Eating fruit = excess of sugar?

Options

Replies

• SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    Btw, 1g of carb is 4 calories, 1g of protein is 4 calories, 1g of fat is 9 calories... Fat is the problem.

Fat is not the problem. The whole decade of the nineties was spent making fat the problem, hence the whole low-fat food industry. The main result was a whole lot more fat people. The problem is eating more calories than you need. Healthy fat is a very important part of a well-rounded diet. But on the subject of this thread, I don't worry about the sugar from fruit. I eat three or four different fruits a day and am always over the recommended sugar amount.
  • texasmom6
    Options
    Eat the fruit. You should be cutting out the refined sugars that are in most processed foods. Fruit does not contain refined sugars, just naturally occurring fructose. If you want to sweeten anything, use honey.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,017 Member
    Options
    Sugar is sugar...doesn't matter what the source...the body sees it the same way. Once sugar enters the bood system a insulin response is produced, fat burning stops and fat storage begins.
    Protein elicits an insulin response so in that context fat storage also begins.
  • Izabera
    Options
    I had always loved my cup of tea with one lovely sugar that was until i started reading up on how my body functions , so now the only sugars i consume are natural resources , fruit , honey( damn expensive but delicious) -So after 30 years of drinking 5-7 cuppa's a day with sugar i completely dropped it for green tea ,

I do treat myself to a bag of minstrels now and again :wink:
  • ninhogorgfan
    ninhogorgfan Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    You think so? Cashews which are very fatty, i can eat allll day. While whole foods filled with carbs like rice and bread, i can't do. I have seen it waaay easier to get your calories from carbs than fat. Eat a whole block of cheese and you'll be hungry later,except you cant eat anything because else. Too many calories....
  • ninhogorgfan
    Options
    Its weird people say stay away from fruit, when fruititarians are ALWAYS skinny and lean. While paleo, atkins, high protein and fat dieters and their leaders are mostly fat. If you eat too much of anything you will gain weight. Most people dont even eat enough fruit to consider getting too much. 4 pieces of fruit is hardly anything. There is a website called 30 bananas a day,and those people lose weight.
  • ninhogorgfan
    Options
    You think so? Cashews which are very fatty, i can eat allll day. While whole foods filled with carbs like rice and bread, i can't do. I have seen it waaay easier to get your calories from carbs than fat. Eat a whole block of cheese and you'll be hungry later,except you cant eat anything because else. Too many calories....
    Btw, 1g of carb is 4 calories, 1g of protein is 4 calories, 1g of fat is 9 calories... Fat is the problem.

this isn't usually true. carbs are less satiating for most people . you only have to eat 2.25 grams of carbs for every 1 gram of fat in order to have the same caloric intake of carbs, and most people eat far more than 2.25 grams of carbs per gram of fat, thus their problem is carbs.

not only that, but carbohydrates, sugar especially, cause strange behaviors in dopamine receptors of the brain.

http://journals.lww.com/neuroreport/Abstract/2001/11160/Excessive_sugar_intake_alters_binding_to_dopamine.35.aspx

to where these carbohydrates are acting basically like drugs where the brain interprets intake as euphoric and the body responds to them as if they are a pleasant drug. fat doesn't do this. this leads to overeating carbs by several magnitudes.

so they aren't as filling and they cause the reward center of the brain to become overactive (leading to the brain wanting more and even addiction like behavior) and they cause insulin spikes and increased fat storage.
  • julesxo
    julesxo Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    I am always always over my sugar, but most of my sugar is not from added, it is from fruit. I don't worry about it.
  • idaholawchick
    idaholawchick Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I just read Dr. Lustig's book and he has no problem with the natural sugar in fruits and vegetables, provided you don't juice them so you have the benefit of the fiber, which in his opinion counteracts the sugar's effect.
  • LittleMy1
    Options
    What kind of smoothies have you been drinking? If you're making them yourself, I'm sure you're fine. But if you're buying from Jamba juice, then 1 smoothie can contain 1/3 your daily carb intake. Could you start doing a mix of veg and fruit smoothies? Vegetables are a lot less calories and carbs than fruit.
  • LavenderBouquet
    LavenderBouquet Posts: 736 Member
    Options
    I may have to give up fruit so I can have a sugar in my coffee.

That is a terrible idea :noway:
  • mittyrox
    Options
    2 portions of fruit per day is all you need
    if you want smoothies maybe go the protein route and save your sugars for real fruit
  • taylorwaylor
    taylorwaylor Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    Dont worry about the sugar from fruits.... You dont have to eliminate fruits! But just make sure you eat veggies too!
  • WDEvy
    WDEvy Posts: 814 Member
    Options

be warned too skimmed milk has alot of sugar in to and throws me over EVERYDAY! grrrr :grumble:

Hmm.. My skim milk has exactly 0g of sugar....
  • LeviLeDoux
    LeviLeDoux Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I maintain a ~mostly~ vegan diet and pay no mind to fruit sugars. I always way over with my morning smoothies as well, even though they're half vegetables.
  • purpleipod
    purpleipod Posts: 1,147 Member
    Options
    No? I don't even track sugar.
  • iphonemotzy
    iphonemotzy Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    My doctor said to eat all the fruit I want...now I've bee reading that it's not a good thing to do. I guess everything in moderation hey?
  • Mads1997
    Mads1997 Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options
    I don't even track sugar..........everything in moderation.
  • Craigamears
    Craigamears Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Hmm.. My skim milk has exactly 0g of sugar....

I have checked a couple of sites and 1 cup of skim milk contains about 12 grams of sugar. If it had zero then Lactose intolerant folks could drink all the skim they wanted. Lactose = sugar.
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    Options
    tumblr_lke3t0MH121qclt3z.gif