migraine headaches/weight loss

Options

Replies

• PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    Migraines run in my family and I definitely inherited them. A few years ago, I'd get them more and more often and they could last up to 2-3 days. But since losing weight and getting more regular with exercise - I have found my migraines are rare.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,121 Member
    Options
    This may sound a little crazy, but my wife had severe headaches almost daily. Finally we switched dentists and she suggested orthodontics. Completely gone. Worth looking into.

Teeth grinding and extreme anxiety can bring about stress or cluster headaches...migraines are a bit different...they are mostly about vascular constriction/dilation, in my research....I had a dentist insist it was ortho, but in my case, it wasn't.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    You have gotten all the great responses!

1. Migraine Diary
    2. Elimination diet (gluten seems to be a biggie, as are cheese, caffeine, nuts (or rather, peanuts), chocolate, citrus.)
    3. Barometric pressure changes
    4. Hormonal (female cycle)
    5. Stress
    6. Spinal problems

Try any and all of these to learn about your headaches. I got (diagnosed) migraines for 20 years, and ended up in the ER myself, so I literally feel your pain. There are good treatments available, keep looking.

Mine were 1. Hormonal and 2. Barometrically induced.

Most of them went away when I went through menopause, but they were really bad throughout my late 30s, all of my 40s and into my early 50s. But I've known other people to get relief through elimination diets and spinal manipulation. Best advice? Take the meds as soon as you feel one coming on. They don't go away by waiting.

One more thing: You can be checked for a heart condition called PFO...Patent foramen ovale..it is a small hole in the heart that causes migraines in some people.

Good luck.

Mine can be triggered by nuts and too much caffeine as well as stress. Once in awhile, I noticed that a small migraine would start with barometric pressure changes.

The last really bad one I had about 4-5 years ago lasted almost 4 days and I ended up getting a severe case of vertigo, which still hasn't completely gone away :(
  • kelly_rick
    kelly_rick Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    My gp suggested trialling beta blockers as migraine prevention after chronic suffering for years! I've been on them 18 months and I've had 2 in that whole time. Both of those occurred in the same week as I forgot a tablet.
    I take one tablet every night. Its the best thing I could of ever done!
    Google it.... Beta blockers for migraine!
  • stacylperry
    stacylperry Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Thank you, ALL of YOU ! THANK YOU EVERYONE !!!!!
    I kept my history very brief not to bore any of you. But I left out information, important information...
    Im so sorry!
    Ive tried the migraine medications (imitrex, maxolt ect.) and found I was allergic to them , my throat closes and I cant breath.
    Ive tried chiropractors, and acupuntorists for years at a time with all the hope in the world. But no lasting relief.
    Ive tried massage therapists, electric stimulation.
    Ive BEGGED my primary physician to take blood tests at different times of the month to try to rule out possible hormone imbalance connection, (supposedly Im fine).

Thats how I got the referral to the nerologist. Thats how all of the neurological tests were taken... and I was tested further for psuedo tumor ceribri, and meningitis. More blood work, and BOTOX SHOTS . PAIN SHOTS in the head, pain medication to keep the worst pain under control...
    SUNGLASSES, EARPLUGGS, COLDPACKS, EYES CHECKED, contacts,
    MENSTRUAL DIARIES, SLEEP DIARIES, MEDICATION DIARIES, change in diet, nutrition classes, weight loss.....
    And the migraines keep on coming EVERYMONTH EVERY MONTH ... and the doctors tell me my blood work is within "normal"
    range.
    So I thought Id ask all of YOU smart people about weight loss and migraines
    :flowerforyou:
    I really need some answers....
  • 3foldchord
    3foldchord Posts: 2,918 Member
    Options
    My gp suggested trialling beta blockers as migraine prevention after chronic suffering for years! I've been on them 18 months and I've had 2 in that whole time. Both of those occurred in the same week as I forgot a tablet.
    I take one tablet every night. Its the best thing I could of ever done!
    Google it.... Beta blockers for migraine!

I may have to talk to my dr about that! I get tachycardia occasionally, and the beta blockers would help that too.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    Have you ever tried supplementing Magnesium?

