Thyroid Tested Normal?

Options
Hello everyone. Just wanted some advice/input from people who have experience with having their thyroid tested.

For most of my life I have always been thick..have extreme difficulty losing weight and gain weight very easily. I am not able to eat as much as the normal person because I can pile weight/fat on like mad.

I count calories, am aware of the types of food I put into my body, and exercise. I have tried different methods of trying to lose weight and they always fail. In the past year and a half, it has gotten even worse...I am becoming more and more overweight and trying harder and harder.

That being said, I went to my doctor about this. My other symptoms have been extreme fatigue, brain fog, muscle aches, dry brittle hair (although my nails are just fine), general unwell feeling. After a lot of research it just looks to me like hypothyroid.

He tested me and my results were:
TSH: 3.63
Free T4: 1.7

My Dr told me my thyroid is healthy because the ranges they were using were 0.30-4.7 for TSH, and 0.75-2.0 for Free T4.

I did a little research and found many resources/articles online stating that there are many ranges Dr.s go by, but it appears my Dr may be using a slightly older range, because "Endocrinologists Say TSH Normal Range is Now 0.3 to 3."
http://thyroid.about.com/cs/testsforthyroid/a/newrange.htm

After reading up even more, many patients have said their Dr says its best to keep them under 2.0 for their TSH.

If you have experience with this, do you have any advice for me? :) Should I just listen to my Dr and continually struggle to lose weight for unknown reasons or should I say something so him? See a new Dr? Whenever I bring up my weight, he doesn't seem to want to talk about it...he wants to focus on my other symptoms.

Am I just eternally cursed with a slow metabolism?

I am 5'10" and 185 lbs.

Replies

• BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    Options
    I would kill to have your TSH lol. Mine was 11.2 last time I had it checked. It's possible to lose weight with hypothyroidism even without medication, it's just harder. I wouldn't really consider 3.63 high enough to worry about but if you really want to you could see a different doctor.
  • enchantedraisin
    Options
    Dang! You look great in your photo though. Good job!
  • Gracerrr
    Gracerrr Posts: 141
    Options
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but as far as weight gain goes, isn't an UNDERactive thyroid more of a problem than an overactive one (hyperthyroidism)?

ETA: What I mean is that I thought higher levels of T hormones would imply hyperthyroidism, not hypo.
  • juliekaiser1988
    juliekaiser1988 Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    Bypass your doc and see an Endocrinologist for better accuracy.

Should have not only ran what he did, but a full picture is: TSH, T3 & T4.
  • azrrt76
    azrrt76 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I would honestly talk to your Dr about what you have read and ask him/her if they have received any new data on treating hypothyroid. Many GPs are not on the up and up with the newest treatment thresholds. Actually, even some endocrinologists don't go by the new recommendations yet. With that said, I've been taking Synthroid for Hashimoto's Thyroiditis for 3 years and my latest TSH was 2.5 and my PA increased my dosage from 100mcgs to 112mcgs. The standard thyroid tests are not the end all be all of diagnosing thyroid disorders. There are more detailed tests that can be done and it takes a practioner that has the knowledge to give a proper diagnosis.
  • enchantedraisin
    Options
    That is a good question. When you test your thyroid it kind of reads backwards and gets confusing. Here is the correct way to read your results:

"If the TSH level is below normal, your doctor may determine that you are hyperthyroid (overactive thyroid.)"

"If the TSH level is above normal, your doctor may determine that you are hypothyroid (underactive thyroid.)"
  • Gracerrr
    Gracerrr Posts: 141
    Options
    That is a good question. When you test your thyroid it kind of reads backwards and gets confusing. Here is the correct way to read your results:

"If the TSH level is below normal, your doctor may determine that you are hyperthyroid (overactive thyroid.)"

"If the TSH level is above normal, your doctor may determine that you are hypothyroid (underactive thyroid.)"

Crazy! Thanks for the info! :)
  • Ral263
    Ral263 Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    I am struggling with the same issue-- I told my GP that I thought there might be a thyroid issues since I eat VERY healthy and work out a lot, yet am putting on weight very, very quickly. She said that my thyroid was normal but actually recommended that I see an endocrinologist-- which seems odd to me, but quite honestly, I would like to have another opinion. It can't hurt. GPs have to know a little bit about every single ailment----which IDK, seems impossible. I'd rather get a second look from someone who specializes in it.

Anyway--- I totally feel your pain, it's been a constant issue for me over the last year, so I know what a struggle it can be. Best of luck.
  • enchantedraisin
    Options
    Thank you everyone! Has anyone had any success with natural supplements? Like Sea Kelp? I tried it...didn't seem to have any affect on me.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    Have you considered that it was your eating habits and lifestyle that has caused you to be "thick" you're whole life?

^ this is a serious question. Not trying to be snarky.

Eta: if it tested normal, then why is there even any question that it is a glandular problem still. Additionally you said you tried to up your iodine levels with sea kelp. Have you considered it didn't have an effect because you have a normally functioning thyroid?
  • MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Options
    Bypass your doc and see an Endocrinologist for better accuracy.

Should have not only ran what he did, but a full picture is: TSH, T3 & T4.

This. There are four numbers to look at, not two.
  • Ral263
    Ral263 Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    Have you considered that it was your eating habits and lifestyle that has caused you to be "thick" you're whole life?

^ this is a serious question. Not trying to be snarky.

This too-- one of my friends was *convinced* she had a thyroid issue because she said she watched what she ate but when I actually asked her about what she was eating, it turns out she ate a lot of processed junk and literally never touched fruits and vegetables, let alone lean protein. Just lots and lots of refined carbohydrates and nitrate-filled deli meat.

