running speed

Options
2»

Replies

• janzia
    janzia Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Technically running is when both feet are in the air as opposed to walking where one foot is always on the ground. I would not worry about speed. Just do it. increase your run time a little each week.

And to quote one of my favorite quotes by John Bingham "I am a runner because I run. Not because I run fast. Not because I run far. I am a runner because I say I am. And no one can tell me I'm not."

Don't get too caught up in running vs jogging and just do what you can. I started worrying about that when I did C25K and just about drove myself crazy with it. Just take it at a pace that you are comfortable with and speed will come with time. I'm still slow and some might think what I do is jogging but I'm learning to be okay with that, I'm doing MY best and that is what's important. Good luck!
  • oohmercyme
    oohmercyme Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    Does it really matter what you call it, as long as you're doing it?
  • losingweightfindingme
    Options
    I'm hopelessly slow with jogging. I'm also very short so 3.5 on the treadmill is a slow jog for me. I usually jog around 3.7-4.0 and I run around 5-7. I'm not going for speed when I'm out for a jog (or a run when i finally graduate myself to running). I'm also hopelessly out of shape...so I'm working my way up.
  • mygrl4meee
    mygrl4meee Posts: 943 Member
    Options
    Does it really matter what you call it, as long as you're doing it?
    I like that. Thanks.
  • LisaO85
    LisaO85 Posts: 152
    Options
    I'm only 5'4", I have had 3 knee surgeries and a hip that doesn't always cooperate. I run a 10:30 minute mile and my husband runs a 7 minute mile. The only difference between us is he gets to greet me at the finish line. Don't worry about speed some people are going to be faster than you, but there will also be people slower than you wishing they could go as fast as you do.

Just go out and enjoy yourself.