Hi! New and a bit intimidated

Options
Not sure really where to start. Or how to start. Trying to learn about good foods. I was raised to finish my plate and have a hard time throwing food away. I will still eat even when I am full and not know why. I am trying to start eating good foods, but was not raised with very many ethnic foods or vegetables. My mom always cooked stuff like steak and mashed potatoes, biscuits n gravy and bacon. I guess american diner food. She was a cook in restaurants and diners, like burger joints. I have about 100 lbs to loose.

Replies

• mickeylover2001
    mickeylover2001 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    :smile: Congratulations on starting... It's always hard to start anything and you have made a choice to be healthy and to look out for yourself we will be here to support you in anything you need. I also need to loose 60 lbs more and all together we will achieve our goals. Take it one day at a time and always write down what you eat so you can't forget. The way I stared was eating anything I wanted to but only to my calorie goal. I've lost 30 lbs so far and it's a struggle but last time I weight myself I was really proud of how much I have lost.
  • CristinaL1983
    CristinaL1983 Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    One of the best things I've found is to look at portion size, only put the right portion size on my plate and put the rest in ziplock bags or tupperware and put them straight into the fridge before sitting down to eat. It helps with the "finish everything on your plate" impulse and after a while, it seems crazy to eat anything more than what you get used to.

Other than that, best of luck to you!!
  • jzammetti
    jzammetti Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    Welcome aboard the MFP train! Always remember that you CAN do this.

I would suggest you start with regulating serving sizes - some people measure everything they eat. I do not do this, but I do measure a lot of my food. Also,keep your potein high (around 100) and water, water, water.

Best of luck to you!!!
  • MelanieSpicegurl
    MelanieSpicegurl Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Hiya.. Welcome !!
    I have also been raised eating everything on my plate .. Plus dessert and a lot of fast food ..
    I am also an emotional eater .. I have about 50 lbs to lose .. My first goal is 30lbs to be realistic ..
    But i am changing my ways ..
    I WILL do this ..
    It's a whole lifestyle change for me..

Track everything you eat ..
    Even the bad stuff ..
    You can see when you tend to get off track ..
    It really helps to be 100% honest .. You are only fooling yourself!!
    And above alllllll else drink a tonne of WATER .. Let it be your new best friend..

Good luck!!
    Feel free to add me ..
    ;o)
  • slingshotsparro
    slingshotsparro Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I have the similar problems. I feel compelled to finish my plate, no matter what is on it or how much. Especially if I filled my plate myself. Occasionally, I'll have to ask my boyfriend to tell me that I don't have to finish my plate. I have to hear it out loud or I'll eat till I am sick. My boyfriend is really supportive. He understands.

You aren't alone. That is the beauty of these forums.

You can add me if you want to. The more the merrier, I say!
  • 3foldchord
    3foldchord Posts: 2,918 Member
    Options
    Glad you joined!

I like finding new recipes to try! I am going to an I Dian Grocery store this week to get some new things.

Have fun trying new foods!
  • Tryinonemoretime
    Tryinonemoretime Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    In my opinion..... you have made a super first step in coming to MFP! This site has helped me greatly!
    Your family sounds like me and my family. Lots of good food and not much thought about nutrition. Food was love at our house. And we loved a lot!
    All I can say is get some friends (feel free to add me if you like.) and track your food. Use the food diary. I didn't at first. I just used the quick tool and added calories but the data base has everything!!! I like it much better now that I can see my carbs, fats, and other goodies. I did keep my diary private until I got comfortable with my friends. Your friends will be your safety net. They will support you (or should) and keep you honest!
    MFP will figure out a lot of the numbers for you. Just start!
    You will be so happy you did.
    Good luck to you on your journey! I wish you the best!
  • chellechelle38
    chellechelle38 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    just remember you owe it 2 yourself 2 be wastefull!!!! you can always freeze leftovers so you don't have 2 throw it away........ GOOD LUCK !!!
  • DaisyDi65
    DaisyDi65 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me as a friend! I have 100+ to go. I grew up with meat and potatoes, clean your plate mentality and don't forget dessert! I've followed map for a month and have done great. Include exercise, it really does make a difference! Get some friends and they will help motivate you. Good luck and know you can do it!
  • TheDarlingOne
    TheDarlingOne Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    Hey pal so glad to have you join the community! :)

I am 1 month in now - and I lost 9lbs. Lordy, I have over 200lbs to lose in all - but I don't fuss with that right now.

What i'm finding helpful is setting my goals SMALLER so I don't get intimidated. Right now....my 1st goal is 17.5lbs. I'm almost there after only 1 month and that's an awesome feeling. Then I plan to start chipping away by 25lb increments. Waaaaay easier in my opinion then staring down the big two double oh. lol.