Also, mine get triggered if my carbs are too low.
  • TrailRunner61
    TrailRunner61 Posts: 2,505 Member
    Options
    Oops! I can't believe I forgot this. Everytime I was in the ER with a migraine, my blood pressure was sky high.. They would say that it was high because of the headache. Well I mentioned that to my neurologist and he had me monitor my blood pressure. Come to find out, half the time it was normal 120/60ish, and sometimes it went as high as 190/110!! He put me on verapamil for high blood pressure and it has helped some. I have no side effects, the blood pressure is now completely normal. Weight loss, by the way, did not allow me to go off the Verapamil. I'm assuming I'll have to take it for life.
    Anyway, make sure that your blood pressure isn't going up and down without your knowledge because every time it's up, it causes damage to your blood vessels and internal organs. You can buy an automatic blood pressure monitor that is very easy to use. Check it a few times a day and log it so you know if it's fluctuating.
    I hope this helps and I pray you get relief soon. It's very hard to work out with migraines. :(
  • xiofett
    xiofett Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    When you say you've tried massage therapists, do you know what modalities they used on you? The one that seems to give the best results (at least in my experience) is craniosacral, but a combination of neuromuscular and trigger point therapy might also help.
  • EmilyJackCO
    EmilyJackCO Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    I get them really bad, and I have since I was 7 years old. I get the numbness, paralysis, auras, severe pain, etc. My problem is that they appear to be completely random. The ONLY thing I've ever been able to attribute them to is when I undergo a period of prolonged stress, and when that stress ligtens up and things return to normal? Three or four days later - SLAM.

The past few months have been *really* hard, and I've had them about every 7-10 days since October. However, the one that hit me three weeks ago, so severe that it landed me in the ER and lasted for 6 days... I haven't had one since. It's only a matter of time for me though. No medication has ever stopped or prevented them, including betablockers or ergotamines. And they magically got a magnitude worse when I turned 35.

the only thing that I have found that regular massage therapy helps keep them at bay a little bit. But that's not always doable, and I end up regretting it. But I think that's more to do with my stress levels than anything physical. I've had them so much of my life, I just plod on through for the most part, unless I get to the point where I can't keep water down. I will modify activities, but I still work and participate as best I can. I wouldn't have a life at all if I didn't.

Migraines are one of the biggest mysteries in medicine. They ended up eventually tying my mom's to her seizure disorder, of all things. The last year of her life, they found that if she took 3 Benadryl and 2 Excedrin Migraine and one of her pain pills at the onset (at the very beginning of her auras), they could be prevented. So I'm going to try that... sort of. My cocktail will be 2 benadryls and 3 Advil Migraine.... I can't take Tylenol. We'll see how it goes...
  • dontdomornings92
    dontdomornings92 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Could they be related to your period?
  • sissiluv
    sissiluv Posts: 2,205 Member
    Options
    When my blood sugars get low, not low enough for me to feel significant cognizant dissonance but enough to realize I've waited too long to eat, I'll get migraines because of that...Not horrible ones but my head will pound if I move and light and excessive noise make me flinch. They usually go away after I've eaten though.
    It's a pretty crappy guess but if I had to, I'd guess hypoglycemia. I'm sorry! I hope you figure it out soon because that sounds absolutely horrible. D":
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,121 Member
    Options
    I just wanted to come back and say how Great all of these suggestions are.

I've read so much on migraines, and I've tried many/almost all of these suggestion. To the original poster - Keep Trying!! All of these suggestions are worth exploring.

I hope you find relief.

After all of the above - and being on every drug so far suggested, I still say - take the Triptans as soon as you feel one coming on.

Unfortunately, the Triptans are super expensive....I found Maxalt 10mg to be the fastest, without the heart-rush that Immitrex Injections produced. Maxalt is dissolved under your tongue. Expensive - but worth it if it means you can go to work. It works in 20 minutes as compared to the 1-hour time frame of Immitrex pills. Immitrex Injections were too intense for me....they worked- like immediately, but the head and heart rush were scary to me.
  • lisamurray247
    Options
    Hi there have you tried medication, if i dont take my nadalo im from new zealand will be different in other countries i get migraines every day, its horrible to think i have to take two tablets a day for the rest of my life but its worth it i still get the odd migrines but nothing compared to what i used to
  • spisea
    spisea Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I've been there.

