heart rate monitors?

Options
Im looking at getting a heart rate monitor but have no idea on whats the best one to get.
Any advice would be much appreciated.
Thanking you all in advance :-)

Replies

• snickelfritzzz
    Options
    I've been wondering the same thing bump !
  • hughtwalker
    hughtwalker Posts: 2,213 Member
    Options
    If you just want to know the heart rate then a basic Polar - I think the chest strap is important. I've never tried another make.
    If you want a calorie use report then I'd recommend the Polar FT40 I had for Christmas.
    If you go to gym it might be worth while asking there which models are compatible with the sensors on the equipment there.

(editted becaUse my keyboard hates me)
  • jacinta13011
    Options
    I'd want to get the calories as well
  • szonjakun
    szonjakun Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I'd recommend getting a Polar HRM, but other than that, maybe you should look for a comparsion chart and decide which are the features you need. :)
  • 1Fizzle
    1Fizzle Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    Do you want it more for calories burned or heart rate??
  • hughtwalker
    Options
    probably both, perchance?
  • lessteel
    Options
    I use polar wearlink with bluetooth connected to my razri. I use endomodo to track hr and calories burned. Endomondo automatically adds the exercise to myfitness once you link apps. :D

If you have an iPhone you would need to check for the right model.
  • xxnellie146xx
    xxnellie146xx Posts: 996 Member
    Options
    I have a polar FT4 and I love it. For those of you in the US, sears had them for $40 last week (not sure for how long). Whatever you decide on, make sure to get one with a chest strap.
  • TisheaDH
    TisheaDH Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I would recommend a heart rate monitor by Polar. I have an older model, the F11, and it has been a workhorse. It tracks calories, heart rate, your "Ownzone" and allows you to set up programs. It can sync with equipment at the gym I use and it has a chest strap. I can also upload the info and create reports and charts using my PC's microphone.

I hope you find what you are looking for.
  • jcoco
    jcoco Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I have a polar FT4 and I love it. For those of you in the US, sears had them for $40 last week (not sure for how long). Whatever you decide on, make sure to get one with a chest strap.

This!! I have owned my FT4 for over 5 yrs & it hasn't missed a beat. It tracks the basics which is all I wanted. Thanks for the heads up on the great price at Sears, I just ordered myself one as a back up if this one ever finally goes out.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options

He's asking because its only accurate for one of those functions but it's typically bought for the other function.

Care to guess which function it's good for, perchance?
  • jacinta13011
    Options
    My main reason for wanting one was to track calories used but im guessing it would have heart rate on there anyway??

Thanks all for your input everyone, Polar seems like a popular one, ill take a look :-)
  • pattycake118
    pattycake118 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I use polar. I love being able to see a number right away, and know if I'm cheating and not working hard enough. I've searched online about taking it in the pool - it did not receive signal from the monitor, so no measurements. It was a salt water pool, so it makes sense. Try amazon for good prices. It was so much more expensive in store (but that's how things go in Canada).
  • jubeixl
    Options
    My main reason for wanting one was to track calories used but im guessing it would have heart rate on there anyway??

Thanks all for your input everyone, Polar seems like a popular one, ill take a look :-)

I have used the Polar FT40 for about a year now and my wife recently purchased the FT4.

FT40 is a little more customizable and gives the type of calorie burned based on your heart rate "zone" (fat burn vs cardio). It can also be adjusted as you get more fit to give a more accurate calorie burn.

Both will give you your heart rate, "zone" training, calories burned and review-able data logs.

A cheaper option is to buy Polar's Heartlink chest strap and use it with a smart phone app.

Finally, all HRM base your calorie burn on your heart rate and for more advanced models, your VO2 max.

Hope this helps!
  • hughtwalker
    Options

He's asking because its only accurate for one of those functions but it's typically bought for the other function.

Care to guess which function it's good for, perchance?
    I am under the impression that is it accurate, full stop. Which one is it not accurate for?
  • DavPul
    Options
    it's called a HEART rate monitor for a reason. If it was actually accurate for counting calories, wouldn't the marketing dept call them CALORIES burned monitors? there's a reason the legal dept won't let them be sold as CBMs. Check the owners manual. the calorie counting feature isn't even prominently featured in the literature. it's listed like an afterthought.

Here's a terrific thread by a very smart MFP member who does use a HRM. But he understands it's limitations.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/459580-polar-hrm-calorie-burn-estimate-accuracy-study
  • Rehobobound
    Rehobobound Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    When I was researching HRMs , I found that Polar and Suunto were at the top of the list. My eyes aren't so great anymore so I ended up going with the Suunto M4 because of it's huge display. The chest strap is very comfortable, the instructions easy and the buttons uncomplicated. I've had it for about a week; so far so good.
    Good Luck!
  • hughtwalker
    Options
    it's called a HEART rate monitor for a reason. If it was actually accurate for counting calories, wouldn't the marketing dept call them CALORIES burned monitors? there's a reason the legal dept won't let them be sold as CBMs. Check the owners manual. the calorie counting feature isn't even prominently featured in the literature. it's listed like an afterthought.

Here's a terrific thread by a very smart MFP member who does use a HRM. But he understands it's limitations.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/459580-polar-hrm-calorie-burn-estimate-accuracy-study
    I understand the limitations but "ifizzle"'s question and your response could be interpreted as implying that there is a device available that IS more accurate on Calories than heart rate - if there is then please tell what it is called and how much it retails for?
  • DavPul
    Options
    there isn't a device that available at the consumer level. that's why i saved my money and didn't buy one. it's why i pop into the 23,323,643 of the threads created on this site promoting HRMs as the be all end of of fitness and try to shine a little light on the subject.

Hyper accurate calorie counting doesn't exist, and even if it did, it isn't needed.
  • forest0spirit555
    forest0spirit555 Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I have a polar HRM that counts calories. Its AMAZING! Next to my Fitbit One it is my absoulte favorite gadget. It is extremely accurate and easy to use. As I recall it was pricey but well worth it. I love using it and wouldn't trade it for the world. Great part about the one I purchased was that it is waterproof so watch never needs to be taken off. I have also heard rumors you can measure swimming calories with my model. I believe my model is a FT7. Here is a link: http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-POLAR-HEART-RATE-MONITOR-WATCH-TRAINING-COMPUTER-WITH-CHEST-TRANSMITTER-FT7-/281058198793?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item41705fc509