Rolled oats recipees?

Options
I made rolled oats today in the microwave and it was terrible. I added a half a teaspoon of sugar and some cinnamon to it and it was still awful. How do i make this crap taste good?

I've had oatmeal before and i've loved it... so i'm obviously missing something here. (prob a ton of sugar)

Replies

• Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    Mostly sugar. Oatmeal has very little taste on it's own.
  • losingweightfindingme
    Options
    Microwaving it always tastes terrible. I make mine in an actual saucepan and add a bit of maple syrup and some brown sugar.
  • Cocotte30
    Cocotte30 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I would suggest you try Steel Cut Oats. It has to be cooked on the stovetop for about 25 min. Has a thick consistency, a bit chewy, but very satisfying. It is more in its natural state. I put a serving of fresh fruit or some unsweetened apple sauce with some cinnamon.
  • AfreezeAdventure
    AfreezeAdventure Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I make oatmeal bars with Honey, Goji Berries, pumpkin seeds, almonds (basically any nut).. Cook em and cut them into 12 squares (roughly 140 calories a square) I eat them as a nice healthy snack. You can also add High protein nuts, or protein powders to make them into a nice protein bar.
  • smh1067
    smh1067 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Something I've found I really like is overnight oats. 1/2 c milk 1/2 c oats (any kind) is the base. You can pick different mix-ins. I really like cocoa powder, a Tablespoon gives it a rich chocolate taste, and I mix in a little sugar free coffee syrup to sweeten it up a bit. I also like the base mixed with a tablespoon of low sugar strawberry jam (you could probably use sugar free too) and a few drops vanilla. You can toss in peanut butter, fruit, a little brown sugar, whatever suits your fancy and your calorie budget. Then you just mix it all up and stick it in the fridge overnight. I've found 12 hours is best for it to soak up all the extra fluid. I like it cold, but you can warm it up in the microwave if you want. You can mix up a few days worth too and it'll stay good in the fridge.

If you don't want to go through all that, you can try adding a little vanilla or cocoa powder or fruit to your oatmeal to give it a bit of flavor before you cook it. And it might seem counter intuitive, but a little pinch of salt can do wonders in oatmeal to boost flavor.
  • NaurielR
    NaurielR Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    If you're not diet soda phobic, microwave it in diet soda/ juice. Seriously. It makes it nice and sweet and also adds flavor

I have a couple differs versions that I go to.

Diet Ginger Ale, with chopped, cooked apples, raisins, apple pie spice, and almonds

Diet cranberry juice with craisins, chopped cooked apples, cashews, orange extract, and a pinch of cinnamon

Diet cherry soda, cherry flavored craisins, almonds, chopped cooked apples flavored with cherry extract, and "cherry vanilla" Duncan Heinz frosting mix in.

I use at less one can for 3/4 cups of rolled oats. I nuke if for 2:45 minutes at full power, stir it, and then let it cool down a little. Then I add a little more liquid (more soda if I'm using a bottle and have soda to spare, or just plain water if I used a can) and cook it for three more minutes. When you cook it the first time in soda, it will be all frothy at top. Don't worry. Just stir it and let it set.
  • AuntieMC
    AuntieMC Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Mpol2
    Mpol2 Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    If you're not diet soda phobic, microwave it in diet soda/ juice. Seriously. It makes it nice and sweet and also adds flavor

Diet Ginger Ale, with chopped, cooked apples, raisins, apple pie spice, and almonds

Diet cranberry juice with craisins, chopped cooked apples, cashews, orange extract, and a pinch of cinnamon

Diet cherry soda, cherry flavored craisins, almonds, chopped cooked apples flavored with cherry extract, and "cherry vanilla" Duncan Heinz frosting mix.

I use at less one can for 3/4 cups of rolled oats. I nuke if for 2:45 minutes at full power, stir it, and then let it cool down a little. Then I add a little more liquid (more soda if I'm using a bottle and have soda to spare, or just plain water if I used a can) and cook it for three more minutes. When you cook it the first time in soda, it will be all frothy at top. Don't worry. Just stir it and let it set.

Wow, what an interesting idea. Gotta try this.
  • MrsDrk
    MrsDrk Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I love it with fruit. I almost always throw frozen berries or fruit of some sort. I also add a little REAL maple syrup or honey. Yum!
  • NaurielR
    NaurielR Posts: 429 Member
    Options

Diet cherry soda, cherry flavored craisins, almonds, chopped cooked apples flavored with cherry extract, and "cherry vanilla" Duncan Heinz frosting mix.

Wow, what an interesting idea. Gotta try this.

It will change your oatmeal eating life. It gives it so much flavor and good sweetness.
  • ashleyh3156
    ashleyh3156 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    If you are a peanut butter fan add a tablespoon. It makes such a difference. I use natural peanut butter so still has some sugar but not a heaping amount.
  • tenshiblue
    tenshiblue Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I make mine over the stove. I add in coconut oil and a little maple syrup to sweeten it. It tastes good this way. Coconut oil helps with my hunger. I've gone for 4 hrs after eating this without feeling hungry :)
  • geojeepgirl
    geojeepgirl Posts: 243 Member
    Options

Thank you thank you......I am sooooo trying this. Wonder if you can use old fashioned oats
  • TrailRunner61
    TrailRunner61 Posts: 2,505 Member
    Options
    I use 1/2 cup old fashioned oats. Not the quick cooking variety. I boil 1 cup of water, add the oats, stir, turn it down a bit so it doesn't boil over, let it cook for 3 minutes. To that, I add 1/2 cup crushed fruit like bananas, blueberries, strawberries, blackberries, whatever you have..(if its frozen, I nuke it for a minute then crush it with the bottom of a glass), I add some Splenda or honey and a bit of cinnamon. It is delicious and very filling and it really doesnt take that much time!
    I also make refrigerator oatmeal. You mix it up the night before and it's ready for you in the morning! There are a lot of recipes at Skinnytaste.com.
  • Tryinonemoretime
    Tryinonemoretime Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Thanks!
  • Rocknut53
    Rocknut53 Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    I make mine on the stove and depending on my mood I add dried fruit (cranberries, blueberries, cherries), a few nuts, or raisins and cinnamon. If I use cranberries I add a little orange extract. The possibilities are endless. My husband will even eat it and he's a "bacon & eggs every morning sort of guy.
  • DGPebbles
    DGPebbles Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Great ideas. Going to try some of these.