I don't see Petadolex on your list of things that you've tried. Its a preparation of butterbur. Also, I use Saint John's Wort. (Make sure it doesn't interact with any medications you are taking before trying this one.)
  • spisea
    spisea Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    When my blood sugars get low, not low enough for me to feel significant cognizant dissonance but enough to realize I've waited too long to eat, I'll get migraines because of that...Not horrible ones but my head will pound if I move and light and excessive noise make me flinch. They usually go away after I've eaten though.
    It's a pretty crappy guess but if I had to, I'd guess hypoglycemia. I'm sorry! I hope you figure it out soon because that sounds absolutely horrible. D":

I get migraines when my blood sugar gets low, but it sets things into motion and I have a migraine for up to a week after each incident. You are lucky!
  • SanteMulberry
    SanteMulberry Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    Haven't looked through all the recommendations but I have read that migraines could be related to a magnesium deficiency. I used to get terrible migraines and when I started taking a cal/mag supplement, they got better. Once I twigged onto Epsom salts baths (Epsom salts are pure magnesium sulphate) they disappeared completely. You take the Epsom salts in through your skin, if you are deficient. Put two cups of Epsom salts (they are very inexpensive) per bath (of 15 minutes duration). You should make the water as hot as you can stand it (without burning yourself, of course). Aim for two baths per week. Even if they don't cure your migraines like they did mine, they are wonderfully relaxing. I take my bath before bedtime and pour myself into bed--and get a great night's sleep. :smile:

Magnesium appears to be something of a "miracle mineral" in the bodily processes that it aids. It also has a connection to energy levels and serotonin levels in the brain. It is the original "feel good" tonic. Many people swear by hot mineral spring baths for that reason.
  • bjsissel54
    Options
    I suffered from migraines for 36 years. I found a energy healer that was trained my Carolyn Cooper. She healed the root of the problem that was causing the migraine. I have not had a migraine in over a year now. I used to get them at least 3-4 times a week and was on pain pills and shots. Also 10-15 years ago I was hospitalized with one that had lasted 38 days. They sent me to Michigan Head Pain Clinic where I learned what my triggers were, which included foods and msg and nitrates. I reduced them to about 1 a week after that. You might want to check out their web site at www.mhni.com for ways to find your triggers or even the best idea I believe is Carolyncooper.com and find an energy healer near you. You can email me for more help if you would like at bgsissel@gmail.com
  • meganhat1
    Options
    I have the same beginning and ending weight loss goals as you. And I have suffered from migraines since I was 13. Been to the neurologists and had scans and whatnot, they couldnt find anything wrong either. She suggested that I lose weight as well, so here I go. Im just now getting started because the migraines have gotten worse. No pain medication helps, and lord knows Ive tried em all. The only thing that helps is laying in a cold dark room and tough it out through the pain.
    Im hoping that the weight loss will help. And this time I AM GONNA STAY WITH IT! I have too.
    I hope you find something that works for you, I know how debilitating migraines are.
    Good Luck!
    Megan
    P.S. Feel free to add me as a friend.
  • SanteMulberry
    SanteMulberry Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    What the hell kind if neurologist told you toxins in fat caused your migraines???

Did the doctor not have you keep a headache diary? Talk to you about possible triggers? Migraines are very complicated. They have nothing to do with fat.

Many chemicals (such as lead, many pesticides) are lipophilic--easily absorbed by fat, not so much by water. This mean that they can get stored in your fat cells for quite a long time and without too many bad effects. Fat is pretty good at keeping itself stable and out of the blood stream. However, if a person starts to quickly lose weight (like on a crash diet), the fat is used up for energy and all the lipophilic compounds are released into the body. This is when bad things start to pop up. Did you have a blood test done?

Not saying that this is the case here, but there is a precedent for poisoning associated with rapid weight loss. There was also a House, MD episode on this. XD

I remember reading about this a number of years ago. I also remember an article about some dolphins that washed up dead, on the beach (in S. California or something). Their normal fish supplies were a bit thin that year, but scientists were baffled, at first, because the animals had almost certainly not starved. When they did autopsies, they discovered that the dolphins had died of liver and kidney failure, from what seemed to be toxic overload. They theorized that some of the dolphins had been using up their fat supplies at a very accelerated rate and that stored toxins were being released into their blood stream--- overwhelming their detoxification pathways.