If you don't mind me asking-- what does your diet and exercise routine look like?
  • AmyFett
    AmyFett Posts: 1,607 Member
    Options
    My doctor wants my tsh under 2. I was VERY high, went undiagnosed for many years before finally catching it and attempting to fix it anyway. I am now pregnant and a 2.7. It's almost normal after 2 years of treatment. Be THANKFUL you do not have this disorder.
  • FullOfSpice
    FullOfSpice Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    I had a similar issue where for years I was feeling sluggish and showed all the symptoms. My GP kept telling me my Thyroid Levels were "normal." I took matters into my own hands and visited an Endocrinologist who had great reviews. As soon as he did a physical, checking skin, hair, size of thyroid, he suggested I had hypothyroidism. Then after checking my thyroid levels, he confirmed that even though they show "normal" range, they can be better and put me on Armour, gradually increasing until it got to a level he was confident about.

Based on this, trust your body. If you know something seems off, try a doctor who will listen and help find a solution.
  • smidget333
    smidget333 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I went to an Endocrinologist just last year to have everything checked. My numbers were high, but still fell in the "normal" range. So basically I was getting fat because I was being lazy ya know? Doctors don't like to put people on drugs they don't need which is why they are hesitant about diagnosing thyroid issues. If your results were normal, then perhaps you should try doing more cardio exercises and eating fewer processed carbs and sugars. That's what I'm doing, and its actually working.
    It's worth it to try the healthy route before turning to medications!! Good luck!! Hopefully you have a healthy thyroid :)
  • jfsears
    jfsears Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    My doctor was convienced I was hypo and the blood test kept coming back in the normal range, she sent me to a naturalpathic doctor and I had to take my temperature for a week during my cycle and it was always under the 98.6 which ment I am hypo throyid. I did the natural path treatments and its helped a lot and I actually have energy to work out and although I haven't seen the scale move a whole lot I have gone down a dress size so I know its working. I know NATE is controversial and not for everyone but its worked for me.
  • dare2love81
    dare2love81 Posts: 928 Member
    Options
    I am struggling with the same issue-- I told my GP that I thought there might be a thyroid issues since I eat VERY healthy and work out a lot, yet am putting on weight very, very quickly. She said that my thyroid was normal but actually recommended that I see an endocrinologist-- which seems odd to me, but quite honestly, I would like to have another opinion. It can't hurt. GPs have to know a little bit about every single ailment----which IDK, seems impossible. I'd rather get a second look from someone who specializes in it.

This.

Your doc should be taking into account all of your symptoms, not just the blood panel. My thyroid panel came back within the normal range, but was on the high end of normal (pushing me close to hypo). She said, if left untreated, I'd likely fall into the hypo range within the next year. So she put me on the lowest dosage of levothyroxine. Ran my tests 6 months later and my TSH was 2.4, so she didn't adjust my meds.

There's a group on here that I'm a part of, you might want to consider joining (or at least read through some of the forums) http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/770-hypothyroidism-and-hyperthyroidism

Sounds to me like you have the same thing I did...that you're not quite hypo yet, but will be soon. Good luck and hopefully if you see an endocrinologist they'll have some answers for you. :flowerforyou:
  • enchantedraisin
    Options
    I count my calories and eat within a range of 1300-1600.."bad" days can be 1800-2000 (I tend to gain at that level which is confusing after reading so much on calories and how much many eat to maintain. I've tried upping my calories after taking advice and this does not at all help my metabolism. I simply gain weight.
    I typically work out (cardio) anywhere from 30-60 minutes per day, 5-6 days a week.
    I typically eat lean protein and vegetables. I am very aware of my carbohydrate consumption...and only eat healthy carbs (think South Beach). It's funny, when I think back...I tend to gain when there are starchy foods involved...even if they are healthy. Like multi-grain bread/yams, etc. I don't eat white potatoes, rice, breads, etc...I follow low-GI eating. That being said, I tend to completely avoid carby foods if I'm trying to lose weight...because anything carby (even healthy carbs) prevent weight loss completely.
    Even so, I just don't understand why, in the end, people say calories are the most important thing to keep track of. I can count my calories and nothing will happen.... I just simply cannot go below what I am eating now, that would be starvation level, and that would have even more of an effect on my metabolism, I'm sure...

I tried Sea Kelp because of this question I am now asking all of you. I'm not completely convinced that my thyroid is in normal range if Endo's are now suggesting that the ranges now be cut off to 3.0.. Along with the other hypo-like symptoms I have experienced.
  • dare2love81
    dare2love81 Posts: 928 Member
    Options
    I went to an Endocrinologist just last year to have everything checked. My numbers were high, but still fell in the "normal" range. So basically I was getting fat because I was being lazy ya know? Doctors don't like to put people on drugs they don't need which is why they are hesitant about diagnosing thyroid issues. If your results were normal, then perhaps you should try doing more cardio exercises and eating fewer processed carbs and sugars. That's what I'm doing, and its actually working.
    It's worth it to try the healthy route before turning to medications!! Good luck!! Hopefully you have a healthy thyroid :)

OP did say they have been tracking calories and exercising. I don't think it's fair to assume she's being lazy. And yeah, it is possible to lose weight when you have hypo, but it's ridiculously hard. Especially when you don't have the energy there to begin with.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    Go to an endrocrinologist and get a second opinion and second-level testing done- make sure it's an endocrinologist that has thyroid experience, though, not someone who does 99% diabetes patients.

FWIW, you don't WANT to have thyroid disease. It means a LIFETIME of blood tests and daily medication. Frankly, I would be happy if I found out I DIDN'T have an incurable disease.