Going to the UK

Options
Leaving on an unplanned week trip to London on Saturday and am worried about how to continue with my food choices. I have never been there so I am not sure what to expect. How hard is it going to be to stay within my calories and to log in while there?

I know that all the walking during site seeing will help with my exercise. Are the nutritional values posted like here in the US? I'm worried, I've been doing so good and do not want to mess up. I want to continue on my loss and not come back and see that I gained instead!

Replies

• Chavtastic
    Chavtastic Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Your biggest problem will be getting enough calories! The UK is not known for it's food if you get what I mean. There's a good chance you'll dislike much of what you eat.
  • Yurippe
    Yurippe Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    My mom went to London a few years ago. She said they served peas with every meal. Blech.
  • red01angel
    red01angel Posts: 806 Member
    Options
    Your biggest problem will be getting enough calories! The UK is not known for it's food if you get what I mean. There's a good chance you'll dislike much of what you eat.

This is true IF you stick to traditional British places.
    It's not like the only choices you'll have in the UK are their ethnic dishes...just like you aren't stuck eating only American food in America. London, especially, is home to incredible restaurants representing all forms of global cuisine, so you can find almost anything you want. That being said, use your intuition - if it's smothered in gravy it's probably not good for you...

PS: You also might want to take into account that you'll likely be walking quite a bit more than you normally do.
  • ClareRce
    ClareRce Posts: 79
    Options
    I can assure you that the food there is every bit as good, if not better and often healthier than you can get in the US. For a start, the fresh bread isn't loaded with sugar which saves a lot of calories. I don't think that British people have such a sweet tooth as the Americans and, as a result, the food probably won't be as sweet as you may be used to, which is a good thing if you're dieting. They have all the food that you can get here, fresh salads, wraps, cottage cheese, all the fruits and vegetables you can buy here. Of course there are things like fish and chips, which you can also get here, which you will obviously avoid. In fact, Indian food is so popular in the UK that it overtook fish and chips as the national dish!

It won't be a problem at all.

And peas are good for you!
  • abredbenner
    abredbenner Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I'll be going in 2 weeks and am worried. It is not so much the British food as it is eating out 3 times a day for 2 weeks. I will be eating at an on-site cafeteria for lunch. It seems like most of their sandwiches are mayo based - bleh. I will make the best choices I can and try to get my workouts in. For dinners, I try to do Indian as much as I can. I need to do my research on the best Indian choices to make.
  • melville88
    melville88 Posts: 137
    Options
    Hi, I'm from the UK but I haven't been to America so not sure what's different- except obviously brands of things! But nutritional information is shown on alll store bought sandwiches, salads etc- and can be seen on any food you buy in a store. Restaurants may be able to offer you nutritional information if you ask them, or at least be able to give you a general idea. There are loads of places to eat in London- quite expensive though compared to the rest of Britain. If you're looking for light lunches, try Marks and Spencer's stores for things like pre-packed sushi, sandwiches and salads- they do a count on us range which are especially for dieters. When eating out in most restaurants you get a choice of chips (fries), jacket potato, mash or new potatoes- go for new, these are just boiled. Don't worry, we don't spread lard on our food or anything, just use your common sense with things: no fish and chips, curries... avoid takeaways unless it's sushi. Do look in stores like tesco and marks and spencers for sandwiches etc, and when you eat out go for baked fish dishes or anything you feel you could enjoy guiltlessly. x
  • denisemac
    denisemac Posts: 5
    Options
    In England a year ago and the food was terrific- it's really quite good. Lots of international cuisine to choose. You will intuitively know to probably avoid the shepards pie and the fish and chips b/c you probably wouldn't eat them here either. Lots of calories and deep fried. That said, the portions are much smaller in England...we serve such huge portions here! Also, you will WALK AND WALK AND WALK - - it'll be so much fun!! Just enjoy! Oh, and they are much more elegant and thoughtful about meals - enjoy the unique experience. Try tea at Harrods.....what a blast! Denise
  • pettmybunny
    pettmybunny Posts: 1,986 Member
    Options
    We're going next month as well... Last time we stayed, we had a place that had a kitchenette, so it was nice to be able to fix our own food. Loved the fresh fruit at the Tesco. I remember I got wonderful raspberries, that said they were a product of the USA, and they were in better condition than any I've bought in a store here at home.

If any Londoners pop on here... I have a question. I have dairy and egg allergies. To replace the dairy, I drink oat milk, almond milk, hemp milk and soy milk. Are those readily available at places like Tesco? Thanks...
  • melville88
    Options
    I'll be going in 2 weeks and am worried. It is not so much the British food as it is eating out 3 times a day for 2 weeks. I will be eating at an on-site cafeteria for lunch. It seems like most of their sandwiches are mayo based - bleh. I will make the best choices I can and try to get my workouts in. For dinners, I try to do Indian as much as I can. I need to do my research on the best Indian choices to make.

Yeah there are a lot of mayo based sandwiches, that is true- maybe get something like turkey though. whenever i buy a pre=packed sandwich, i always scrape off what i can of the fattier things on it like butter, mayo etc. if you're going to eat at indians then it is best to get the tandoori dishes- these are meats cooked dry with the sauce served seperately- it's best to not eat all of the sauce because that's where the majority of the calories are. Otherwise go for dahls made from split peas and lentils. I'd avoid any proper 'curries' in indian restaurants- they use a lot of ghee in their cooking and a lot of coconut and cream- they tend to use these things to tone down the hotness for the British palate. x
  • melville88
    Options
    We're going next month as well... Last time we stayed, we had a place that had a kitchenette, so it was nice to be able to fix our own food. Loved the fresh fruit at the Tesco. I remember I got wonderful raspberries, that said they were a product of the USA, and they were in better condition than any I've bought in a store here at home.