Also - the MAGIC food I discovered this month was BABY SPINACH! You can eat 4.5 cups of that stuff and only get 20 cals! Like that tobasco sauce commercial on the radio (I don't know if it's only a Georgia one but it's funny)..."I put that *hit on everything" lol.

and be realistic - if you have a "casual day" as i call it - be a bit more streamlined the next day - all about balance and something you can do forever to be the best you yet :)
  • 5pmsomewherenow
    5pmsomewherenow Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    #1 get yourself some healthy goals: it's not about getting "skinny," but making some lifestyle changes that you will be able to maintain for the long term. Fill out your MFP profile with some goals and inspirations. Tell us a little about yourself. The friends you make now will stay with you through your journey. Some examples of "healthy-life-style" goals? Walk 10,000 steps per day, change eating habits to 5-6 feeding times instead of ____., Get 5-6 servings per day of whole, fresh, fruits and vegetables; cut back on alcohol to ___oz per day, or better: none.

#2 Set a plan, by doing some research on where you are, and where you want to be along the way. "By May 1st, I'd like to accomplish the following healthy lifestyle goals: ____." Then set some more goals for the next few months. Go to the library and get some help: there are great books out there on eating healthy. For one, I've found that following the simple idea of eating foods that are good on the glycemic index, can provide hunger strategies that work for a busy lady, and allow for added activity to better the lifestyle. Read ALOT. Combine the books with websites that help with motivation and up-to-date info.

#3 Log everything -- be honest and log it. "if you bite it, write it." This is the only way to really hold yourself accountable. It's a diary of what is going on in your life- use it. Weigh youself ONCE a week, on the same day and RECORD it - good, bad or the same. This resource is only as true a record as you use it for -- put in your measurements, and get a "before" picture loaded into your profile.

#4 Choose a handful of FRIENDS, not a hundred. Try to stick with people who are in the same boat as you: Age, challenges, etc. You'll want to be able to support those who support you, with encouragement, updates, etc. A few active friends who "know" your challenges and successes will be more valuable to you than 388 "friends," on MFP. This is not Facebook.
  • kaytiecakes
    kaytiecakes Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    When I started, I logged everything I ate and I didn't try to eat any differently. Because I was able to see everything I ate in a day, I quickly realized where I needed to make changes and adjusted as I went along. Don't feel like you have to immediately restrict yourself. This isn't a race, and this shouldn't be temporary. You have to gradually change your thinking and habits so that it becomes part of who you are. Treat MFP as an aide, not something that could ever become an enemy. Good luck!
  • KathrynCatlady
    KathrynCatlady Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I am definitely among the masses who measure out what they are eating almost all the time. It helps keep myself accountable, because I know exactly what is going into my body. I also portion out leftovers in my fridge to take to work, which saves time and helps me budget my numbers through the day.
  • AnnaMolly17
    AnnaMolly17 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Welcome and congrats on the start of your new journey. I think we all felt the same way when we started, a little nervous and intimidated, but once you notice yourself eating healthier and the numbers coming off the scale, it all gets easier and more exciting. Good luck! And feel free to add me if you need support :)
  • WildcatMom82
    WildcatMom82 Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    I grew up in a similar environment. I've been working on changing myself and my attitude towards food for years now and I can tell you what worked for me. Start off not changing anything. Log what you would normally eat in a day, start to see what calories are in what you're already eating, then start cutting back slowly. A couple hundred calories at a time. That made it a LOT less overwhelming for me. For awhile I still ate the same foods, just smaller portions, only recently have I started trying to focus on the types of foods. Having kids really motivated me to look at WHAT I was eating in addition to how much. No matter what you do make sure it's workable for you and commit to it! Someone posted on a friend's profile recently that consistency is more important than perfection. As long as you're logging in and striving to change you'll get there!
  • OddballExtreme
    OddballExtreme Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    Welcome aboard. You've already taken that first important step. You know what you need to do. When I started on MFP, I had already lost the first 30 pounds, but then I started tracking my foods much better with MFP. Because of this, I've had no trouble tracking everything and watching my own numbers.

Ever since I was diagnosed with Type 2 Diabetes last year, I took that first step to make myself healthier: Start. Now just over a year later, I'm 50 pounds lighter. I won't be going back, either. Trust me, you can do this, but you've got to want to do it. The first few weeks won't be easy, but once you get used to the change, it'll get much easier.

Good luck with your journey! :happy:
  • RobynMWilson
    RobynMWilson Posts: 1,540 Member
    Options
    Don't feel intimidated! I was raised on Spam, Taylor pork roll and hamburgers!

As for finishing your plate, fill a smaller plate. That's what I do! I'm sending a friend request now. The more you surround yourself with fitness-minded people, the more you will earn about quinoa and salmon and blah blah blah. Plus, you can health up old diner favorites!!