Biggest Loser

Options
Does anyone here watch the Biggest Loser? If so do they tell you what the people on the show eat? I just watched an old episode and the people on the show lost an average of about 7 pounds each in a week (one person lost 12 pounds!)

I know they're living in a controlled environment and concentrating exclusively on losing weight each day (ie no work or family distractions), plus they also have a lot of weight to lose to begin with, but I was just curious as to what they eat while there. I can't imagine how much food they would need to eat to fuel all the exercise they do.

I know they have doctors and nutritionists and it's a "don't try this at home on your own" situation, but I was just curious.

Replies

• MTGirl
    MTGirl Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    During one of the challenges a couple of weeks ago - one of the guys mentioned he ate 1800 calories per day. I think in general they eat 1400 - 1600 or obviously 1800 per day depending on gender and goals. That's the extent of my knowledge!
  • roxie_belle
    roxie_belle Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I love that show!!! when i was watching one the other day they said they were consuming around 1,200kcal a day. From what i remember that was mainly protein, they had their carbs early on in the day! They only lose big numbers like that because they are working out 4-6 hours aday!
  • Crysta1976
    Crysta1976 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I know a couple of people who have been contestants on the show. From what I gather, they eat a lot of steamed veggies, chicken and turkey. I don't know any specifics, but would love more information as well. I should try to get a hold of those people and get some idea of what they did on the ranch.... I will post it if I get it.
  • Ind3p3dent
    Ind3p3dent Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I am sorry to say I don't know what they eat exactly. I've seen them eating cereal and pasta. The important thing to remember is that they are in the gym literally all day every day. That effects the amount of calories they can eat a day, so we probably couldn't eat the way they do and not GAIN weight. It would be nice to be able to lose weight like them though :)
  • unknownndoll
    unknownndoll Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    http://www.webmd.com/diet/features/biggest-loser-diet

read the article... here is this also....

What You Can Eat on The Biggest Loser Diet
    The book includes one-week sample meal plans for 1,200-, 1,500- and 1,800-calorie diets, along with some recipes. Forty-five percent of the total calories come from carbohydrates, 30% from protein, and 25% from fat.

The 4-3-2-1 Biggest Loser Pyramid sets the stage for number of servings from each of the food groups:

4 servings of fruits and vegetables
    3 servings of protein -- lean, vegetarian, or low-fat dairy
    2 servings of whole grains
    1 extra of fats, oils, sweets, alcohol, or your choice, equivalent to 200 calories
  • sroseber
    sroseber Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    They occasionally show some meal they are fixing, not sure if it's real because they are basically advertising for certain products but they seem to be decent products and I don't think Bob and Jillian would be telling America to eat something that they didn't agree with but who knows.

Anyway, there are several Biggest Loser cookbooks out that are also supposed to be stuff they prepare on the campus.

I also remember one show, I think it was last season where I think they told some of the women to eat around 1200 cal. Guys were more and some of the bigger women were a little more but I don't remember how much. They also work out for like 6 hours a day I think I remember them saying.

So yeah, I don't think any of us normal people living our lives should shoot for the kind of weight loss they are getting because I don't think it would be healthy (without having the drs. and nutritionists, etc.) but probably eating the kind of food they it would still be beneficial to your weight loss. I have a couple of the cookbooks myself and most of what I've fixed has been pretty good. It's a lot of low fat, low sugar, high fiber, lean protein foods.

Hope this helps!
  • asltiffm
    asltiffm Posts: 521 Member
    Options
    I was working from home for a while and started watching that show during the day. I got inspired and started following the biggest loser diet and it, with exercise, does work. Exercise should be a part of everyday life and especially weight loss anyway. I was about to type out the guidelines for their daily diet but someone else just did. There are some biggest loser recipes and sample daily menus online if you search for them.
  • rcatr
    rcatr Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    I heart that show. Makes me cry.
    They put in no less than 4 hours of gym time a day + i think they eat no less than 1200 and no more than 1800 cal depending on the person.
    Also, I remember a few seasons back hearing that they also eat a "free" or "reward" meal after the weigh in to shock the system and also to remain somewhat normal to real life. whatever they want to eat but in moderation.
  • Rhyssa6
    Rhyssa6 Posts: 33
    Options
    Thank you all for the replies. I saw a website with before and after information on several of the contestants and I was really impressed. These people are an inspiration to us all.

I can't imagine working out 6 hours a day, 1 hour is more than enough for me.
  • mariena
    mariena Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    12,15,1800 calories per day and they work out 2hr of cardio and 1hr of weight lifting each day. I read an article by one of the doctors they keep on site.