If any Londoners pop on here... I have a question. I have dairy and egg allergies. To replace the dairy, I drink oat milk, almond milk, hemp milk and soy milk. Are those readily available at places like Tesco? Thanks...

Definitely soy milk is available at tescos. I haven't heard of hemp milk or oat milk but I think I've seen almond milk on the shelves. There are a lot of dairy alternatives available in Tesco, just have a good look around. x
  • AllisonMO
    AllisonMO Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    If you are going to log in on MFP, you'll find that a number of the supermarket takeaways are in the system already. You will have lots of choices in soups and salads and grilled meats. My downfall is always hotel breakfasts,
  • abredbenner
    abredbenner Posts: 125 Member
    Options

Yeah there are a lot of mayo based sandwiches, that is true- maybe get something like turkey though. whenever i buy a pre=packed sandwich, i always scrape off what i can of the fattier things on it like butter, mayo etc. if you're going to eat at indians then it is best to get the tandoori dishes- these are meats cooked dry with the sauce served seperately- it's best to not eat all of the sauce because that's where the majority of the calories are. Otherwise go for dahls made from split peas and lentils. I'd avoid any proper 'curries' in indian restaurants- they use a lot of ghee in their cooking and a lot of coconut and cream- they tend to use these things to tone down the hotness for the British palate. x

Thanks for the info - the one huge difference between the US and UK is portion size. The US portions could feed 2 or 3. I forgot about butter on the sandwiches. I'll have to remember that one. I love granary (sp?) bread! That is the one thing that I look forward to when eating in the cafeteria.
  • melville88
    Options
    Tesco also sell rice milk x
  • pettmybunny
    pettmybunny Posts: 1,986 Member
    Options

Definitely soy milk is available at tescos. I haven't heard of hemp milk or oat milk but I think I've seen almond milk on the shelves. There are a lot of dairy alternatives available in Tesco, just have a good look around. x

Tesco also sell rice milk x

Thanks guys! That takes a big worry off my mind!
  • SimonLondon
    SimonLondon Posts: 350
    Options
    Morrisons also do a lot of healthy foods and milks. I'm lucky that I live 1 minute away from one :)

You can also buy a lot of ready made (nothing added) salads and stir fry ingrediants etc. I buy these a lot because I hate waste and I don't want to have to eat the same meal 3 times a week to use it all up :laugh:
  • PurplePumpkin
    Options
    Im from the UK too and have been to America.
    Few things:
    - If you are eating out the portion sizes are much much much smaller.
    - the salads in some places don't even come with dressings!!!
    - things like mcdonalds are the same size, well the burgers at least, I believe the fries (as you call then) are smaller over here.
    - as someone mentioned our fresh food is actually fresh with no crap in it, such as apples they don't have the weird wax layer over it and the the bread isn't full of sugar.
    - if you from a hotter part of america you'll burn more calories staying warm!!! :)

Food labels - we do our per portion very differently, stick to looking at the 100g information, look at the front of pack, see how big your serving is and multiple the 100g figure by the serving size/100!!
    If for example you looking at fat, in 100g it may be 5g, this means 5%, just multiple the serving size by 5% and you'll get the amount of fat your about to eat.

Hope that makes sense!!
  • jodi_bannister
    jodi_bannister Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I am an American and have lived in the UK for the last 8 years. I actually find it much easier to eat healthy in the UK. I tend to have lots of fresh fruit and veg. You can buy these in supermarkets, but also on the market stalls when you are walking around town. You can make your own sandwiches easily enough or buy the 'healthy living' ones from the supermarket. Our water is really nice here, but bottled water is available everywhere! Most restaurants have healthy options on the menu, you just have to look for them. Order a salad or fresh vegetables instead of chips and fresh fruit for a desert.

It's funny about the peas, though. My sister said the same thing when she came to visit us! :laugh:
  • Gailey
    Gailey Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Hi,

As a UK user of MFP, I can't imagine you will have much problem.
    Most of the main stuff is on MPF - and eating out will bring you smaller portions...so easier to be aware.
    Try subway too, for fresh stuff that is easy to calculate and listed on MPF.
    Enjoy your trip :))
  • SuzMcH
    SuzMcH Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    Agree with all comments. I'm in UK and have spent quite a lot of time in US.

Jsut remember if having an hotel breakfast you won't even get offered french toats, maple syrup etc So you can easily choose fresh fruit, poached eggs etc.

If you go for Indian have tomato based curry and not cream based.

Some chain restaurnats like Pizza Express and Wagamama have nutritional values online so you could check those before you come over.

You can PM me if you need anymore specific help. I'm in UK and on same calories as you each day so happy to help. x
  • becca09
    becca09 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I live in the UK, ive always wanted to visit the US but this is making me worry lol i would go with my boyfriend, in which case we might as well order 1 meal and share it, some of the UK portions are a bit big for me now, im used to eating less now. we ordered a chinese the other week and i could only just manage a fourth of the noodles (i only like noodles so thats the only thing i eat from there, my dad eats it all :O )
    in our supermarkets we have loads of healthy options all fruit, veg and food have nutritional info on.

here are the links to some UK supermarkets, so you can get a better idea of what we have on offer:
    Tesco:- http://www.tesco.com/
    Morrisons:- http://www.morrisons.co.uk/
    Sainsburys:- http://www.sainsburys.co.uk/sol/index.jsp
    Marks and Spencers (M&S):- http://tiny.cc/ibd4k
    Asda:- http://www.asda.co.uk/corp/home.html
    Somerfield:- http://www.somerfield.co.uk/
    The Co-op:- http://www.co-operative.coop/food/

most restaurants and on most of the supermarket websites above have nutritional info on them.
    Have fun on your trip.
    Just remember to bring an umbrella ;)