all free!! Another popular one is www.nerdfitness.com.

Just checked out fitnessblender.com and it's my new favourite site!! thanks!!

I've been doing the 30 day Shred on Youtube, all you need are some hand-weights and a matt. it's awesome and easy to stay motivated cause it's only 30 days! there's a finish line! haha. good luck!
  • coderedjulia
    Options
    I am not going to lie, I only work out every now and then but you can still lose weight without exercising. It's possible, I have lost 25 lbs so far.
  • Copequeen
    Copequeen Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I have a gym right across the street, but have never went. Way to expensive. I use exercise videos at home. Last summer with just those and no diet change, lost 17 inches overall. Then I got unmotivated. Past month I've been getting my food intake regulated. Learning to actually eat and eat good for me foods. I've lost 18 pounds with no exercise, just normal kid activity. I'm starting up tomorrow on my videos again. I love boxing and taebo.
  • losingweightfindingme
    Options
    I find ways to get exercise in without the gym...primarily because I don't want to pay the expense. My best investments have been a great pair of running/walking shoes, a variety of fitness dvd's (some more low-key, some are butt-kickers), and a few sets of hand weights (I have 1, 2, and 3 pounders that I bought at Wal-Mart). They are good for focused workouts (like arm days and weighted lunges on leg days) and to use during my videos. If you can't afford hand weights (although they are really cheap) you can use a couple cans of soup/vegetables, or a couple bottles of water.
  • foraubs
    foraubs Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    Hiya!

I just posted in this category today as it is my one-year anniversary -- and I've never once gone to the gym!
    https://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/878881-365-days-62-pounds-60-inches-later

Best of luck, you can do this, too!
  • kiekokay
    kiekokay Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Hi! I hate gyms!! I do yoga in a studio about 3-4 times per week and take my dogs on daily walks. Other than that, I do outdoor activities (snow shoeing, hiking, etc) whenever possible. I need to enjoy my activity in order to get exercise into a busy life. I respect those who enjoy gyms, but it is just not for me. My advice ~ find a few activities that you enjoy and make a point to incorporate them into your routine. As long as you are active and watch what you eat a gym is not a necessity for weight loss and living a healthy lifestyle!!
  • whecollier
    Options
    Hi there, I started MFP at 210lbs. I did not work out other than household chores and running around with my kids. I set-up my profile with MFP stating 0 calories for exercise and just followed my recommended calorie intake. Sure enough I lost my first 40lbs before my first long plateau. At that point, I started working out via running and having lost 40lbs I ran my first mile without stopping. I was always over weight even as a child I could NEVER run, but that was an awesome day for me brought tears to my eyes! I did not loose weight quickly like others but I was happy with the slow weight lose. Good Luck!!
  • RunningMannn
    Options
    I've been doing the opposite..I exercise and don't count calories. I've cut back on some of the bad foods and bad habits. But no way am I eating a healthy diet 5 to 7 days a week like a majority on this board. I wanted to keep it real for myself. Increase my exercising every week while I eat a little healthier....So when I reach my goal. It will be more realistic in keeping the weight off. So far I've lost 8 pounds in 8 weeks. I recently raised my calorie burn up to 4,500 a week. This is from my treadmill display, which is probably a little high. But the weight should come off because of the high calorie burn regardless. 20 pounds to go.
  • mawie228
    Options
    thanks for all the advice, I looked on the website and wow you are all right they have great advice and exercices. So I'M happy to see that some of you have been able to lose weight at home with really good result. Good luck to all of you also :)
  • jgood21
    jgood21 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    No gym for me. It is possible. I lost 101 lbs just doing workout dvds at home and counting calories. Good luck!
  • shellbellnz
    shellbellnz Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I am not planning on joining a gym. All you really need is a pair of shoes and then you can go for walks/runs. I have now got a swiss ball so I can start doing some exercises at home.
  • Sako316
    Sako316 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I live in a small town also. Check your local nursing homes... you may be surprised. Our here isnt listed, I found out word of mouth that they have a gym there open to public for a fee. Nice updated equipment, good classes and interesting people. :-)

I cant afford to go anymore. So.. Nike training center is worth checking out. Its circuit training, meaning, huge calorie burn. Its aimed at women, but I see no reason why men cant do it. I swear by torrents, YouTube and other media outlets. I type in the type of workout or who I want to work out with and select one out of the "20 minutes or longer option". A small investment in weights can go a long way.

Also, another place to check out for work outs is your local high school. Our high-school here issues out keys. They have a weight room and other equipment. As well as the track is open 24/7. I believe c25k is free in some form now for most devices if you feel you need structured workouts.

Also, a stationary bike is usually low cost or can even be found free on Craigslist some times. Depending on how much resources you have? You could barter or post an add that you need one.

Many, many ways around this. I live in an old house in a town of 900 or so. Since the floors are so old I try to work out out doors with the laptop or phone.
  • jfarnden
    Options
    Arnold Schwarzenegger's fitness blog recently put up a 1% (read 15min per day) body weight workout (no equipment needed) that you should be able to do at home no problem. There's a bunch of these 1% workouts on the internet so you can pick whichever one you want and do them at home.
    Here's the link to the one i was reading:
    http://www.schwarzenegger.com/fitness/post/your-body-is-all-you-need-the-worlds-oldest-training-method-and-a-1-workout
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!